“Get what you pay for. £7 for two courses isn't bad considering standard of food.”
Review of The Fox and Hounds

The Fox and Hounds
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Postcode RH164QY
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Food was ok but typical of this kind of menu. Cottage Pie was ok but tasted like Tyne Brand mince! Risotto was tasty but haddock rubbery and no poached egg.

1  Thank Jofog

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We went here as a group on a Christmas outing. First good point is the decor, it's ok now, better than it used to be. But that's it, I'm afraid. After we ordered our drinks and sat down we waited, oh about a half an hour before the starters turned up. And believe me they were not worth waiting for. I had ordered the stuffed mushroom which turned out to be one sad, overlooked soggy thing sitting sadly on a piece of chewy bread with over melted cheese on it. Then we waited. And waited. And waited some more til eventually the main turned up. Three slices of cold chewy turkey in a watery gravy and the squishiest roast vegetables I've ever clapped eyes on, followed by Eton Mess. What a joke. It was a mess alright but not Eton. Aerosol cream has NO place in any restaurant. Ok it wasn't expensive but just as well. And can I just add that I had to leave work next day and take the following day off due to gripey tummy. There are other places nearby, go to them.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a Mitchell and Butlers run pub. It is good value and has a great selection of cask ales and lagers and some remarkably good value wines and sparkling wines. It is clearly a popular place for eating and has very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately the food is average. This pub is clearly pitched as a "gastro" pub and its alternative name is "The Ember DIning Rooms" - so on the day we attended we had 3 different menus presented to us - a set-menu, a specials menu and a main menu - all of which had a lot of options - even allowing for 8 different variations on burgers.

The food sounds very nice but my battered fish was a bit overcooked and the chips were not the best. Also the "traditional mushy peas" were in fact mashed fresh/frozen peas - not the traditional northern chip shop puree. Similarly a burger was OK but not great. All of this probably reflects the price point that they are aiming for - but I did get the feeling that if the choices were more restricted they might be able to do them a bit better.

This place is fine for a family or friends lunch/evening out but is nothing special.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I ordered a burger with cheese and bacon, but without the bun, my father ordered the gammon steak. We waited 45 minutes for it to arrive and when it did it went straight back, the burger was so overdone it was hard, the cheese and bacon both burnt. My father bravely soldiered on with his gammon as he was ravenous, he gave up halfway through in disgust. When my replacement burger arrived it looked barely better than the first offering. It appears that the chef, upon reading "no bun" also decided that I didn't want the accompanying salad either as there was just a hint of garnish. The billed "homemade coleslaw" was literally a few bits of dried up shredded white cabbage and carrot, no mayo. The chips on both plates were covered in black specks, as if they'd been in a dirty pan.
The waitress was apologetic explaining that she didn't think the chef would be there much longer! I can only hope for future diners that he leaves sooner rather later.
We were offered a full refund, all well and good but we left hungry.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We visited for a family gathering and had a very pleasant meal. The three courses for £11.99 menu is very reasonable with a good choice for the main course. The Somerset Brie is excellent and the chicken chimney pie was pretty good too. Service was good considering there were a number of us. There is also an excellent selection of local draft ales. There was a slight issue with the bill but that was soon sorted out. Overall great value for money and would happily return.