“Relaxed by Refined”
Review of The Pass

The Pass
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pass is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Pass is set to be a totally innovative dining venue with a very dramatic twist. Taking a seat in this theatre, you will be able to contribute to the backstage drama involved in presenting a superb and ground breaking tasting menu, combining a resourcefully superior menu with a truly memorable encounter. Executive Chef, Lewis Hamblet describes his cooking as English interlaced with Mediterranean influences and strictly follows the Exclusive Hotels initiative to source the very best produce from local suppliers.
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Relaxed by Refined”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

First impressions of South Lodge are great as you sweep up the drive and are greeted by a huge hotel, plenty of parking, entrance hall is very impressive with tasteful furniture and fittings and all very plush, front of house staff very polite warming and very efficient and they guide you to The Pass Restaurant - 7 courses of taste bud enjoyment with hand picked wines that really did compliment the food, the chefs deliver you food with a smile and a sense of pride and explain what your eating - and its very very good - the sommelier is very well versed and again explains your wine and why ! 3 couples enjoyed a really great afternoon, it was good to watch the kitchens and see the food prepared, fine dining but relaxed and not a stuffy - we will return for lunch again but have already booked for evening meal in The Camellia @ South Lodge

Beckenham, United Kingdom
“5 Star in every way”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the South Lodge Hotel for the weekend and decided to eat at The Pass,(suggest you book early). The experience was exceptional, the food was of the highest quality on the 12 course surprise menu, each course individually explained by the chef and all a wonderful experience for the taste buds.
The serving staff are extremely attentive without be overbearing and make the 4 hour evening just perfect.
We have already booked for Christmas Eve at The Pass and I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jlincoln55
Crawley, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife and I dined at The Pass last night and what a wonderful night it was!

The restaurant itself is a delightful surprise, very chic and modern set against the historical backdrop of the South Lodge Hotel. As it's name suggests, you dine with an open view of the (highly talented) chefs, as they create masterpieces that will make you realise what your taste buds have been missing all of these years.

We opted for the 12 course 'Surprise' menu. (It seemed to be very popular). The effort that goes into each course will take your breath away. Each course is brought to your table by one of the chefs, who tells you exactly what it is, which is a lovely touch and totally in keeping with a true dining 'experience'. It is essential for a meal like this, that you put your trust in the hands of the chefs, in the knowledge that they will deliver food of the very highest quality. We did, and they did not disappoint.

The 3 menus on offer were all of the 'tasting' variety. Given the number of courses, it is best to allow at least 3 1/2 hours (4 if you want to relax with a coffer afterwards) for your meal.

Finally, a word about the staff at The Pass. To a person, they were professional, friendly, engaging, efficient and unobtrusive. I am fortunate to have dined in some wonderful restaurants and the staff at The Pass are amongst the best I have experienced.

We will be eating here again...hopefully sooner rather than later. My thanks to everyone who made last night so wonderful.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Perfect lunch”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Had the 5 course tasting lunch menu.The service was cold and automated but the food and the real waiters/chefs where knowledgable and charming.looking forward to the chef pushing the boundaries for his second Michelin star.

• Visited June 2014
UK
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This was my second visit to The Pass in just a few months, the first time was with a group of friends the day before one of them got married. This time I was dining with my girlfriend. It had been a very difficult week coming up to our reservation and we initially decided to cancel but having thought about it we decided a change of scenery would be good so we managed to get our reservation back again. I'm very glad we did.

We dined on a Saturday night and had already decided to have the surprise menu. With it being a Saturday that meant 12 courses. We had also decided to have the wine flight.

I'm not going to mention every course but a few that really stood out.

Scratching. Who knew a pork scratching could site so comfortably in a starred restaurant? It was full of flavour, very crunchy and with a wonderful bacon jam. A bit messy to eat but they'd thought of that and you were given a wet napkin. This was served with an organic local beer and the flavours worked excellently together.

Octopus. I am always a bit cautious with octopus as it is so often badly cooked. So such problem here of course, it was perfectly tender and full of flavour. Served with a Fleurie, not a wine I would normally choose but the lightness of the wine worked well with the delicate octopus.

Mushroom. There's not much food I don't like but mushrooms are right at the top of the list. Still, I'd decided that whatever was served to me I would eat. This was my least favourite course as I really don't like mushrooms but the chicken liver parfait in the dish was wonderful.

Pork. Wow! Soft pork belly and crispy pigs head served with a delicious glass of montepulciano. Possibly my favourite dish of the evening.

Service was excellent, staff were attentive, chatty but also did a great job of leaving us alone to enjoy our conversation and food. My girlfriend managed to drop her napkin on the floor a couple of times and each time a clean one was brought immediately. The chefs were all happy to discuss the dishes and we didn't feel rushed when talking to them even though they had to get back to the kitchen.

The sommelier did a great job of explaining why he'd selected the wines he had and once we told him which style of wine we have a preference for he made a great selection for our cheese course. We asked him to write down the wine which we had with the duck course (a saintemillion) he said he would try to write out all the wines we had and he was good to his word - we left with a menu with handwritten wine notes.

We had excellent seating, we were at the table that is more in the kitchen than any of the others so we had a great view of what was going on. The slight downside is that being that much closer it was quite hot at times.

The price is a bit higher than other 1 star restaurants I've been to but it is justified.

We will definitely return again.