The Birch Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$441
  • Pool
$88
$73
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth(Crawley)(Great Value!)
$82
$69
  • Restaurant
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley(Crawley)(Great Value!)
$86
$297
$68
$57
  • Bar/Lounge
Regency Hotel Gatwick(Crawley)(Great Value!)
$76
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbusiness tripno liftbluebell railwaysunday lunchlovely showerthe ground floorbreakfast was excellentvery pleasant staycommunal areascooked breakfastbar menustayed for one nightnice sizequality hoteltown centrebusy roadwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Pretty much as expected. The staff was excellent and very helpful. The room very clean and a reasonable size. A good breakfast. Enjoyed my stay. Full with a convention in the evening, but it wasn't a problem.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at the Birch for 2 nights for a wedding. My room was spotless and comfortable, the staff were extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. I observed them serving and helping other customers, especially the elderly, and they couldn't have been nicer. The waiting staff served us at breakfast, and at the afternoon reception after the wedding, and were there until well past midnight. The next day they were there again at breakfast, still with a smile on their face and serving us efficiently and cheerfully. I was so impressed.

The breakfast food was delicious, the food the hotel served us at the wedding reception was exceptional, and the waiters were all attentive and well organised.

The hotel is lovely, reminds me of Hogwarts! I would definitely stay there again, would happily have a party or reception there, and have no hesitation in recommending it. I'd love to go back!

Room Tip: I had asked for a quiet room, and was surprised to find myself on a main road. However, with the windows shut I couldn't hear the traffic so it wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I were guests at a friends 70th birthday luncheon attended by 30 or so other guests.

We only ate in the Birch Hotels restaurant on this occasion and did not stay in one of the rooms so I cannot comment on the accommodation.

We all met in the bar at midday where a staff member handed out A5 sized photocopies of a menu headed 'Chefs special Lunch'. The cost was £15.50 for two courses.

The main choice was Roast Pork, Roast Chicken or Gammon, which was served with three roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. There was also Salmon but when I voiced my preference for this I was told it was not available for our party. There was no other dish for non-meat eaters.

The waiter took our order in the bar area before we moved into the dining room where we were seated at three tables for 10 people each.

Once seated, the plated meals were served in no particular order, which meant that roughly half of each table had eaten a considerable amount of their meal before the rest were served. A dish of vegetables were also late-comers, but they were nothing to get excited about either. An unappetising duo of limp carrots together with sliced courgettes and these were topped with a jar of tomato Ragu.

These were totally unacceptable vegetables to accompany a Roast Lunch. No sauces were proffered either, until one of us questioned the non appearance of Horseradish and English mustard then a waitress scurried off to the kitchen to find some for us.

The desserts were chosen for us, a choice of chocolate brownie in a highball slim tumbler topped with cream or, peach melba which consisted of tinned peaches, raspberry sauce in the same type of glass also topped with cream or, the star of the show, lemon tart. This was inspirational,
thin shortcrust pastry, topped with a delicious lemony filling - delicious!

The staff, were very friendly and did rush off to the kitchen if asked by a guest for something in particular , so no complaints there.

There must be better restaurants nearby. For what we paid, it was the most unimaginative selection of bland food I have ever been served.

Would I eat there again - No!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our months stay in this hotel was unexpected, but due to a family emergency we found ourselves needing accomodation for an unknown period of time near the hospital opposite the hotel. Circumstances for us were difficult at the time due to many unkowns; not knowing if the family member would pull through and not knowing how long we would need to stay in the hotel. The management and staff really were brilliant, they were sensitive to our situation and tried everything possible to take any pressure away from us. We really cannot thank you enough. We hope to visit again for a stay under much nicer circumstances.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have been here before with offers published in the local newspapers which were good value. We now have a tastecard with a 2 for 1 offer at the Birch. When we arrived at 1.45, the restaurant was empty, they said they had earlier bookings. The restaurant is lovely, light and airy, but the background music wasn't appropriate, an odd selection, maybe we noticed it more because it was so quiet with no other guests' chatter. The food was very good, although when we requested a bread roll we were told we could order a bread board. Last year they gave out rolls with the starters. Our waitress was pleasant and did her best to be helpful but not at the standard you would expect in a hotel restaurant. We would have found the meal expensive for what it was without our tastecard discount. Not sure if we will back, which is a shame, as last year it had a much better atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple