“Great hotel in a superb location”
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Haywards Heath
“Great hotel in a superb location”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I attended a party here given by my employers to 'celebrate' the closing of our office. There were in excess of 100 people for the staff of the hotel to cater for and I have to say that they did a magnificent job. Attentive waiters came round with drinks and food and after the usual gathering and mingling we were served hot food. This was a buffet style service where you helped yourself or were served hot food and then took it back to one of the tables. There were several places where you could go if you didn't want to participate in the disco dancing and there were rooms you could relax in furnished with arm chairs and sofas. The hotel is a wonderful, large, old building set in many acres of grounds and had the weather been better the party would have taken place outside however due to bad weather it had been moved indoors at the last moment. I am sure that it is a place where, given good weather, you could wander around and enjoy the extensive grounds. I would definitely recommend this as a venue to host a large social gathering such as wedding receptions etc. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to stay here so cannot comment on the hotel's bedrooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to write. Our South Downs Suite offers a variety of rooms for private functions, meetings and weddings. They all offer wonderful facilities and first class service, not to mention those splendid views over the beautiful Downs.

The original house was built in the 1880’s and just oozes character. The grounds too are fabulous, with 93 acres and many rare species planted by the original owner, Frederick DuCane Godman (a noted Victorian botanist), there is plenty of exploring to be done!

I am delighted you appreciated your time with us and the party was a success. Next time you must come and visit one of our fabulous restaurants or book a room for an overnight stay. Please just contact me or one of the fabulous team here at South Lodge.

Best wishes,

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Horsham
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have been to South Lodge for corporate events and for afternoon tea but never for dinner and this time our daughter bought us dinner for two for christmas which we decided to use for our anniversary on the 4th June 2012. From the time we arrived to the time we left we were made to feel really special and the service was 2nd to none. I felt as though the staff really enjoyed their work and it showed. The Camelia Restaurant was lovely and the food excellent, how the desserts were put together made me want to take a picture to show everyone as they were amazing! Trust me to forget my camera.
In fact we spoke about it so much that my niece and her boyfriend went on Friday night and he surprised her by getting down on one knee and proposing, what nicer setting could there be?
We will definitely go again!

, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

May I start by offering my congratulations to your niece on her engagement; wonderful news for your family! I am thrilled too that you had such a lovely anniversary meal with us. For your next visit I recommend you try the Michelin starred Pass restaurant. Chef Matt Gillan and his team create the very finest dishes in a quite unique environment. When you do visit, you mustn’t forget your camera!

Once again, happy anniversary to you and many many congratulations to your niece.

All the very best,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I can't rate this hotel high enough - this is a fantastic place to stay. The rooms are equipped with everything a guest could possibly need, the food was amazing, and the staff were friendly and extremely helpful.

This is a hotel I would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Many thanks for finding the time to share your views of South Lodge and recommending us so highly. We take our dining and service here very seriously indeed. For you to highlight this means so much to the team and I. We are always striving to go that extra step and create wow experiences. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the very best,

surrey
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Can't praise this hotel enough, fantastic venue, brilliant food and fantastic staff!!
We have eaten in both the Camelia Restaurant and The Pass which has a michelin star, both were great, but for something extra special i recommend the Pass for that special occasion.
The rooms are sumptuous and are in keeping with the hotel.
Never had a bad experience here, in fact our daughter was married here and it was a brilliant day, mainly due to the staff who catered to our every need.

Room Tip: Rooms facing The Downs are good especially if it has a balcony.
, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team at South Lodge thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am thrilled that you had such a fabulous experience and the team here made it all the more special. The Pass is a spectacular and unique environment. Our guests just love the tasting menu with matching wine flights. All of us here look forward to welcoming you and the family back to relive those special memories.

My warmest regards,

London
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband treated me to a night here for our 1st Wedding Anniversary. I found the Hotel and staff wonderful from start to finish. We stayed in a junior suite which was lovely and spotlessly clean. My only complaint was that our room was quite hot and we could never get the temperature quite right with the air conditioning system. I would also say that the bar is very overpriced. We paid almost £20 for 2 Coffees (albeit one was an Irish Coffee, but still!).Aside from these things I could not fault the Hotel and would gladly stay again.

Dear guest,

Thank you ever so much for sharing your thoughts. I am delighted to learn how wonderful you found your anniversary stay. Our suites are amongst the most sumptuous around and the views are just spectacular. Thank you for bringing the problem you experienced with the air conditioning to my attention. My colleagues in maintenance have addressed this. We regularly compare our pricing with other 5 star hotels and we remain as competitive as ever.

Once again, thank you for your review and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Great room, nice staff, lovely restaurant... All very relaxing

Room Tip: Great views so make sure you get one!
, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at South Lodge many thanks for your kind words. I am delighted that you chose to stay with and even more so that we were able to deliver exactly what you were looking for. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to your Sussex home soon.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We recently stayed at south lodge with our children for a weekend.

Having stayed here numerous times I can say that the service and the standards are always fantastic. The rooms are huge, tastefully decorated and have everything you need.

This is old school service, valet parking, butlers, tea on the lawn and a real turn down service.

My daughters loved it here and were made to feel hugely welcome with special activity packs. At dinner the chef made them their favourite pasta.

They can't wait to go back and neither can we, we always have great times here and I'd struggle to find a problem with south lodge

Room Tip: Choose a suite overlooking the grounds
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your lovely comments. I am so pleased you and your family had such a splendid time with us. From exploring the 93 acres of grounds to fabulous Michelin stared dining, we have a treat or two for the entire family! On behalf of all the team we do look forward to welcoming you back to your ‘home away from home’.

My warmest regards,

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!