“What a Let Down”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We decided to visit this restaurant after work and were we disappointed! We had been there one lunch time and had no complaints but it seems the chef must be different on a night. I asked for a mixed starter and my colleague the same. We did start with Poppodoms and chutneys which were nice and crispy and probably the best we had. The starter came and I thought they were taking the mick two pieces of chicken one Bhaji and a small samosa. All of these looked like they had come from a supermarket. The samosa been a packet type you can buy in Asda. Poor stuff indeed. I had ordered a chicken Karai and my colleague a vegetable biryani. Pilau rice and a nan bread. I also ordered sheek kebabs as spare. My Karai was by far the worst cooked I have ever had chicken strips in a sauce is all I can say. The onions and green peppers that should be caramelised in a karai were raw!. The sauce was sauce with no hint of the spices usually used in this dish. The vegetable biryani my friend got was so small I asked him if it was a side dish. I think they need to look again at three things Quality Price and getting a decent chef who can cook from scratch and not rely on packet food and the hope that someone like me who has family background in Indian cuisine to pay a visit. Overall we were disappointed and the cost of £60 for the meal was far to high for the quality of food. We did cancel the percentage tip on the card machine as we felt they had taken enough for something that should have been 60% cheaper. Never going again will stick to our local and enjoy some genuine spicy delights

There are newer reviews for Nizam Indian Restaurant

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Samoosa as expected, very nice.
Murgh-Jhul, nice but far from the best I've tasted.
Sag Paneer, aweful really, very vinegary and the taste of the cheese was lost to this.
Papadam & mosalla papadums very nice, crisp and obviously freshly cooked.

Summary: will try again with a different dish but after first takeaway from here my expectations aren't that high.

Oh, online ordering via their website an absolute plus point!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Among the very best of Indians that I have visited with excellent flavours in the cooking. It is about 25% more expensive than others locally however, therefore 4 stars. We go occasionally, but would go regularly if it were more reasonable.

1  Thank avdow
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We decided to go here on Saturday night hungry. That was our first mistake! We arrived at 1915 and finally received our starters at 1955! 40 mins for Samosa. Our Main Course finally arrived at 2040, but as we hadn't been here in a while and was used to our local takeaway (big portions). We ordered 2 mains, 1 rice and 1 Nan bread and the portions were small. We didn't order anymore food because we were so fed up of waiting. The service is good, when you get it, but they seem to concentrate on their takeaway service! There were a few people complaining about not getting their drinks, wrong bills and waiting food etc. The food excellent and small portions, however if you go here on a Saturday night, arrive after 9pm when the takeaway service has died down.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Like the Nizam. It's well decorated and maintained and service is good. I'm surprised at review which comments on rude service as I have eaten there with family, children, same sex large group, birthday group and the waiting staff have adapted and added to the evening. It's relatively expensive but is in centre of town, feels like a night out and the food is good. The caveat I would add is in London or somewhere with more Indian restaurants the nizam would be pretty average for food and the prices would deter but in HH it gets away with charges as best Indian for a night out. ( curry inn gives it a run for food but nizam has nicer ambience)