We wanted somewhere special to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. South Lodge delivered big time and together with a superb “Pass Experience” (see separate TA Review) this was nearly the perfect weekend.
The staff at SL are excellent. No matter who you speak to, no matter what job they do. And they have this uncanny knack of remembering your name even when they have only just met you. Genuine friendliness without going over the top. Information when you want it, silence when you don’t.
Our check in was smooth and we were personally taken by the receptionist to our Junior Suite – Cresswood in the new part of the hotel. Lovely sized room at the “front” with great views over the Sussex countryside. A good start. Excellent bed – very comfy and lots of nice touches including Minty the “Do Not Disturb” Sheep. Only way to improve from my eyes would be to have a digital radio facility rather than the AM/FM system which was a little “Tony Blackburn” - behind the times…
The Wine cellar with the opportunity to taste a selection of red, white and rose is definitely worth a visit. Your choice. Have a sip of something special for your £20 credit or go for volume at the lower end. No guessing what we did.
Breakfast in terms of food quality was excellent. Lovely fruit and very well prepared full English. Sadly the service was not quite there – something taken onboard by the management who recognised they could have done better…. That said it showed they cared when a personal email from Operations Manager Mark Surguy was received just two hours after we returned home on the Sunday. Nice touch and much appreciated.
I note an earlier review dated 6 September mentions "checking the bill". And this would be my advice as well. We had pre-paid via a third party for the majority of our weekend and this had not been quite communicated. No big deal at all – settled very quickly and no issue.
So yes the reports are true. This is a top class 5 star establishment where you will be well looked after. Add in the Pass to the mix and you won’t find much better. We’ll be back for our Ruby if the present Mrs B puts up with me for another 15 years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winner of the Gold Award for 'Large Hotel of the Year' at the Beautiful South Awards 2015, South Lodge is less than an hour from Central London and nestles amongst 93 acres of stunning woodland and parkland. A magnificent, former family country house - it's the perfect place to relax and unwind whilst indulging yourself with fine wine, gourmet food and unbeatable horizons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your South Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- South Hotel Lower Beeding
- South Lodge Hotel Lower Beeding, West Sussex, England