“Good meal, service needs a little attention!”

Harvester The Beech Hurst
Cuisines: British, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good meal, service needs a little attention!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family (2 adults & 2 children) visited the Beech Hurst to celebrate my wife's birthday. We arrived about 7pm on a Friday night & managed to park straight away.

I had telephoned the restaurant earlier to check on seating availability & was told that we would be seated straight away & to their word we were. However a family of 5 (with a wheelchair) arrived just before us & were told that they would have to wait 15 minutes, I can only assume that a special seating area needed to be freed up. Our table faced a window looking out onto the outside seating area & grass lawn.

Drinks were ordered almost straight away - good idea to opt for the refillable soift drinks for the children. Wine is expensive at £5 for a 250ml glass - especially as the wine my wife ordered is currently on offer at our local garage at £5 for a 750ml bottle!! I had a pint of cider.

I won't go into the menu detail as they are available to view online - we opted for Triple chicken (with mashed potatoes), Full rack of ribs (no fries etc but replaced with mushrooms & tomato), baby back ribs with fries & cheese/bacon burger with fries - the waitress took our order in detail as I could see what she was writing down as she stood next to me. I also ordered one starter - Creamy garlic mushrooms as I do not eat desserts.

We all visited the salad bar & helped ourselves, the starter arrived which was quite tasty, could have been more creamy as it became watered down because of the mushrooms but was ok overall & was served with a slice of garlic bread.

After a 10 minute wait our main meals were served up by different staff – both the childrens Baby back ribs & burger were correct, but my wifes Full rack of ribs was served up with fries, not as ordered & my chicken was served up WITHOUT the mash potatoe – just chicken & peas!! We had to call a member of staff over to correct the mistakes. Both plates were taken away & then returned, this time the ribs had the mushrooms & a little bit of cut tomato; my chicken had mash placed in the gap where it should have been in the first place. The member of staff commented that the mash should have been served in a separate bowl & that the errors were due to someone else not noticing. My opinion – firstly, we deviated from the fries/potatoes with the Full rack so the kitchen staff just passed out another standard plateful of food without noticing the change & secondly put the mash on the plate in the first place - saves on washing up!

We all enjoyed the main meals, the ribs & burger looked good & well cooked, my chicken was good despite the error but not hot. The JD sauce is a good choice to accompany the chicken.

My wife & daughters then decided to go for a dessert as they did not have a starter – all had sundaes (1 brownie & 2 strawberry) which were large & good value for money.

Our waitress (Sabina) was attentive & friendly

Overall, good value for money – the total amount was just short of £70 which for a 2 course meal for 4 people & a round of drinks I thought was good. The serving staff were good – just need to pay a little more attention to getting the orders correct.

The only downside apart from the serving error was that we were seated next to a large group of mainly female teenagers celebrating a birthday & they were loud, it was difficult to hold a conversation due to the continuous shouting & screaming from the group!!

An above averagae rating deserved!

• Visited June 2013
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester The Beech Hurst, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Restaurant.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Very busy & poor service”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Went as a large group. The service was poor,but it was very busy. We had to keep going to look for someone to serve us. Food was basic, but I guess you get what you pay for, as the cost was reasonable.

• Visited May 2013
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester The Beech Hurst, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We are sorry that had disappointing service at our Harvester Restaurant and we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
Thank you.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Had better”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I use harvester a lot as I live near three, but out of the three this has to b the most inconsistent for service and food.
It took them forever to serve me and my friend and when we did get our food bits of mine where over cooked (I have the mixed grill) and I had to ask again for my blue cheese sauce and my my friend had to ask three times for ketchup as ours on the table had run out.
The desserts we had were the only good bit of the meal and the starter but overall the staff were like robots and had no personality.
The place it's self was good and my friend and me had a good time it's just a shame about the food

• Visited October 2012
Thank you for giving us your feedback following your recent disappointing meal at our Restaurant.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Good meal and service”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Went for a family meal a few Sundays ago with the family. Food freshly cooked and tasted good. salad bar topped up and cleaned reguarly by staff - we were sat right by the kitchen and salad bar.
Service really good.

• Visited April 2013
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester The Beech Hurst, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
sussex
“good food”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I went to the harvester for a meal with a friend last weekend,nice food although my friends burger was over cooked , i had the fish and chips and it was really nice big piece of fish very well cooked.
I would say if anyone wants to order a starter to share try the nachos they are amazing huge tho so you wont need your salad bar.whole meal with drinks for the two of us less than thirty pounds it was a bargin and i would go again and can recommend this place i have been before and have always enjoyed it and will continue to go helpful staff always busy and can see why .

• Visited May 2013