“Christmas lunch with colleagues ”
Review of Cafe Elvira

Cafe Elvira
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Jeremys Restaurant
West Sussex
“Christmas lunch with colleagues ”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to Cafe Elvira following the recommendation of a friend who visits regularly and loves it.

We were a party of 10 work friends/colleagues who had booked for a Christmas lunch. The menu had enticed us and at £24 each for a 3 course meal with coffees it was a great price.

We visited on a wet and very windy Saturday (21st Dec) and were welcomed by a lovely table decorated with a beautiful wreath and candle centrepiece and crackers. I'm of Danish decent and so seeing all the Danish decorations (the cafe is owned by a Dane) was a lovely surprise too!

Two of our party were 30mins late but at no point did the staff hurry us or ask for an eta of the remaining party members. The waitresses were very attentive and drinks arrived swiftly and with a smile.

The food was as lovely as it had looked on the menu. Our starters (smoked salmon tart) were luke warm but this was understandable with the food ready to serve at 1pm and our party not being ready until 1.30! All the mains were delicious. Perfect portion sizes and scrumptious combination of flavours and textures.

Puddings were equally delicious although the exterior of the cinnamon meringue was a little on the tough side but beautifully soft inside.

The only reason I've gone for a 4 rather than a 5 was because drinks appeared to be a little on the steep side and because none of us were able to enter the premises due to a very stuck door! The poor girls sat on the table nearest the door ended up working as bellboys opening the door for every customer.

Other than that we had a lovely meal and will definitely be going back!

1 Thank VibsHarrison

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Tea & cake”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went there for a catch up with 2 friends (one of which had a small baby). Easy car parking facilities. Quite spacious inside & plenty of tempting cakes. I would return.

Visited August 2013
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom
“Regular weekend visitor”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We visit here nearly every weekend on a Saturday or Sunday and have never had a bad meal. We think the food is delightfully cooked and for the quality fairly priced. We have taken 9 to 13 year old children on a number of occasions and never felt they were unwelcome and we have seen other families with children of all ages - the café even provides high chairs for babies so they must be welcome. Of course it takes a while to get the food on the table, if it cooked fresh for you in the Kitchen, but it's worth the wait. Their Lemon Posset is the best I've tasted

• Visited October 2013
West Sussex
“Children not welcome”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I visited cafe Elvira together with my two young children ( aged 3 and nearly two), my sister and her three young children, my mother and my thirteen year old nephew on the 4th September. We had hoped to enjoy a cup of coffee before having a walk around the Borde Hill Gardens. As soon as we entered the cafe we were made to feel extremely unwelcome. It was made clear by the older lady working there (who later told me her name was Dorothy) that she wanted us all to sit outside. We chose to remain inside particularly since there are a lot of wasps around at this time of year. The cafe was also fairly quiet and all the large tables inside were available. The children all sat down quietly but we were aware that Dorothy was watching us like a hawk and clearly unhappy about our or rather the children's presence. I went over to the counter to purchase some drinks and food when Dorothy headed over to our table and grabbed my three year olds arm as he had dared to touch the sugar bowl and pulled it away from him saying ' I knew this was going to happen'. She then proceeded to remove everything off the table including the flowers. At this point we unsurprisingly made the decision to leave. I told the extremely unpleasant lady that we had never been made to feel so unwelcome and queried why there was not a sign on the door making it clear that children are not welcome. We will not be returning and I find it unbelievable that a restaurant worker feels it appropriate to effectively manhandle a customer's child.

Visited September 2013
7 Thank Martine335
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A perfect place with perfect food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are regulars at Elvira and having read some of the reviews, I was shocked. Elvira is more than a cafe. It serves excellent homemade food at a very reasonable price. The quiches with salad and edible flowers are one of my favourites. As are the smokies. Actually I have never been disappointed by a meal (or the service) at Elvira. And we are under 40!

• Visited August 2013