“Wonderful night at South Lodge”
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at South Lodge on Good Friday (I know I'm late writing a review but better late than never!). We stayed in a junior suite which overlooked the beautiful gardens and views of the stunning Sussex! Had we bought suitable footwear, we would have taken a walk around the extensive grounds and picked flowers as suggested by the hotel and put them in the vase supplied in the room. The suite was very large and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was also large and well equipped. The TV at the end of the bath was a nice touch and the shower could accommodate a small party! We ate in The Pass restaurant and had the taster menu with the wine flight. This was a good choice as both of us drank wines we were not familiar with. The whole evening's experience was fantastic and the food amazing. This was our first experience of Michelin star-rated food and hopefully not the last! The restaurant staff could not have been more helpful or informative. The next morning we had breakfast in our room. There was more than enough to eat and it was a shame we could not have eaten it on our patio but the weather was far too chilly. Although this was my first overnight stay, I have visited the hotel on two previous occasions for afternoon teas. We will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor at the rear of the hotel overlooking the gardens. It came with its ow...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Michelle D,

Thank for joining us for a night away and for you rating us so positively!

The team and I are delighted your stay was so enjoyable. Your junior suite sounds just wonderful with stunning views over the grounds and South Downs as well as an amazing bathroom with Aquavision TV.

As you describe, the Pass is quite an extraordinary experience! Set in the very heart of our kitchens this take on the Chef’s table concept is Michelin starred dining at its best.
Once again, we are all delighted you enjoyed your Easter break and it would be a pleasure to see you again in the future.

All the best,

Front of House Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,671)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I visited to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Unfortunately I had a minor fall just after we arrived however 2 members of staff arrived promptly to administer first aid and I quickly recovered and was able to enjoy an excellent meal in The Pass. The staff were very polite and courteous at all times. Our visit was a memorable but not cheap occasion.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear AndyandSandy,

Happy anniversary and thank you for staying with us at South Lodge.
I am pleased to hear your fall was not too serious and Joe and I were able to assist you with minor first aid. It is good news that your fall did not impact upon your dinner plans as The Pass is such a memorable experience.

The team and I do very much look forward to welcoming you back to South Lodge in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Perhaps we suffered from being a family party of 12, or by choosing to have tea outside, but at not far short of £60 for 2 (using a credit card ,10% is automatically added)our afternoon tea was to say the least poor, and I don't mind paying for a good product)
Having individually chosen our tea of choice it came in shared pots.Having had my first cup of tea pored by the waitress ,my tea pot disappeared to someone else on the table , not a problem
if just 2 of you, but a sloppy service for a long table. The tea itself was stewed, and no hot water brought until I asked.
The food was the usual afternoon tea , nothing special, the scones had obviously been reheated and were dry(why is it fashionable to reheat scones these days, the quality suffers, and
they are always cold unless served separately after the sandwiches.
After an hour , I asked for some more tea, expecting a fresh pot, but no, the old pot was recovered from the other end of the table, and pored into my cup, Almost as shocking my tea was pored through a tea strainer filled with leaves from every other persons choice of tea leaves.
Probably the worst cup of tea I have ever had.
I cant blame the waitress, a pleasant young girl , but have to blame the hotel who obviously don't understand that even afternoon tea requires experienced waiting staff.
At the end of tea, we were offered an extra cake ,(not on our cake stand.)By now we had eaten our fill but we were told it would be boxed up for us to take away. We had a choice of one of three cakes and were presented with medium sized cheap white boxes, containing them. When I opened mine it was the smallest chocolate brownie I have ever seen, what a waste of a box.
Incidentally someone wanted to take some uneaten food home, and this was just tipped into her box... a hygienic procedure I suppose, even though the food was all squashed.
All in all,not even close to a five star experience, for which we were all far to polite to complain, not wanting to spoil our families special day. Who ever awarded the 5 stars didn't have afternoon tea that's for sure. There are better places for tea

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MrsB333
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Finally we got to visit the Camellia Restaurant at South Lodge Hotel this weekend. It has been on our "to do list" for years. The hotel has almost doubled in size since a previous visit about 10 years ago but the addition has been well designed and blends in with the older historic building.

On arrival we were promptly shown through to the bar for pre-lunch drinks ( this was not an overnight stay). Whilst the service was a little bit slow the staff were friendly and accommodating.

Lunch was indeed a first class experience. There was a small rather eccletic choice of starters, I had the salmon which was nice, but the main event, in our case the roast beef, was cooked to absolute perfection. Worth visiting just for this course. The price was excellent for the quality delivered.

The hotel was extremely busy so we had quite a long wait before we got going but then everything from there on arrived perhaps a little too quickly. Thoroughly enjoyed the overall experience and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Susie R,
Thank you for joining us for Sunday lunch and reviewing us so positively.

I am pleased you found the team accommodating and friendly and the food in the Camellia restaurant first class. I do agree with you, our roast beef (locally sourced from Partridge Green) is a wonderful dish and I am pleased to hear it was cooked to perfection.

We do hope you do not wait another 10 years until your next visit!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed for a wedding that was held at the hotel. From the moment I arrived I was impressed with the grounds, the staff that greeted me and my room. The grounds are magnificent, the staff are polite and friendly and the rooms are fantastic.
The food was first class and we all had a wonderful day. I know that the bride and groom were delighted with the venue and were at ease when they saw all the guests were having a great time.
South Lodge Hotel is highly recommended and I hope to visit again in the near future

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear LondonCsh,

Thank you for awarding us a 5 star rating and recommending us so highly. It is lovely to read we played just a small part in the bride and grooms very special day.

I am so pleased to read the welcome, the team, food, bedroom and grounds were so impressive and memorable.

If we can do anything at all to help arrange a future stay please do give us a call or an email.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 1, 2013

But not quite making it.

Location and setting are idyllic, but service and standards barely hit mediocre. Every member of staff we had contact with asked the same question: how has your day been? Um... Okay. Do you really want to know? Why not just good afternoon, welcome?

Cocktails on the terrace were not very cold or very tasty; dimner was okay but not sure that Michelin star is up to date. We lingered with drinks on the terrace and were a bit surprised that no one offered to bring us dinner menu or take our drinks to the table--as we'd made a booking. The reservation is in my surname (we aren't married) and the server said "Now Mr and Mrs C...". I'm C... He's not. Funny, rookie mistake. The dinner courses were slow to arrive; we had to ask for the port a second time when the cheese was almost gone.

Everything was okay... But just okay. A notch below what we felt we'd paid for.

Find it hard to imagine the G20 was really held here. They wouldn't survive a multi-head-of-govt meeting today.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ACthree60

Dear ACthree60,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased to hear that some aspects of your stay were positive but disappointed that your stay did not reach your expectations. My colleague Zoe has contacted you directly however I would like to also reply in this public forum.

South Lodge is very proud to have been awarded 5 stars for many years. I am sorry that on this occasion you didn’t feel the service matched that standard. I will pass your feedback on to the relative heads of department. As well as welcoming many individual guests daily we are also fortunate to play host to many high profile events throughout the year. We have an excellent reputation in the delivery of these events.

Our Pass restaurant holds a Michelin Star as well as four AA rosettes. Whilst staying with us you dinned in our Camellia restaurant which holds two AA rosettes.

We encourage the team here to interact with our guests and to personalise conversations and interactions by using their name where possible. With that in mind I would rather our team use the name and get it wrong than not at all.

I do hope this goes some way to addressing your points however, as always, I would be delighted to discuss your points in more detail.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Staying for one night and enjoying a themed meal, beautifully presented and prepared. From start to finish a great experience. On arrival we were greeted with an upgrade and very friendly service. Nothing was too much trouble, in short there is a commendably high standard that was maintained enthusiastically by everyone, a thoroughly capable team. If I have one small gripe, it is that in certain parts of the hotel mobile signals were poor, but that did not impact in any way upon a wonderful break. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a new wing in a Traditional Suite, the room was large, the bathroom very large and beau...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nick D,

Thank you for staying with us and for being the 250th person to award us 5 stars!

We are all delighted you found the service excellent and found the food beautifully presented and prepared. Your high praise for the team here at South Lodge means so very much to us all.
The team and I are delighted you will be returning and we very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you then.

All the best,

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!