“Enjoyable meal.”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Crabtree has a nice warm atmosphere. It is more of a restaurant than a pub but the bar snacks did sound very tempting. The staff are welcoming and service is good.
We had lunch here and enjoyed it very much. As a starter we had the Pear and Blue Cheese Salad which we felt could have done with a bit more Blue Cheese in it.
Good value and we will certainly return.

crabtreesussex, Manager at The Crabtree, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us such lovely feedback, we always love to hear from our customers. The Pear and Blue cheese salad is my favourite also- let me know when you are next in and I will get them to give you an extre big portion of blue cheese ;) info@crabtreesussex.com Look forward to seeing you again soon,
Crabtree management

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Used to be my favourite restaurant in sussex, but the last 2 visits have been average to say the least. Lunchtime menu has lost it appeal to me, it used to be fabulous! Last 2 visits I have had to resort to the beef burgers ( meat very undercooked) and today was worse still the watery whiting, boring fish of the day for £12.50, very greasy. The cardamon pannacotta was also not as nice as previous deserts. The dying flowers and candles flickering thier last smoky breath just about mirrored the meal today..shame

Won't be returning till the summer, hopefully things may improve,

3  Thank bluetravellers
crabtreesussex, Manager at The Crabtree, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

we were very sorry to hear that you left feeling that you had a bad experience with us. We have just been shortlisted for the Best eating experience in the Sussex food and drink awards, which we are very proud of, please contact us on info@crabtreesussex.com to discuss the situation further and hopefully restore your faith in us!
Yours sincerely, The Crabtree management

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Getting a reluctant teenager to come for a walk requires a number of things - a pub lunch with good meat often works. We had heard about the Crabtree and though it was further than we thought from Brighton we all agreed it was worth it. We came in at the end of the session and received a very nice and relaxed welcome as we waited for the table to become free. We then all enjoyed our lunch choices which were exactly the right size. Looking forward to coming back.

One thing: Would like to see at least one more veggie main...

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had Sunday lunch there a couple of weeks ago and the quality of the food served was excellent however the portions were very small. I ordered the roast beef and only got 1 slice of beef (small slice), 2 small roast potatoes and a couple of soon fulls of vegetables, the yorkshire pudding however was a good size. The apple crumble was ok but again served with a tiny scoop of ice cream. I don't have a huge appetite but I wasn't full when I left.

However the place is nice and the food I got did taste lovely.

3  Thank Creature99
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had booked a table for 4 for lunch on Sunday and very much looking forward to the occasion - we were not disappointed, the food was outstanding, beautifully presented, thank you. Unfortunately what let the restaurant down was the inefficiency of the waitresses (all young people probably waiting to go to university?) to 'manage' tables. Enthusiasm was brilliant but there was a definite lack of training! The waiting staff were very eager but sadly did not deliver. For instance we were asked after our first course - and having waited a good 20 minutes to have our plates cleared - if we'd chosen our dessert course? But we were still waiting for our main course! Clearing of tables was really slow and plates piled up upon each other in front of customers to my way is not the way. I think if the waitresses were given some good training The Crabtree would be an outstanding place to visit.

1  Thank Gertrude094