“excellent stay”
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here for the second time, great deal combined with a stay and play with Mannings Heath Golf Club. Everything about the hotel is first class, staff well trained and attentive, rooms well planned, great showers and bath. Most comfortable pillows ever.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear simmo3009,

Many thanks for your super review. I am pleased you enjoyed your overnight stay at South Lodge as well as golf at our sister property, Mannings Heath Golf Club.

I am pleased you found the pillows to be comfortable. We take great care in selecting the very best pillows and linens for our bedrooms. We ever have a pillow menu to tempt our guests!
The team and I do look forward to seeing you again.

All the best,

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,672)

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Service is over and beyond any hotel we stayed in. Fantastic rooms, luxurious furnishings, gorgeous bathrooms, beautiful interior and exterior and extended gardens including fields for walking etc.
Delicious breakfasts.
Michelin star restaurant is excellent. Tasting menu and both of the alcoholic and non-alcoholic flights (pregnant) were excellent.
Best ever hotel stay.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Noonoo25,

Thank you for joining us and posting your great review. I am thrilled to read you found the stay to be your best ever in a hotel. The will be sure to share your comments with the team here at South Lodge as positive feedback means so much.

I am delighted you enjoyed the Michelin starred Pass restaurant. We have recently introduced the non-alcoholic ‘Infusions’ flight and it has been receiving great feedback. It is fascinating to see Tommaso and his team foraging for ingredients from our kitchen garden and 93 acres of grounds.

Once again, thank you for your review and we all very much look forward to seeing you in the future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the South Lodge Hotel for one amazing week in July 2013. This is simply the most beautiful and serene hotel I've had the pleasure of staying in my life. I've stayed in very luxurious hotel suites in Las Vegas and around the world, but the South Lodge is on another level. I was lucky enough to visit England while the skies were blue and sunny - I was introduced to my room, the Carmela suite, on a Saturday afternoon, with the windows open and world class design I was stunned by the sheer beauty of this place. The staff and service were beyond anything I've experienced before. My stay at the South Lodge was nothing short of incredible and I eagerly anticipate coming back again and again. Not to mention the extraordinary food served in the hotel's restaurants and the drinks with friends in it's breathtaking lounges... I cannot recommend this hotel enough, if you're planning on staying, be prepared for a very peaceful and cozy experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Alan R,

Thank you for your superb review and rating us as ‘simply amazing’ – very high praise indeed!
It was a pleasure to welcome you to South Lodge for a week and I am thrilled your time with us did not disappoint. It is lovely to read you enjoyed drinks in our lounges and wonderful food in our restaurants as well as the tranquil surroundings, your junior suite and not to mention the service from the great team we have here.

I am pleased you eagerly anticipate a return stay. I do look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been to this hotel before for conferences, afternoon tea etc. Today we chose it to have our Ruby Wedding Anniversary lunch and it was an excellent decision. The food and service in the restaurant were superb and though it was a busy Sunday we were not rushed at all. The staff are very friendly and efficient. The reception staff took the time to update my husband on the Open Golf!
After lunch we had booked into the Blake concert which was the perfect end to a lovely day. The location is stunning, the weather was glorious, Blake were excellent and the atmosphere was great. We didn't stay overnight ourselves but spoke to some people at the concert who had attended a wedding at the hotel and stayed over for the concert. They were full of praise for the standard of the rooms and the service.
If you live locally and want a special day out I would definitely recommend this hotel. We will certainly be going back (and soon if I have any say in the matter).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sue K,

Thank you for your wonderful review and many happy returns on your special wedding anniversary.
It is lovely to read the food and service at Sunday lunch was so positive and the team kept you in the loop regarding the golf. We are all pleased you enjoyed our open air concert, headlined by Blake. We are already planning next year’s event so please do watch this space.
Hopefully we will see you again before too long.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here on the first night of our honeymoon last year and promised we would come back as that stay was very short. We came back on our anniversary and stayed for 2 nights. We were not disappointed and had a fantastic time. We really enjoyed the tasting menu in the very cool restaurant in the kitchens. When booking, reservations were very helpful and booked the room we stayed in our first night of honeymoon. I will definitely go back

Room Tip: If you book one of the junior suites it is well worth the money as the shower is great and watching...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Brow1,

Happy anniversary and thank you ever so much for returning to us to celebrate after spending the beginning of your honeymoon with us.

Your stay sounds fantastic! The Pass restaurant is quite an experience and the tasting menus are a culinary treat. As you say, the setting is quite unique as the restaurant is located within the kitchen itself.

I am pleased our reservations team were helpful. I would alwas recommend booking directly to get the very best rate.

The team and I hope to see you soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed July 17, 2013

6 six years ago we got married there. Absolutly lovely. Staff were friendly, food delicious.

We stayed prior to a weekend for one of their events and I found a bit of clining film in my started, they offered me a new starter, gave us a glass of chagmpain each and took my whole meal of the bill.....did not expect that.

They invited us back a year after our wedding, as there was some building work being done during our wedding and they gave us a lovley room and dinner free of charge.

Will recommend this hotel to any one.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear S P,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave such a kind review of your recent visit to South Lodge.
It means so much for us to welcome back a returning South Lodge bride and groom. It will be my pleasure to share these comments with the team here as we are all thrilled when our guests have a terrific stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting South Lodge.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great hotel, excellent service from knowledgeable staff. Beautiful rooms, bathroom has huge shower. V large beds, the most comfortable mattresses and pillows - never slept in anything better.. All the rooms, whatever size you get, are lovely - and staying in the larger suites simply spoils you for anything else in the future! Breakfasts are excellent - cooked to order, huge choice and all good quality. We ate in the Camellia restaurant on one night of our stay - well prepared and presented food, wine by the glass is expensive. Lovely views over the gardens and South Downs both at sunset and sunrise. Overall, a first class hotel - just needs a pool to add that last little something.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Geoff W,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind comments following your stay at South Lodge. It is a real pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your experience and that you were able to enjoy our scrumptious breakfast and dinner as well as the spectacular views from your beautiful bedroom with such comfortable beds. Perhaps what is most pleasing is your praise for the team and our service as it is something we work very hard towards.

All of us here at South Lodge very much look forward to seeing you soon.

Kindest regards,

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!