“Disappointing Experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a corporate day with activities and evening entertainments with a nights stay. The original part of the hotel looks pretty from the outside, it has nice gardens and good views, but 2 new extensions on either side of the main building spoil the character.
I was expecting a really nice stay, but what I received I can only describe as average considering the cost. My room was OK, absolutely nothing special and if anything was tired.
The food at dinner was just a typical mass-catering affair, minimalist and contemporary dishes but nothing outstanding or memorable. The service in general is what I would expect from a 3-4 star hotel, I could see nothing to warrant anything better.
I would not want to spend my own money at this hotel, as I feel it is considerably overpriced and poor value, but then it seems to attract lots of middle-aged golfers so perhaps they know their target market.....not me thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
LONDON
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Booking: Booked on Hotel's web site at fairly short notice after finally deciding to stay overnight after a wedding at the hotel. I say finally as we had intended to book a few weeks previously but my wife's experience was less than 'customer centric' and very nearly lost them the booking.

First Impressions: Well manicured grounds, good looking building, but newer extensions pretty obvious albeit complementary to original design. Well staffed reception and an excellent concierge (David?) who was very helpful and resolved a few issues that we had om arrival (not hotel related issues!).

Check In: Because of the wedding we didn't check in until late afternoon. This was smooth and professional.

The Room (549): Had all you'd need and more. Air Conditioning, TV, DVD, Tea / Coffee / Iron / Safe / Comfy Bed / Writing Desk / Armchairs / Etc ............and a bathroom with twin basins / rain shower / bath and ............a TV!

Food (Dining): We were probably not best placed to comment on the restaurant as we attended a wedding with food laid on. All I can say is that the food at the wedding was very good and those who stayed the previous night and sampled the taster menu were very complimentary.

Food (Breakfast): Breakfast was fine, but not spectacular and I really hate the use of cold plates when serving hot food.

Check-out / Billing: Spot on (without signing anything along the way) and option of express available should you need it.

Room Tip: Best views are on patio side - which may be busy / noisey if weather good / there's a function o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio
Reviewed June 6, 2012

When I use Trip Advisor I now look at the reviews to find where the folks come from writing the reviews. When traveling to out of the way places throughout England and Europe I find that most of the reviews are English or European travelers who have totally different expectations from those of us from the United States. When I investigated South Lodge I did not find any note in the reviews that the hotel is not an air-conditioned hotel and we arrived during a very hot period in late May. The lack of air-conditioning is normal for our English friends but is not expected for a Texan traveling using high end hotels listed as “Small Luxury Hotels of the World” (SLH.com). The lack of air-conditioning and different electrical connections and other minor things may spoil your trip and if these things disturb you look further into the reviews to find reviews provided by members from the United States. We could open the windows and by nightfall our first day the room became comfortable but with the windows and drapes opened we needed to keep the room lights to a minimum since the second floor room was very visible from the hotel patio and gardens. We did not find this to be a problem the first night of our stay and everything seemed peaceful but the second night the hotel had a meeting attended by a lot of people that drove in for the meeting and the party was held on the patio directly under our window which was on the second floor so we became part of the party. The meeting turned into a social event and a little after 11:00pm I called the desk and was told they would try to “Sort it Out”. The staff did quite the crowd and the patio was quite by 11:30pm but all of the lights outside our windows were left on all night.
The website pictures of the hotel are a little deceiving. The old portion of the hotel is very picturesque but it is sandwiched between two much more modern structures that almost triple the size of the building and when you walk around the building it seems out of place. The room we had was in the old portion of the hotel (we did not see the new portions) and the room we stayed in was tired. We were comfortable but the bathroom was difficult and there was a definite lack of places to plug in the hairdryer, PC and cell phone which took some patience between my wife and me. When we arrived at the hotel the check in process was flawless and we were assisted to the room by two bellmen since we had 5 pieces of luggage that needed to be carried up stairs and through narrow halls to our room. The bed was comfortable there was plenty of room for luggage and hanging clothes. The bathroom had both a tub and shower but the shower is a deluge shower with an option for side jets, which did not please my wife. The step up to the shower was strangely high and it was uncomfortable stepping down.
Service seemed a bit slow during our stay and several times we had to patiently wait for our service and in one case we had to reorder from the same server at a later time. That said the staff was wonderful. They may have been understaffed from time to time but every staff member we interacted with was extremely professional and friendly.
I have used the guide to “Small Luxury Hotels of the World” (SLH.com) before as one of the recommendations for a great hotel and I do not mind paying the price to stay at a hotel that pays attention to details. This hotel must be in transition – it has the feel of a business hotel without the amenities or service of what I would consider a Luxury hotel but they charge the price for a Luxury hotel.
We have found fantastic small Luxury hotels throughout England but this one missed the mark by a long shot it felt much more like a business hotel on the downslide and I will not give this property another try.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fishpicturesbybob
London, England
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our Son booked a table for us for a lunch. There were to be the three of us, he enquired if we could put a solitary ballon especially made for us on the table, this was a wish of my wife as it was a "special" occassion. He was given an emphatic "no", he asked again on the day still to find no compromise.
The lunch time restaurant had three sets of diners including us, a Birthday table of around 5 or 6 mature people, a table of two with a loud talking bore and us. We did not want party streamers, the hokey coky, music, lap dancers, fireworks, magicians or a pop concert, just one ballon.
The food was excellent although they had the "B" team on the serving, a waitress dropped a knife on the table and left the butter staining on the cloth, no attempt to clear it. Her hand tembled when opening a bottle of Champagne, better skills required. No sign of any management in the restuarant, but plenty attending to a wedding party.
We enjoyed the food but although this and the surrounding were lovely it lacked that "wow" factor. We we not made to feel valued and the service was no better than a "beefeater" restaurant.
Despite this we would return as the hotel and grounds are lovley, food tip top, but we would look for an alternative for that "special" treatment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night having booked the Michelin started restsurant. Food was great but hotel.... For one like all uk country hotels it was a wedding factory. Our room was above the reception - very noisy and smelly as everyone was smoking outside. Breakfast was SHOCKING. Took 45 mins to get a table staff were very busy - in fact too busy to tend to guests. No food on buffet. A total mess. You don't expect that when you are paying 300 for a room.

• Stayed May 2012
Essex
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wow what a superb venue. A lovely country house with some contemporary twists. it's a shame the service in the Camellia Restaurant is not up to the standard of the main reception. Friday was ok but I cannot say the same for Saturday. I do not expect to wait 2 hours for a starter or have to ask for our wine we had ordered with our meal. Finally our starter arrived and we received our wine. I really don't mind pouring my own wine but it would be nice to have it poured for me. I know there was a wedding taking place but this really should not affect the service in the restaurant. We did bring this to the attention of the main reception duty manager and we were offered a goodwill gesture. I must say however the food in the restaurant was superb. I hope the restaurant can sort this problem asap.
John Essex

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Southwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Lovely surroundings, great food and service. A true luxury hotel, we have stayed in many so called luxury hotels - but the exclusive group hotels beat the others hands down and go far beyond. We got married at the South Lodge, stayed their numerous times, eaten in the pass and dines in the camelia, attended events on their lawn and spent Christmas there aswell. I would live there if I could!

Room Tip: The pass and the afternoon tea is a must, but yet to try the cellar!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!