“Lovely stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked (for the first time) this hotel through a special offer and found it to be great value. The staff were very polite and extremely helpful. The room was spacious, neat and clean. We also had to go through lots of doors (7) to get to our room but there were plenty of outside exits to choose from when leaving the room, it wasn't a problem. We dined at the hotel with friends on the Saturday evening and the food was excellent as was the service and staff. The garden was well tended with outside seating.
The spa treatment was great. Myself and my partner (male) both enjoyed a facial and massage. We didn't get to the pool but it looked clean and inviting. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest

I was so delighted to read your lovely review.
I note your comments about there being many doors and am pleased they did not have a negative impact on your stay, they are of course there for the health and safety of all our guests.
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Once again thank you for your review.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I booked this hotel through Living Social Deals The deal included an overnight stay, full English breakfast, full use of the spa and two spa treatments.

As the weather forecast was so good, I booked on Tuesday to arrive on Wednesday. The deal is good, but the spa treatments included turned out to be just for women, (which I wasn't aware of until the receptionist (Emily) informed me that a massage was not included in the deal) so I paid extra for a massage for my husband as I couldn't see him enjoying a rosewater facial, nourishing hair treatment, eye repair treatment or hand treatment! The receptionist booked the treatments - massage 1 pm and two further treatments at 3pm and 3.30pm. She said that these were the only appointments available. However, when we made our way to the spa room, the beauty therapist couldn't understand why the treatments had been booked at these times because she was free for our treatments to run concurrently.

Although check in is from 2pm, we had to arrive early for the massage. We were also misinformed by the receptionist that if our room wasn't ready, we would have full use of the spa if we wished. It didn't actually open until 2pm. However, I asked the receptionist (Stephanie) to double check if our room was ready and fortunately, it was. The room was fantastic - spacious and clean with everything we needed, such as hairdryer, iron and ironing board, fan, tea, coffee, toiletries and wonderful shortbread biscuits which looked home-baked. The bed was huge, but the pillows were a bit hard.

The gardens are amazing and we soaked up the rays after a fabulous afternoon tea.

We used the pool, which is a bit small, but we were lucky enough to have it to ourselves and also made use of the sauna and gym equipment. The Jacuzzi was very hot with a temperature of 40 degs and I couldn't work out how to turn it down, so it was just too hot to sit in. I also couldn't get all the jets to work. (but this might have just been me)

The food quality was excellent. I had roast belly pork, but the skin hadn't crackled, which surprised me as it is very easy to do with this cut of meat. The steak was cooked to perfection, but had to ask for a steak knife.

Breakfast was fabulous - good selection of cereals and juices, yoghurts and pastries. Full English was lovely.

Service was a bit slow, but we found the staff to be extremely polite and helpful - nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel very welcome.

My only criticism would be that the younger staff need a little 'polishing' and need to make sure they have enough knowledge to answer any queries. Apart from that, Cisswood House is a beautiful place and we would most definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in Room 12. This room doesn't have a view, but it's very spacious and well equipped...
1 Thank silversally
Dear Guest

Firstly my apologies over the communication issues at reception, I believe we did have some technical issues with our spa diary at this time which would account for the odd timings with the spa bookings. I have addressed the training needs within the team on our opening times in the leisure club to avoid a repeat of the wrong information being given out.

I am sorry you felt the treatments were not suited to your partner, all our treatments are suitable for men and women and all have an element of massage on this particular package.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed stay overall and would like to return, my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Cockfosters
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I booked this trip through special offer & we got great value.
I asked for a room where we wouldn't have to go through loads of doors as spoken of by other reviewers,but because of Heath & safety regs I suppose in old buildings you have to have fire doors.
Once we got to our room (we were told it was a good one) we were pleasantly surprised,a four poster bed in a large room with a large very clean bathroom.
No view but we were only going to sleep there so no problem.
The staff were very friendly & helpful.
The meals were very good. We had a problem with the steaks coming up over cooked, but they quickly replaced them with fresh rare steaks which were very good. They even gave me a coffee & brandy to say sorry which was very good of them.
The breakfast was very good as well.
That leaves the massages we had which were also enjoyable.
So thank you one & all at the hotel.

Room Tip: Talk to the team at the hotel. They looked after us.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am pleased you found my team helpful and friendly and you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a short break and had a lovely time food and drinks were great and there was a good variety for breakfast. We used the spa which was quite dated but had what we needed. The garden was also a nice relaxing place to use. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, we even complemented the manager about this.The rooms were a bit old but comfy enough. We would most definitely go back again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Pippip7

I was so pleased to read your review, as were the rest of my team.
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The property is very picturesque, set in beautiful grounds. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in a four poster room which was very large with an en-suite bathroom, the bed was very comfortable but the room did get very hot during the night. There were tea an coffee facilities in the bedroom. Breakfast was superb, every taste had been accounted for and was nicely laid out. It was a lovely sunny morning so we had coffee in the garden.

Room Tip: Ask for one with card entry, some still use a key. Some rooms are a long way from reception and the...
Dear Gill B

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Cisswood House.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I spend the bankholiday weekend (except monday) at Cisswood House. The Hotel is very lovely and the stuff over all is very nice. Unfortunately I forgot my mobile there. I called and asked to have my mobile send home by DHL, a service I was obviously going to pay for. The first receptionist, an english guy, was as we are use from english people in service, very kind and helpful. I send an email but not reply followed as to how much DHL would cost etc. Something pretty normal as it was the bankhoiday monday. I recalled again to find out if my mail arrived and a very unfriendly french receptionist picked up the phone. she pretended to have my credit card details without telling me how much DHL would cost. I once more said that I would send an email, if she could reply with the DHL cost and I would then give my credit card details, I asked, to have some english colleague also in copy as having lived in Paris for 5 years, my experience was very bad and wanted to avoid bad experiences. I had to recall few times only to hear that the Hotel was waiting for DHL to tell the exact cost. To my surprise suddenly I received an email from the GM telling me that as I refused to give my credit card nr to her french receptionist I should call myself DHL and find out about the costs. Nothing against this but the reaction was childish as it was mentioned to me 48hours after I left the Hotel. I do recommend the Hotel as it is nice, but make sure you will not forget anything as the non uk reception staff is not helpful at all and very immature. Personally I will never again stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Giulio B
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guilio

I could write a very detailed response including all your emails to me detailing your verbal abuse towards my team and dislike for French citizens which I found appalling and deeply offensive as did my staff but I see no point in helping you to air your views and ignorance any more.

We are very helpful at Cisswood house hotel and often send lost property back to guests which we have no problem in doing so, your review is really not a true reflection of actual events and correspondence.

My suggestion that it may be easier for you to contact DHL directly was because your emails, which were addressed to myself, had very specific instructions on where and how you wanted your mobile delivered, the delivery address was changed from the original request, you did not want to give any details to my reception team at all about payment and they do not have use of a company card to have paid DHL directly themselves and I was on annual leave unable to deal with this at the hotel myself.

In all my years at Cisswood House Hotel I have never experienced such prejudice against a member of my team and am sorry I find myself for the first time in the position of having to say I would most certainly would not welcome you back to this hotel.
West Sussex
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed recently overnight for a friends wedding which was being held at the hotel. We decided to stay as it was quite a way away from home and thought we'd make a night of it.
The hotel had a nice country feel and had nice gardens. Car park was large and there were plenty of spaces.
Check in was prompt and our room was available which was great so we could dump our bags. We made our way to room 8 and our first thoughts were how hot the upstairs corridors were (I think we were above the kitchens). We opened all the windows in our room and went downstairs to enjoy the wedding.
Food and drink was great for the wedding party, and we all had a very enjoyable time. Drinks prices were fairly reasonable.
When we retired to bed the rooms and corridors were still far too hot. It was like the heating had been left on. We left the windows open in our room but were kept awake by a very noisy fan from the kitchen outside the window.
Rooms were well appointed, bed comfortable and a good size. The shower was poor and the water pressure wasn't very good. Nevertheless it was adequate.
We were told upon check in that breakfast was served until 10.30am. We went down to breakfast at 10.05am to be told that no we couldn't have a table, even though there was still a buffet out. When I advised the young member of staff that we had been told 10.30 they reluctantly sat us down but didn't offer anything else, such as toast etc so we were subject to slightly cold leftovers. All I wanted was some toast. Anyway, the sausages were nice which was a bonus.
We paid £135 as a special wedding rate. I am not sure that I would have said that the rate was right, £100 is more acceptable I think, especially for a hotel away from things. I have recently seen the hotel online for £150 B & B and I think this is very steep, especially as the hotel is rated as 3 star on some websites.
I am not surprised to read that this hotel is 2 out of 2 hotels in Lower Beeding, and to be fair, I think its very hard for it to compete with South Lodge, the other hotel in Lower Beeding. I have stayed there a couple of times before and it is in a completely different league and in hindsight I wish I had booked there instead.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lou_lou84

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your friends wedding here at Cisswood and on the whole you enjoyed your stay.

We have been extremely lucky in England this year to have enjoyed some summer weather for once! unfortunately this does make it difficult to keep bedrooms and corridors cool when temperatures outside are well into the 30s. Each bedroom does have its own large portable fan although no air conditioning.

I apologise if you were given the wrong information at check in as breakfast is only served until 10 am on the weekend as stated in our guest directories in the bedrooms. I also apologise for our shortfall in customer service in the restaurant I will raise these issues with the relevant department heads to address.

I note your comments with regards to our prices and our neighbouring hotel, you will know the establishment you reference us against is a 5 star property thus offering a completely different level of product to us and their prices reflect this.

We are an independent country house hotel offering a professional, personable service within comfortable surroundings, our menus and facilities are price reflective and are competitive within the local area.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Beeding
Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Cottesmore Golf and Country Club

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!