“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Returned for Sunday lunch today, to a disappointing meal. Gone were the crispy roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding was flat and soggy and the whole plate was swimming in dark "packet made" gravy. What a change! We discovered the pub had changed hands 2 weeks ago. We shall not be going back.

2  Thank Julia G

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have been to this pub many times, the first time for a wedding. The service has always been great and the food would put many top restaurants to shame. Not the easiest of entrances to spot as you drive down the road in the dark but well worth the effort. The food follows the, in my opinion , sensible logic of being good ingredients, well prepared and presented, without trying to get too clever and ram in too many competing flavours. It lets the quality speak for itself. Well worth a visit and good value too

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been here a few times now and everything has been faultless on each occasion. Am amazed by the previous review saying 'shame about the attitude'. The service when we've been there has been first class, as has the food.

There is nothing particularly special when you see the pub from the outside but, when you go in, the atmosphere is great - both the pub/bar area and the slightly more formal dining area.

They've recently had a change of chef but it has done nothing to change the excellent quality of food.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Really enjoyed the food when it finally came but would have appreciated a warmer welcome. This was the first time we had visited this pub as live out of the area and from the moment we stepped in, we didn't feel like our visit was in any way appreciated. There are plenty of establishments which offer both great food and great atmosphere so we won't be rushing back to this one. I constantly use Trip Advisor and had read the recent one about parking and abuse and these reviews make a difference so I would advise this pub takes note. A smile goes a long way.

2  Thank JuJD
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Food was very good and decent beer on tap in a well decorated pub in good location.
But...
I booked a table two days earlier but was told by the rather serious barmaid that they had no record of my reservation on arrival. But she did find us a table in the bar. Seemed odd.
We had trouble parking so to avoid blocking others in the car park, we parked side on as two other cars had. While waiting for our orders to be taken, a woman appeared carrying a dog and asked if I had parked side on, I said yes, she told me I was taking up 8 spaces, I explained why and that in fact it was only 2 spaces. She was not very polite and asked me to find the other owners and tell them to move! I replied they were nothing to do with me. Clearly the landlady as another reviewer mentioned. There didnt seem to be a very good organisation of waiting staff, so after taking 10 mins to deliver our drinks, the waitress then took 20 mins to take our food order, even after serving other customers who had arrived after us. Eventually the waitress did apologise as she took our orders.
Our food took 35 mins. to arrive. but fortunately was very tasty.
The pub was emptying soon after 4pm and we were told it was due to close. This also seemed unusual to shut in the afternoon. The barmaid who I paid was very perfunctory and didn't bother to say goodbye even though we were the last to leave.
We wont be hurrying back. Shame as the food was good, but service slow and not very friendly.

3  Thank Jade448