“Spa pamper day”
Review of Cisswood House

Cisswood House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My friend was given this spa day as a Christmas gift and in turn treated me to the same as a thank you gift. We arrived at 10am and was immediately offered tea and coffee in the lounge. All of the staff were very helpful and courteous. We were given a lovely hotel bedroom with en suite, near the spa and treatment rooms, to use for the day which was a lovely surprise. I've been on many spa days to various locations but have never been given a hotel room, at no extra cost, for use during the whole day.
Our first treatment was a half hour facial each. This was very disappointing! The pads placed over my eyes were cool and not warm like other facials I've had. A face mask was applied to my face and was left on there for 5 - 7 mins, which is too long out of a 30 min session, before it was wiped off flippantly. I felt as though there was still face mask left on my skin when the next product was applied. And to crown it all, it was all over in 25mins. This was the poorest facial I'd ever experienced. Very wishy washy!

So, on to the 60 minute full body massage with salt scrub and hot towels I had treated my friend and I to. It was her first so she didn't know what to expect. I was taken from the main building to a room outside which looked like an outhouse. The outside door led straight into the treatment room. It was cold in there and I had to ask for a heater to be put on 15 mins into the massage as I was frozen. THERE WERE NO HOT TOWELS AND NO SALT SCRUB with this massage despite being advertised as such!! Just massage oil. This was extremely disappointing. Another major complaint was that the towels laying on the massage bed which I was directly lying upon were not clean and had previously been used at least a few times. They felt oily and were certainly soiled. Again, the hour massaging session only lasted 50-55 mins and I was back out before the hour was up!! Overall, I would give the spa treatments a very poor 4 out of 10 all things considered.

A two course lunch was included in the very reasonably priced spa day. This was excellent and very good value served in a lovely dining room. Afternoon tea was served in the beautiful garden. This was also very generous with a selection of sandwiches, cakes and homemade, warm scones with cream and jam and a generous pot of earl grey each.

The pool is small but adequate providing there are no more than 3 or 4 people in it at one time. The gym is well equipped. The bedroom was clean with a very modern bathroom, tea and coffee facilities, a large flat screen tv and it was beautifully furnished with luxury drapes and cushions.

Overall, considering the price of the spa day which included a day bedroom, lunch, afternoon tea and one 30min spa treatment, all for under £60, it was good value but my main recommendation is for the spa staff to bring their treatments and hygiene standards up to scratch and give the products as advertised. Both of the treatments were poor and the towels need to be replaced after each client and not made to last for the whole day. I found this rather off-putting! Would I return? Possibly considering the cost, the lovely food and the staff but I would be apprehensive about the treatments!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We visited this hotel for lunch for the first time and were quite impressed with the menu, cooking and the service. Be aware the meals in the evening are double the lunch price and there are probably less expensive places elsewhere.
The hotel is surrounded by an attractive garden with azaleas and rhododerons and is very pleasant to sit in. The hotel is probably in need of a makeover particularly the front steps, reception area and the corridors.

We will probably have lunch there again. Staff were very pleasant and helpful..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2013

A friend and I went to Cisswood House Hotel for the pamper day it was excellent from the moment we stepped through to reception to the minute we went home.
All of the staff are courteous,polite and very helpful,nothing was too much trouble and there was a wedding for them to look after as well as the day people.The treatments are basic ,the gym well equipped,the pool great for leisure time ,spa hot tub,solarium and sauna all perfect for a relaxing day.But the food ,well it was superb and beautifully cooked and presented,warm plates and attentive service .Particular thanks go to Steph for her extreme thoughtfulness in making sure we were warm as the day was inclement .We were provided with our own bedroom ensuite for the day so we could leave our belongings there and make beverages which was a plus.We would recommend going there and will be back especially if the summer does arrive so we can sit in the garden for afternoon tea.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LordieLordie
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was a treat for three older friends to catch up and have a bit of us time! On arrival we were made very welcome and offered a tea or coffee, we were then given a tour of the facilities which included the. swimming pool, sauna and the gym. The gym is very small but as we weren't planning to use it, it wasn't an issue for us.
After the tour we sat in the very welcoming reception and talked, it was so relaxing that the time ran away with so our intention to use the swimming pool didn't happen.
The lunch was lovely, in the brochure it said a light lunch, it consisted of three courses of a varied menu and once a again the staff were pleasant, helpful and polite.
We then went for our pre arranged treatments, we had been provided with a room for the day near the facilities. The room was pleasant and the gowns, slippers and towels had been provided, we were all pleased that the gowns actually fitted instead of being on the small size.
The spa treatment area is small but cozy, the staff are excellent and the facial treatment is worth the money, we all agreed that it was one of the best that we have had!
Afternoon tea was very large with a selection of sandwiches, scones, cupcakes and tea and coffee, again we were left to chat and relax.
I would recommend this pamper day, as we all felt that we had been treated very well, we came away relaxed and most important felt that we certainly had value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alfieinwestsussex
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Lovely hotel can't say a bad thing about it. Stayed night used swimming pool and had spa treatments which was first class. Staff were attentive. Breakfast was amazing lots of choice and fresh ingredients. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had good size double which was big
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We booked this trip via Spa Breaks. One of reasons we chose Cisswood was the pool looked so lovely in the photos - this was the biggest disappointment. The pool is tiny, more than two people and it's crowded. The sauna is by the pool so unisex. There are only 3 communal showers in the Ladies changing room with no shampoo/conditioner/body wash or body lotion supplied and the whole area very cramped. The bedroom was nice and spacious with a good size well fitted bathroom, but limited supplies. Only regular tea and coffee - no herbal teas, no biscuits, no water, no fruit. Food in the restaurant was very good as was the service. The gardens are nice but somewhat unkempt and there is a very noisy main road running along the gardens which you can't see but can certainly hear. The spa treatment included in the package was quite good but this is tucked away in a far corner of the hotel and is only opened when someone has booked a treatment. In general, a nice hotel for an overnight stay if you're on your way to the airport, but certainly not recommended for a relaxing spa break.

Room Tip: In the main house, closer to all facilities
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tina T
Reviewed April 29, 2013

“A Very Big Thank You“

Thinking of having your wedding in the near future at Cisswood House, if they look after you as they have just done on my daughter’s wedding day you will not have a better wedding. All the staff there made our day very special.

We looked at many venues as my daughter wanted an outside ceremony. From the moment we first spoke to Cisswood and throughout the process also leading up to the day they have made us feel so welcome and nothing was a problem for them.

We stayed at the hotel the night before and ate in the restaurant. The food was excellent, we even had an experienced chef in our party and he commented on the quality and presentation of the food.

On the big day we were made to feel relaxed and the staff could not do enough for us. Even some of our guests arriving early were allowed to check into their rooms if the rooms were ready, again another nice touch by the hotel. The food served on the day was hot and very enjoyable and all our guests enjoyed the food. Special dietary needs were catered for without any problems or fuss by the hotel.

Your daughter’s wedding day is a very special occasion. I would be the first person to complain if things on the hotel side were not right. I can honestly say we did not have one single problem on the day. Our rooms were clean and tidy, the food was excellent and the staff were fantastic. My wife and I relaxed and enjoyed the day along with the guests.

A very big thank you to you all at Cisswood House Hotel and a special mention to Nicky and Vikki for making the process of planning the day and the lead up to the day so painless. Also Martinet and Gary were superb along with the team on the day.

We, without doubt, could not have had a better wedding day. Thank you all at Cisswood for making the day so special, anyone due to have a wedding there should have a great day as we did!

We will be back to eat and drink in the near future!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sussexandrew
Vikki M, General Manager at Cisswood House, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Andy and Ann

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am so pleased myself and the team were able to give you all such a memorable day.
It really has been a pleasure to have been able to host your daughters wedding here at Cisswood and to work with you both and Alison and Rafik in the months leading up to the wedding.
Although the weather was a bit touch and go on the day I am glad we managed to have an outside ceremony for you, as I know it was so important to Alison and Rafik.
I wish them both many years of happiness together and hope they are now relaxing on their honeymoon enjoying married life!
I know I speak for Nicky, Gary, Martinet and all the team, in saying we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Travelodge Horsham Central Hotel
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Cisswood House? Share your experiences!