“Not up to usual standard !”
Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Postcode RH164QY
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not up to usual standard !”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have often visited the Fox and Hounds and found the restaurant to be good value for money.

Our recent visit was below the usual high standard we are used to as as there was a temporary menu due to a recent power cut. For real ale drinkers this is a good pub as there is always a good selection of real ales.

Although the temporary menu still had a good choice we were disappointed with the long wait despite the pub being fairly empty. The main courses were popular but more than one person complained that their puddings were cold in our group.

Will give the pub the benefit of the doubt on this occassion as this is the first bad experience I have had in over a dozen visits !

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank paul19602013

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“poor food served”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Having previously eaten at the Fox and Hounds about a year ago, and the food was satisfactory, the food served today (lunch) was very poor. It was served cold, there were no fresh vegetables only carrots, the roast potatoes and parsnips were frozen vegetables, similar to 'aunt bessie's. My husband was not served with what he asked for. I asked the waitress to heat the food up, and a replacement meal came for my husband. We were not asked if the meal was satisfactory, nor we were offered compensation or an apology when we complained. I shall think twice before I go back here. I found it to be expensive for what it was.

• Visited December 2013
Uckfield, United Kingdom
“Not bad at all though interior is a little "over-pubbed"”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We moved in to the area in Feb and had been dying to try the place each time we went by as the car park is always full. We went for two courses for £6.95 to see what it gave, Nancy decided to not have a starter but a pud instead and I chose to have the pea and ham soup, with bread which was good and hot. I chose gammon for seconds which came with chips and peas though I thought the chips were rather bland and we ended up taking them home for another night, with extra oil and salt. The gammon was nice Nancy had a beef pie which was good although she said it did not have a lot of beef in it, and she thought the gravy was very pre-made and bland - and I thought it looked very perfectly made by machine in spite of being called homemade. The pudding was the best bit, and excellent chocolate brownie warmed with cream. The interior is over-egged and is not olde-wole pub in any way as it looks from outside , - all bright pine and lights, a bit clinical. There is an interesting black board with burger nights and other feasts, I would like to go back and have another go. I know we bought the 2 course lunch deal, but I think they could do better with less choice and I saw a big delivery of Brake Brothers boxed food and I think that very little is made on the premises. However, I will give it another go in new Year. Nice beers, well kept, also some specials on wine some nights with a bottle at £10.00 I had wanted to try the fish and chips this time, but was ut off by the fact it was whiting and not cod, I do not know if the fillets of whiting are as big as they look, but will report back. Overall, a nice place to go, so I am not going to be miserable about it

1 Thank Edward P
Hove, United Kingdom
“Quick lunch”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stopped off by chance for a quick lunch. It is an Embers Inn , so standard pub food. Food was good and staff efficient. Would go back again if in the area. Prices are reasonable.

1 Thank Simon1947
Thorney, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We visited here for lunch and also to celebrate my friends birthday. Found the restaurant cold and service slow despite us arriving at noon.
The food lacked presentation with a scoop of peas only which looked very unappetising. My friend commented that her chicken was very dry.
I ordered eton mess for dessert and was expecting strawberries not winter fruits.
We shall not be visiting again any time soon.