“Looks better than it is”
Review of Cisswood House

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Decor dated, paintwork scuffed and dirty in places, in urgent need of refurb, I have stayed on 2separate occasions, Food on one of the nights I was there was dreadful - risotto with asparagus and balsamic - the latter was overpowering - never ate there again in the evening, Breakfast mediocre, Pool - very 1960s, Rooms - not enough light to work by, I asked to change the first room I was given on one stay as the lighting was so bad, Staff were mostly very pleasant - but on some occasions both evening and breakfast there were no staff to be found

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Guest

I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to your stay with us back in September.
I have never had it mentioned to me in the past that the lighting in the rooms is not enough to work by and so I apologise you found this difficult during your time with us.
Painting within the hotel corridors took place at the end of September through to the beginning of October.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the risotto dish on our menu and I will raise your comments with my Head Chef.
I find it quite concerning you mentioned there were no staff around during breakfast service and evening meal service times as there is always a duty manager on shift with at least one additional member of staff.
I thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor it is only with both positive and negative comments we can continue to improve and strive to provide consistently excellent guest experiences.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

we had our wedding here in august and would recommend this place in a heart beat. the staff are incredibly friendly and take customer service to a whole new level and let me say that i am very picky and can be a real pain with regard to details and my expectations and they could not do for us and made our wedding day the best it could be.Nicky and Vicky and there staff are premier league when it comes to ensuring everything is done smoothly and is perfect.As for the hotel itself it is such a beautiful old fashioned hotel with all the associated quirks and comfort.we are going back for christmas and can't wait.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mark

Thank you for your kind words, it was mine and the teams pleasure to host your special day at Cisswood and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

The team were delighted to read your review as was I and to know we made your day the best it could be is fabulous to hear.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

After booking a deal with this hotel I chose a room upgrade with the hotel direct on booking for a four poster bed. On arrival they told my partner that it was a four poster room. It was supposed to be a surprise. The room was a little grubby round the edges the lights had cobwebs and dust on them. The room was small and unfortunately not really worth the money.
The food was good and the staff fantastic. But I probably wont hurry back. Sorry

1  Thank POOLGUY1

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am pleased to read there were positives to your stay here at Cisswood House and thank you for your kind words about my team.

I apologise that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our normal high standards and this has been addressed with my head housekeeper.

I am sorry you felt that the room was not worth the upgrade fee you had paid, had this have been raised with my Duty manager at the time we would have been more than happy to show you some alternative bedrooms to choose from.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

There are some very nice things about this hotel. Firstly the staff are all polite and helpful. The location and character of the hotel are great. The swimming pool, gym, jacuzzi and sauna were all good. And the menu offered at the restaurant was excellent - everything I ate was lovely - although the meals were a little dry at the edges from waiting on a hot plate.

Unfortunately though there were quite a few negatives:

- I feel that we paid a LOT for our room. £169 for a room only - no breakfast included. Have seen other reviews saying that they were offered an upgrade on arrival, free bottle house wine, free spa treatments etc. Felt a bit ripped off.
- When I arrived the first thing I noticed was that the disabled parking area was well signed but then from there all access was via stairs. There may have been an accessible entrance somewhere but that wasn't signed from the parking area. No lift and small corridors (it's an old building) mean that I wouldn't recommend for wheelchair users.
- No mobile phone signal. We had left our young children with godparents and felt very nervous not being contactable. Would have been good to have known in advance.
- As I unpacked my suitcases I heard a couple having sex next door. Thin walls. Not a great start.
- In the shower there was blood in between the tiles. It made me think that someone might have been murdered in there. It came off easily which made me wonder how well the rooms are cleaned.
- Selected continental breakfast - mainly because it offered a platter of cold meat and cheese in addition to cereal, toast, pastries and fruit. When I asked where the platter was I was told by a young waitress "Oh we don't do that anymore. I suppose we should take it off the menu shouldn't we, giggle giggle."

If you can get a good deal and need somewhere near Gatwick to stay then it's perfectly adequate. But for a romantic break save your money and pick a nice B&B.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
1  Thank Jo B

Dear Jo B

Thank you for taking the time to review Cisswood House hotel, I am delighted to read your positive comments as I am sure my team will be.

The reviews you have seen here where free bottles of wine, free treatments etc have been included – these are not as you say free they have been purchased as part of an offer we ran sometime ago in which Wine when taking dinner in our Restaurant and two 25 minute treatments where included – the guests then had a limited time to purchase and use their voucher.

We do have disabled access ramps which can be put in place for use by our guests and as you know disabled parking is located at reception enabling us to call upon the team to place the portable ramps when needed. As you quite rightly say our building is not new and we have to work with the footprint we have – our disabled rooms have their own access and again are located close to reception.

All bedrooms are equipped with direct dial telephones, and our staff would have been happy to locate you within the hotel had we received calls for you.

I have asked my Head Housekeeper to deep clean all of our bathrooms and can only apologise that our cleanliness was not up to scratch on this occasion – further training has been implemented to avoid any repeat of this situation.

In regards to breakfast, again further training has been instigated in regards to the items that we have available on our breakfast menu – we do offer cheese and meat plates for those guests selecting a continental breakfast and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Booked for one night after purchasing a voucher from Living social deals for £99 for 2 people B&B to include 2 spa treatments and a bottle of house wine with the evening meal. What great value this turned out to be, on arrival were told we had been upgraded. We had a light lunch while waiting to be checked in and after that had a swim and jacuzzi before our afternoon treatments. The rest of the day was finished off with a superb meal in the restaurant. Our room ( room 14) was large and clean as was the rest of the hotel. We found all the staff very courteous and helpful. The pool area was undergoing refurbishment work while we were there but we did not find this off putting. Hotel was not busy while we were there but it still had a warm cosy feel to it and the wi-fi worked well. Breakfast was very good as well.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 14 which was large, warm and comfortable. Could not hear any other guests but Deliver...
2  Thank ChrisJ36
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I know the team will be thoroughly pleased and encouraged to read your review also.
I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope we will see you back at the hotel again in the future.

Once again thank you for writing about your experience at Cisswood House Hotel.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here for the night before flying off from Gatwick,despite the power cut we had a nice stay,Staff were very friendly and the room was big and well kept,cant comment on food as we had an early start.
Location was good and the place had character.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrinklowSello

Dear Guest

My apologies that your stay was interrupted by the power outage we had in the area, as I am sure you appreciate this was beyond our control and the weather was against us!
I am pleased this did not reflect badly on your time with us and I thank you for your kind words about the team and the hotel.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the not to distant future.
Many thanks once again.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here free of charge as part of a deal with my car insurance company the night before we flew out from Gatwick. Absolutely ideal, as it was an easy 15 min drive up to the airport in the morning.

Hotel is very nice, old wood panelling everywhere, but in places a little shabby. Nothing to worry about and our room was perfectly acceptable, comfortable bed, clean and well stocked with all we needed for the night. Didn't use the spa/gym facilities, nor did we bother with breakfast as we were eating in the airport.

Receptionist and bar/restaurant staff were all very friendly and all in all we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SomersetSpud

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at Cisswood House Hotel and for your kind words about my team. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again, perhaps on your next trip out of Gatwick or for a relaxing spa stay where you could make full use of all of our facilities.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Beeding
Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Wimblehurst Hotel
Wimblehurst Hotel
#6 of 6 in Horsham

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!