Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Beautiful

Reviewed 1 week ago
Matthew P

All reviews kew gardens nt members millenium seed bank national trust car park parking charge stables restaurant nature reserve free entry walled garden autumn colours lovely place plants and trees entrance fee water garden cake lovely walk
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

I visited this place with a group of people. It was an ideal day to visit as the weather was perfect for walking around the gardens. And what a day it was! It was a lovely sunny day and the leaves were turning colour. If you like Kew Gardens, then you will love Wakehurst. Members of Kew and the National Trust get in for free. It is Kew on a much grander and bigger scale. Be prepared to spend at least two hours just walking around the gardens. There is a shop and plenty of cafes and picnic spaces for you to eat in. To get there by public transport you need to take the train to Three Bridges Train station either from London Victoria or from London Bridge train stations then take the Metrobus 272 from just outside Three Bridges train station to Wakehurst. Freedom Pass holders can use their passes on the bus.

Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Hi,
Thanks for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed your visit to Wakehurst.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the gardens again soon.

Reviewed 5 days ago

Recently as a family we visited the beautiful gardens of Wakehurst, owned by the National Trust but run by Kew Gardens.

Situated near Ardingly it contains a seed bank managed by Kew Gardens, which is a great educational asset for old and young alike.

The site has some lovely park land in which to walk centred around the manor house.

All of the above I would recommend. However the café on site I cannot recommend, the portions are small, the food is over cooked having been under heaters for too long and the prices are high. I would like to think this is a one off, but I'm not convinced.

I recommend going, but taking a picnic of packed lunch with you.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

A sunny day showed the trees in their best colours. A branch of Kew Gardens. Plenty of parking and café. Worth becoming a friend.

Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review of your visit.

We are glad to hear you had a good day out during your visit to Wakehurst.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We had tea and a very dark bread that was dense and had nuts in it maybe seeds? I can’t remember the name of it and it is driving me crazy. I want the recipe as it was really great!

Reviewed 1 week ago

What's not to like, fantastic location, great specimens and wonderful walks. Great for couples, families and visits with friends.

Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a positive review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed walking around the different parts of our grounds, and appreciated our wide collection of botanical plants.

We hope to see you again at Wakehurst in the very near future.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Wakehurst is set in beautiful west Sussex not far from Crawley and Haywards Heath. We are regular visitors, mainly because the landscape is ever changing. In the spring there are beautiful blossoms and early growth, the summer gifts the visitor with a wealth of colour and the autumn leaf colours are spectacular. The tree and plant collection from throughout the world is extensive and a must for students of horticulture and arboriculture. A must for all visitors is The Millenium seed bank, By storing the world's seeds, the Millennium Seed Bank (MSB) aims to provide an insurance policy against the extinction of plants in the wild.

Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Wakehurst and our Seed Bank. I hope we're able to welcome you back to the gardens again soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a great walk around the grounds then had a very expensive cake and coffee, both of which were pretty average. Unfortunately without realising went just over 2.5 hours so was charged ten pounds to park. What a rip off for parking. They tell you that it is to maintain the grounds,But the parking charges are more than the cost of parking in central Brighton to do a days shopping!

3  Thank 116boots
Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi,
We are sorry to hear of your disappointment in the car parking charges, and you are right in that we have implemented these charges to manage over 500 acres of botanic gardens and Kew’s Millennium Seed Bank, as you can imagine this costs a large amount.
We are a public body, and all income form day tickets and car parking is vital to the scientific, conservation and horticultural work of Kew. We are also sorry to hear you found the cake and coffee at Wakehurst disappointing.
Our aim is to ensure that everyone has a very enjoyable day out and we are sorry this was not entirely the case for you. We value your feedback as it is important for us to be able to constantly improve and develop our visitor experience.
We have shared your concerns about the cake/coffee with the catering department.

We hope that despite your disappointment we can still welcome you back to the gardens again soon.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Didn't venture inside the house as we just fancied a stroll...and it turned into quite a long stroll. These are great grounds to explore if you have an hour/hour and a half spare.

The landscape is full of surprises, lots of rocky outcrops and water features. The trees are the star attraction with a huge variety of species growing in such a (relatively) small area.

Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi, thank you for the reviews. we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited Wakehurst for the first time with family & thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon.
The house is surrounded by marvellous grounds & walks of various length & difficulty.
Our visit took place on a sunny autumn afternoon & the tree's were absolutely stunning. The mix of colours was quite magical. We had a leisurely stroll as we had children with us but even so some of the walk was spectacular.
Recommended for all level of walkers.

Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Martin, thanks for taking the time to leave such a positive review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed walking around the different parts of our grounds, and appreciated our wide collection of trees and botanical plants. It’s certainly a beautiful time to visit the gardens at the moment! We hope to see you again at Wakehurst in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The four stars are for the food and Wakehurst itself not for the customer sevice at the entry desk. Wakehurst place is a great celebration about all that is good about the countryside and plants and trees. The house may have a history but ..... We have visited many many times with all our family. We are related to those who suggested the seedbank and help set it up so it holds a place in our heart and many memories for all of us. However there is great confusion about who does what and owns what. I fought hard (with many other National Trust (NT) Members) with no reasonable response, to try and and make it fair that NT members and special Wakehurst ticket holders all had free parking. National Trust members lost this argument. Yesterday my parents were well enough for lunch out and choose Wakehurst Place so all three of us National Trust members set off for our lunch out. I did’nt have my NT card with me (I live more than 160 miles from Wakehurst) so the receptionist very rudely told me that I had to pay an entry fee and I could claim it back as I did not have my National Trust card with me. I was not happy as I know a postcode can surffice but as it is not a NT run place they could not look up postcodes like all other NT properties. I guess paying did mean I got free parking!!!! Not sure if with a disabled badge we have to pay anyway but we gladly accepted it. I did chuckle to myself when she told me visitor numbers were nearly back to that they were pre- paying to park! I was handed a form to reclaim the entry fee but upon looking at it last night I can either donate my entrance fee to Wakehurst or have NT vouchers only - no refund. So I was lied to too! The positive part of the day was the fantastic food in the main restaurant and very helpful staff. With two ill parents they were only too happy to help with taking the trays to our table - I was very grateful for the help. Our braised pork with very fresh vegetables and rhubarb and ginger cake and orange blossom cake were so tasty and fresh we loved it and look forward to our next visit. We of course love the NT shop too. However the funny part was when paying in the shop the lady who served me told when there is a National Trust representative present there is no problem with entry for NT members who do not have their cards with them!! With technology surely the main admission desk could look up NT members too - GDPR could be overcome in this regard I am sure.

1  Thank RDAW
Chloe S, Manager at Wakehurst, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your visit to Wakehurst. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the food in the Stables Restaurant, and how helpful the catering staff were to you and your parents. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment in the car parking charges and any confusion with the pricing. Wakehurst has been managed by Royal Botanic Gardens Kew under a long-term lease agreement since 1965, and we don’t receive any income from the National Trust for NT visitors who enter the gardens free. As you can imagine, managing over 500 acres of botanic gardens and Kew’s Millennium Seed Bank costs a large amount. We are a public body, and all income from day tickets, memberships and car parking is vital to the scientific, conservation and horticultural work of Kew. The Friends of Wakehurst membership does include free entry and car parking for £27.50 per year (direct debit) or £32.50 (card/cheque). At Wakehurst our staff do not have access to the National Trust database and so we cannot search any NT members that have forgotten their cards. There is usually a representative from the National Trust at the Visitor Centre that can look this up, but they are not guaranteed to be at Wakehurst every day, and unfortunately this was the situation on your visit. I sincerely apologise for the manner in which the Visitor Centre staff addressed you, this is not acceptable and I understand your displeasure with this level of customer service. I am also sorry that the staff implied you would receive a full refund for your Day Ticket, as the National Trust Vouchers of up to £10 is the only available refund we can give. I have passed it on to my supervisor for her to follow up and ensure this mistake is not repeated, and I can assure you we will address any issue of customer service that is not of a high standard. We are grateful for your feedback as it can help us to shape and improve every aspect of the visitor experience at Wakehurst. We are pleased to hear of your love of Wakehurst, and how passionate you are about the work that we do here, and hope we can welcome you back to our gardens soon.