This was our second stay at South Lodge. We stayed here for 1 night in August because we were meeting some friends who live in the area.
On arrival our room was not ready but our bags were stored for us while we had afternoon tea. Whilst the pastries were fine, the sandwiches / rolls were cold and somewhat dry – disappointingly it all had the semblance of having been prepared several hours earlier.
Once our room was ready, we were shown to a lovely room in the original part of the hotel and which overlooked the gardens. We then went to the bar for some drinks and on return realised that our room was directly above a terrace that adjoined the function suite. The terrace was being used by numerous wedding guests wanting to smoke. On discussion with reception we were advised that the wedding was not scheduled to finish until midnight so we asked to be moved to room away from the function suite. This was done with no fuss and we were given a room in the new wing which I have to say was beautiful. The room and the bathroom were both enormous and in more contemporary style than the rooms in the old wing.
We had dinner in “The Pass” restaurant. If you are not used to London restaurant prices you may think it expensive but it was sublime. The menu works on the tasting concept and every single course was faultless – having eaten in restaurants with 3 Michelin stars, if this restaurant does not win any it will be a complete travesty. The head chef (Matt) worked tirelessly alongside his team and could even be seen with his rubber gloves on cleaning the stoves at the end of service.
I have seen many poor reviews of the food in the Camellia restaurant on TA. Seated in “The Pass” you can also see into the Camellia kitchen. Hotel management should note that the head chef of Camellia seemed to spend all evening half sitting on pass chatting – meanwhile the poor chef on the centre island station spent all evening running himself ragged. At the end of their service head chef immediately disappeared only returning once the cleaning was finished – he would do well to take a few lessons from Matt.
Overall we had a great time and will be returning soon – not least to have dinner in the Pass again.
Only think I would say to the hotel is “please build a Spa” and it would then become a real destination hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winner of the Gold Award for 'Large Hotel of the Year' at the Beautiful South Awards 2015, South Lodge is less than an hour from Central London and nestles amongst 93 acres of stunning woodland and parkland. A magnificent, former family country house - it's the perfect place to relax and unwind whilst indulging yourself with fine wine, gourmet food and unbeatable horizons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your South Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- South Hotel Lower Beeding
- South Lodge Hotel Lower Beeding, West Sussex, England