“Lovely to visit any time of the year.”
Review of Wakehurst Place

Wakehurst Place
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the vast and beautiful grounds of Wakehurst. Situated in West Sussex and set in 465 acres of country estate, Wakehurst is glorious year-round with ornamental gardens, temperate woodlands, a nature reserve and an Elizabethan mansion. Besides the vast grounds, there is also a well-stocked gift shop, a cafe, a restaurant and a bakery.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have visited Wakehurst place many times, and never get tired of it. It is small enough to stroll round and see everything, but big enough to offer real variety, and a good day out. No matter what time of year you go, there is always something lovely to see - whether the Irises, Azaleas or beautiful trees.

There is a cafe/restaurant, which is pretty good, and a shop, which personally I think is better than the usual National Trust attraction shops, all selling the same old stuff.

All in all, definately worth a visit for a really nice day out.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My 11 year old monaed when I told him where we were going. He and my 6 year old had a great time playing hide and seek and exploring the huge area on offer

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love Wakehurst. I go regularly and it is constantly fresh and new. Each season even each week brings new delights. The Seed Bank is fascinating. The cafes are great and the shop is also lovely to wander around and provides me with many Christmas and Birthday Presents. My little grandson loves the place. Really worth a visit or two!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am writing this review after visiting Wakehurst Place yesterday, Sunday 24th Feb. I am hoping to write a 5 star review later on this year. It was very cold yesterday and I can't really recommend a visit on such a cold day, I am reluctant to give the house and gardens a low star, so I have put in 4 stars because I can see the potential of the whole place. As one entered the gardens the cyclamen carpet under the trees was spectacular. The colours of pink and white mass of small flowers took ones breath away. We walked down to the Millenium Seed Bank, which as is insiide under glass in a very modern setting. The information inside the seed banks was very well displayed. Children visiting would find this very interesting as indeed I did. There is a video about the life of a seed which is good. However, having expected this area to be a relief from the very low temps out side, we were disappointed, it was very cold in there, no breeze or wind but none the less it was too cold to walk around and take everything in. So we came out. We had been advised that only a couple of rooms in the house was open to visitors because of some renovation work which was being undertaken, also two of the rooms were being used for a social function. Well. We couldn't find any way into the house at all, even just to see the limited area that was available. No signs to indicate where to go and only notices by each door saying No Admittance! We gave up on that task!

We then went to the Stable Cafe and had a hot drink and a delicious cake each. The cafe appeared to be well run and the toilets were clean. However, it was not warm in the cafe either. The only area that was warm was the shop. The shop has many well presented displays with lovely goods for sale.

The setting and the views are beautiful We shall most certainly be making another visit when it is warmer and there is more to see in the gardens, which all looked very well kept and had some good shapes. There are walks available from this setting which look very interesting. I look forward to the day when e go again.

1  Thank ceciliamorrison
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very interesting to all plantaholics - seeing the plants amid beautiful settings and then visiting the seedbank and museum buildings and learning more about the science of plants.