“Good pub grub”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Sunday lunch for 25 members of the same family - good choices, well cooked and served with a smile even when some added to their choice, extra family members arrived, some late because of getting lost and some cancelled because of traffic problems on the way home. We sat in the garden with drinks beforehand and the large room was set ready to serve as soon as we were ready. The risotto, portobello mushroom, soup and pate starters were most popular as were the lamb shank, plaice stuffed with crab and a lobster jus and steak and ale pie went down very well and there was either beef or turkeySunday roasts together with a very good pudding board. Good wine list and of course a good choice of beers. Would recommend this pub not only for the food but the the people whose patience was outstanding.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Son & father here for fathers day, but went on the saturday night, thought it would be a better choice.
There was a few empty tables, but we had booked.
The menu isnt as extensive as it used to be, but they also had the specials board.
The food was nice, same chef, we saw back & forward, but it seems to be lacking something, cant quite put my finger on it.
The service was ok, though the girls seemed to be a little rushed at times and had to wait or ask again for drinks.
The meals were nice and quite tasty, but as i said earlier theres something missing.
Shame because we loved this place, and im a great beleiver in you get what you pay for, but id honestly say id not rush to go back

1  Thank denisewhittle14
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was part of a group of 20 who turned up here in ones and twos late on a Saturday evening. Even though it was after 9 they were happy to seat and feed us all.

The food was excellent. I had a steak, ale and mushroom pie which was a good size and very tasty after a long day in the saddle.

Service was friendly and fast. Next time I'm in the area I'll be back.

1  Thank ColmDAthlone
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nice enough surroundings although surprised to be crushed into the bar area in a very small table in direct draught from main doors when the perfectly pleasant restaurant we had eaten in before was empty although set up.
The food is rather overpriced for average pub grub! The service is not very professional. Waiting staff do not generally wear jeans and tee shirts or not in the restaurants we usually go to. Our shared starter was ok although insufficient ciabatta was provided and we were charged extra for the two small slices of bread whilst we were waiting which is a bit mean I feel. I ordered a Rump steak which was one of the specials. Initially I was concerned as it was raw in the centre. narrow in shape and very thick. It was also full of sinew and the steak knife would not cut through the meat at all. I sent this back to the kitchen. The same piece of steak was returned to me just cooked slightly more but even with a sharper knife was still difficult to cut through and there was still a lot of gristle. When this was pointed out to the waitress she was very defensive telling us that there is always a little bit of fat along the side of rump steak. I am quite aware of this being an ex professional chef and caterer as is my husband. We decided that the meat was not actually incorrectly described but was most probably TOP rump! Not a cut usually served as a steak. Needless to say we did not stay for a dessert but paid the bill and left. Quite a disappointing meal all in all.

1  Thank BAMJB
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic pub lush surroundings food ok for the price I expected more and it to be organic and local and made by a top chef nearly 25 quid for a steak meal as fries are extra you need to sort this out as I don't think we will be back until your menu and prices are brought in respect of the area.
Good selection of beers and ciders ! Service was ok no hello or thank you from the bar man. Yet a smile so 1 out of 3 is ...... Ok .. We dine out a lot local area and London and I find these prices in my local London haunts. It's a nice pub nice food high prices it makes you think about the over heads and why they need so much profit !!!!
You guys could be good and maybe you do offers yet we must missed all these for the hour and half we spent in your nice pub
Overall a nice day ! Not amazing which I would of wanted for the 98 quid bill with out no tip........ Sorry !

2  Thank cjslaterhot77