“NIce lunch on a Sunday in pleasant setting - Buffet has ceased due to abuse. Shame.”
Review of Tai Kar Restaurant

Tai Kar Restaurant
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have been dying to go here since moving to HH in Feb 2013 - as it boasted a Sunday buffet. On arriving on the 27 April, I noticed that the Sunday buffet sign was nowhere to be seen but went inside to check and he advised me that they no longer did it, but it had been replaced by a two course set lunch instead with a duck option on top. So I checked with management and we went in and sat nicely far apart from other diners in a nice bright, and nicely decorated area. The waiter man came over and explained that due to families not controlling their children - who were taking platefuls of food piled high, then trying say, the sweet and sour pork they had taken - and not liking the sweet and sourness of the SWEET AND SOUR PORK, that they were discarding the whole plate of food and going up again and again. He said this was untenable and partly down to the parents who did not seem to advise their children to try small amounts. This worries me as if restaurants are seeing platefuls of food being thrown away due to parents not controlling their children, it could mean the end of the buffet system. So a message to all parents - don't let your children have eyes bigger than their bellies - you will ruin buffets for us all wise eaters. And this message goes out similarly to greedy adults who let their food go cold, as they have taken too much. So they waste a plateful, then go up again. Take less, then go up again. We started with crispy wontons which was a bad choice of my partner, and the fried chicken strips, which were nice, and asked for extra chillie sauce, which was great with these. We went for the duck option at £2.50 a head which eked out the lunch a bit more and filled us nicely, then we had a beef with onion and chicken with vegetables which I thought was good as it was not laden with MSG but my partner thought was not very tasty at all. I disagree, I thought the food was nice and the carrots were crunchy and the sauces nice and non-gloopy. This was with a bottle of house red wine I cannot remember the price but it was good enough not to be scary. Nice attentive staff, pleasant setting, did not visit loos so cannot vouch for cleanliness. A la carte also availbable if you do not want the £6.50 2 course lunch. Paper napkins.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

The four of us went to the Tai Kar last night and ordered the all-you-can eat menu. The food was of reasonable standard though not of spectacularly high quality. However, some of the staff were rather abrupt - especially when we asked for a glass of flat coke to be replaced. It was quickly replaced, but with another glass of flat coke served at room temperature, with no ice and with no apology for the first glass having been flat..

We were full when we left, as you might expect, but no more so than we would have been had we ordered a normal set menu, so the all-you-can-eat thing is for us more a gimmick than anything else. It's also accompanied by stern warnings that a supplement will be applied if food is left uneaten.

I can't see us returning.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have been coming here for about 7 years with my husband and a couple of times with my family. The all you can eat menu is good with lots of choice, it is no more expensive then other chineses and cheaper then the one opposite. I would probably avoid eating in from about 7 pm onwards on a Fri or Sat night as they cannot seem to cope well with take away orders and restaurant orders so there is often a long wait.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We love a takeaway, and thought we would try somewhere new and we were extremely disappointed. I can normally eat anything but I really struggled to eat most of the food we got from here! The chicken chow mien was the only bareable thing! It is really overpriced too!!!!! Avoid at all costs!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Ordered a takeaway from Tai Kar spur of the moment and was not disappointed,me and my partner have previously tried a few takeaways in Haywards Heath, this is now our 'go to'. The quality of the food is superior to any others in HH and the staff are always friendly and happy to see us. Food's always ready on time, and not once have we been anything but completely satisfied with our order. Would wholly recommend, and good value for money too!