“Great”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
London
“Great”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This was our second stay at South Lodge. We stayed here for 1 night in August because we were meeting some friends who live in the area.

On arrival our room was not ready but our bags were stored for us while we had afternoon tea. Whilst the pastries were fine, the sandwiches / rolls were cold and somewhat dry – disappointingly it all had the semblance of having been prepared several hours earlier.

Once our room was ready, we were shown to a lovely room in the original part of the hotel and which overlooked the gardens. We then went to the bar for some drinks and on return realised that our room was directly above a terrace that adjoined the function suite. The terrace was being used by numerous wedding guests wanting to smoke. On discussion with reception we were advised that the wedding was not scheduled to finish until midnight so we asked to be moved to room away from the function suite. This was done with no fuss and we were given a room in the new wing which I have to say was beautiful. The room and the bathroom were both enormous and in more contemporary style than the rooms in the old wing.

We had dinner in “The Pass” restaurant. If you are not used to London restaurant prices you may think it expensive but it was sublime. The menu works on the tasting concept and every single course was faultless – having eaten in restaurants with 3 Michelin stars, if this restaurant does not win any it will be a complete travesty. The head chef (Matt) worked tirelessly alongside his team and could even be seen with his rubber gloves on cleaning the stoves at the end of service.
I have seen many poor reviews of the food in the Camellia restaurant on TA. Seated in “The Pass” you can also see into the Camellia kitchen. Hotel management should note that the head chef of Camellia seemed to spend all evening half sitting on pass chatting – meanwhile the poor chef on the centre island station spent all evening running himself ragged. At the end of their service head chef immediately disappeared only returning once the cleaning was finished – he would do well to take a few lessons from Matt.

Overall we had a great time and will be returning soon – not least to have dinner in the Pass again.

Only think I would say to the hotel is “please build a Spa” and it would then become a real destination hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katkin1965
SLHrelations, Relations Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2009
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback and also for your observations. I am so happy you had a great stay with us and rest assured a Spa is part of the long term vision for South Lodge so I am sure it could happen one day. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed a great stay at South Lodge Hotel last weekend. We were greeted on arrival with friendliness and efficiency, and our room was fantastic. Service in the bar and restaurant was very good, and the quality of the food was excellent. The attention to detail and personal touches were impressive and contribute to the feeling that the guests really do come first, which many hotels sadly struggle to achieve.

So often hotels fail to live up to the promises of their publicity, but South Lodge delivered on all fronts and we look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
SLHrelations, Relations Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2009
Thank you very very much for your kind recognition. I have shared this with the team and we very much hope to welcome you back in the future.
sandown isle of wight
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We were guests at my nephew's wedding at South Lodge Hotel and it was gorgeous. Although we were not fortunate enough to stay overnight, we visited my nephew's room and were amazed by everything about it.

The service during the wedding was exceptional and everywhere you turned, there was someone ready to assist you, whether it be finding your way through the maze of historical corridors, or just getting served generally. Well done, Chris and Amy for your absolutely excellent service and Mike apologises for polishing off the delicious Pimms!

If I am lucky enough to be able to afford a weekend away in luxury, South Lodge is definitely where we will go!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
SLHrelations, Relations Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2009
Thank you very much for your kind comments I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back.
London, England
Reviewed July 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the hotel in June for two nights in June. We stayed in a suite in the new part of the building. Although the room was big - it was empty and lacked the character I had experienced on a previous stay in one of the rooms in the old building. There was no air conditioning, and with temperatures of 30 degrees C that weekend - it was very uncomfortable. The bathroom was large, but the shower was consistently cold, and wanst fixed upon our request. At £750 per night this room was grossly overpriced. I even had to ask for showergel, shampoo and conditioner! The breakfast was not included, and was not cooked to order, which meant that pre cooked eggs were hard, and bacon dry. I wouldnt recommend having breakfast at the hotel for this reason. Its a shame the hotel has dropped its standards and raised its prices dramatically since my previous stay in 2006. I would return again as the grounds are lovely, and the sitting areas cosy; but only to visit for afternoon tea.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
SLHrelations, Relations Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2009
It's great to hear your feedback about our new bedrooms but clearly you prefer the traditional bedrooms which are unique and different. A good twenty percent of our rooms are air conditioned so please request one next time and we will do our best to accommodate.
Our chefs are now cooking eggs to order for the extensive buffet service we have at weekends.
North East England
Reviewed July 28, 2009

My wife and I took a 3 nights for the cost of 2 break, and on arrival was surprised at the quality of the building, and the wonderful grounds. We were upgraded to a lovely large bedroom with views over the grounds. We were aware that there was two dining rooms, and on the first night decided to try The Pass. This restaurant is a tasting restaurant, with 7, 8, or 9 courses, and wines to complement each course. I have to say that we both found this an incredible dining experience,and although a little expensive, truly memorable. To watch the chefs cook your meal on a monitor in an open plan kitchen was something we will both remember for a long time.
On the second night we decided to eat in the Camellia restaurant,and have not been as dissapointed with food produced in a fine dining restaurant for a long long time. My starter, a fish cake,was tasteless, and my main course,which was steak, was no larger than the top of a cup, served very rare, when it should have been medium, and both starter, and main course served on cold plates. I found the room, although quaint, could have done with a candle on each table, as the ambience created was dull and miserable. In my opinion the meal was much to highly priced, and to pay £150.00 for two 2 course meals with a bottle of wine at approx £28.00 is way over the top. Desserts at an average of £12 each, is particularly poor value in my opinion. May I point out that the staff were exceptional. well trained, attentive, smart, and polite. Would we stay at the hotel again? Yes. Would we dine in The Pass? Yes. Would we dine in the Camellia.? Definately not. The hotel was far from busy. Could this have something to do with the cost of the food? Another point worth mentioning. What about some up to date leaflets on the local attractions, instead of an out of date book, which is not very accessible

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
SLHrelations, Trip Advisor Relations at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2009
Thank you for your feedback, I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I am so sorry about the lapse in ambience of the Camellia Restaurant - the team usually have oil lamps burning and dimmed lighting as standard. Chef was completely unaware of your food experience and is also very thankful for the feedback. I should also point out that we do offer a Table d'hote menu Mon to Sat lunch (£15pp 2 courses & £20pp 3 courses) and Sun and Mon dinner (£26.50pp 3 courses).
My concierge is currently improving the information its usability, available for guests and has introduced some great new activities such as Quad biking, for you to now enjoy at South Lodge.
Thank you once again for your comments, they are important to us.
Chelmsford
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We stayed here for my partners 40th. We have a junior suite and the room was amazing. Our own balcony with great views over the south downs. Tv in the washroom which was great. No mini bar in the room. This was our first trip away from kids for 6 years and had breakfast in bed both mornings, which was really disappointing. No spoons, salt or pepper and both the tea and coffee were cold. Our dinner in the Camelia restaurant set us back £240 and that was one bottle of wine, a couple of drinks before dinner, starters and main course. Having said this the staff were really warm and helpful. Very welcoming. The bed was huge and really comfy with a pillow menu for the evening.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Booked by phone on Saturday morning for dinner and a room the same night as a treat for my wife. On arrival a porter appeared who took our cases and arranged valet parking. The room was huge, with a good ensuite bathroom, huge flatscreen TV, tea & coffee maker and a very comfortable bed.

There was a wedding party in the hotel but we barely noticed them.

The restaurant (Camelia) was comparable with starred London establishments, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they get a star soon.

For a comparable room in London I'd have expected to pay four times as much, so it makes a great, and not too pricey, weekend break.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!