“Special!”
Review of The Pass

The Pass
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pass is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Pass is set to be a totally innovative dining venue with a very dramatic twist. Taking a seat in this theatre, you will be able to contribute to the backstage drama involved in presenting a superb and ground breaking tasting menu, combining a resourcefully superior menu with a truly memorable encounter. Executive Chef, Lewis Hamblet describes his cooking as English interlaced with Mediterranean influences and strictly follows the Exclusive Hotels initiative to source the very best produce from local suppliers.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We ate here and stayed in the hotel for Valentines day.
The food was out of this world and it was great to see it all being prepared in the kitchen.
The decor is very modern but my only gripe is that you are tightly packed in with little room to get out of your seat. The chap sitting next to us knocked over our wine whilst getting up from his seat.
Would definitely return for a special occasion.

There are newer reviews for The Pass

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We took my father in law for his 80th birthday to the Pass, and enjoyed the most spectacular dishes, and as a treat, included the wine flight - superb - with the sommelier describing each wine to us. The chefs are busy just beyond the glass panels and can be seen preparing the dishes. Highly recommended for a special occasion.

2  Thank MrPVT
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The location is lovely and the staff very attentive. However the overall quality of the dining experience was disappointing, I expected to see chefs cooking? But none of this, just people placing ingredients on a plate, not once seeing any of the (chefs) tasting the food. Far too much salt was used and parties either side of us commented, so it was not just us. I really wanted to be blown away by the flavours, sadly this was not the case, we were told several of the dishes were new but that's no excuse. We were truly disappointed

3  Thank Miles K
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Every year between Christmas and New Year, our family chooses a restaurant for our annual gastronomic treat. After much research, and with some great establishments to live up to, I chose The Pass this year. We weren't disappointed!

The atmosphere is electric - akin to watching a live show. You're in the midst of the hotel kitchen, not just the one for The Pass but also for the hotel's other restaurant, Camelia. It was fantastic to watch our dishes being prepared and plated up just feet away. The head chef presented most of our dishes himself (Gordon Ramsay et al - take note!). He even scrubbed down the kitchen after service with his staff! Excellent teamwork.

We opted for the 8 course Pass Experience. Every dish was superbly designed and presented (I'll be adding photos). Maybe one or two of the dishes didn't quite hit the mark but that's down to personal taste rather than effort and ingenuity. The stand-out dishes for us were the quails eggs, the crab salad and the chocolate fondant.

The service was exceptional. They accommodated my aversion to fish and the waiters explained every dish and answered all our questions. The somelier was also excellent and tended to us very well.

In all, we'd highly recommend The Pass for some extraordinary culinary theatre. This will be hard to beat next year! Thank you for a wonderful evening.

1  Thank JessieWillow
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband took me to lunch with my daughter for a special birthday treat yesterday It was our first visit and a very memorable experience.
From the moment we walked in the door until we left about four hours later we were treated with first class service. The food created by Matt Gillan and his team was absolutely wonderful, the resting time between courses was, perfect and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, I was wary at first about being able to see what was going on in the kitchen, (having worked in a restaurant once myself) but the atmosphere and peacefulness were, so relaxing.
Our day had a happy ending when Matt came and spent some time with us at the end of our meal.
Would certainly recommend THE PASS in fact, we can't wait to go back.