“Perfect”
Review of The Pass

The Pass
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pass is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Pass is set to be a totally innovative dining venue with a very dramatic twist. Taking a seat in this theatre, you will be able to contribute to the backstage drama involved in presenting a superb and ground breaking tasting menu, combining a resourcefully superior menu with a truly memorable encounter. Executive Chef, Lewis Hamblet describes his cooking as English interlaced with Mediterranean influences and strictly follows the Exclusive Hotels initiative to source the very best produce from local suppliers.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is our third visit and second lunch. It is always a very enjoyable experience. You get what you pay for and there is no danger of going home hungry with the five course option, which is supplemented by canapés, an amuse bouche and delicious home-baked bread. We also opted for a cheese board shared between three. My son and I went for the wine flight and my wife took the juice flight (I was duty driver the previous night!). The 25 year old sherry served with dessert was a delightful surprise.

The staff as ever were friendly and attentive. It's fascinating to see the chefs at work and great to be able to interact with them. We look forward to the next time.

One small quibble - why was the butter was sourced from the West Country when there's plenty in good old Sussex by the Sea?

Reviewed November 18, 2013

From start to finish the experience is absolutely first class.
The ability to watch the excellent chefs at work in a quiet, organised and efficient manner and then have the chef deliver the food to you, and explain the dish is for us unique.

We opted for the Gourmet 5 course lunch unfortunately as i was driving I could not accept the wine with each course option which, I am sure would have added to the overall experience.

Each course was a delight and left us at the end of the meal completely satisfied.

The staff were efficient and friendly and made us feel welcome and valued as customers.

I cannot praise this restaurant enough and would recommend it to everyone who would wish to experience the delights of this hotel.

1  Thank Graham L
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife booked The Pass for my birthday and the evening could not have been better. As a Michelin starred restaurant I was expecting the food to be innovative and my expectations were exceeded. Being in the kitchen was unique and really made the whole experience - Matt Gillan and his fellow chefs worked calmly and professionally and it was a nice touch having the plates served and explained by them.

I had the 10 course Pass Experience and my wife had the 8 course Gourmet experience. My wife's was the vegetarian menu but, as she also eats fish, they were more than happy to substitute a couple of the dishes for some fish dishes (halibut and sardines). Flavour combinations are fascinating - my favourite was the clam/kiwi/fennel.

So many restaurants have service that doesn't quite match up to the standard of the food but not this one. The waiters are attentive, friendly and always looking to see what needs removing from or adding to the table. They seemed to instinctively know the speed at which each of the 26 covers eats and bring the dishes at perfect intervals.

Be prepared to spend the whole evening - we arrived at around 7:15pm and finished eating at about 11:30pm...! However, this meant that we didn't feel overly full despite the amount (and richness) of food being served.

This is the first time I have taken to writing a restaurant review as I wanted to share how good this place is. It is an expensive evening but, believe me, it is more than worth saving up for as the whole package works superbly - we'll be back!

Martin & Sarah, East Sussex

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The trouble is, I have been to Petrus in London and been TOTALLY spoiled.

THERE you get to go around the kitchen with the head chef and make your own desserts.

Back to the Pass..............Superb food and wine. We had the "full monty" tasting menu and wines to match. Not bad at £100 a head. Each course was explained by the chefs as it arrived.

The only thing I would say is that some of the guests have their back to the kitchen and can't see what's going on.

Apart from that, it was a fab experience.

Go!!!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We tried the 8 course Pass Experience menu and from the amuse bouche to the final dessert it was a delight.
There's plenty of variety and the quality, presentation and taste are spot on. The tables in The Pass are ultra modern and look into the kitchen so you can observe the intricate preparation of your dishes, which are then served to you by the chef who prepared it. The chef will give you a full description of all the ingredients and cooking methods and listen to any comments you have on the previous course.
If you have an interest in how your food is prepared I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.