“Sunday Lunch”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Recently visited for a Sunday lunch. Really pleased to find probably the best roast beef we can remember having outside our home. All ingredients were of the highest quality and perfectly cooked. We had good starters too but then had quite a wait for the mains but it was worth it! We are going back soon to see if it was a lucky one off, or wether they serve this standard of food every Sunday.

1  Thank Julia G

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I passed by this pub this weekend and stopped in for a drink with my partner. The pub is actually very nice, the management however showed the worst levels of customer service I have ever witnessed in my life.
A poor chap and his wife came into the pub to advise they were just going for a walk and then would be back for a drink. The bar maid kindly agreed and off they went.....to their horror the chef came out to give them a piece of his mind for parking there- silly really considering he was shouting at his customers. Then, immediately after the "land lady" came out and in her trashy slang speak gave a similar rant- complete with swearing! I don't know who was more horrified, the gentleman who was parking or me as witness to this foul rant! I have never been so embarassed! It was refreshing to hear the guy tell the landlady where to go- at least he wasn't prepared to be spoken to like it! Needless to say, I got up and walked out and will never set foot in the pub again.
I don't expect I'll be passing anytime soon, so wanted to warn others to approach with care!

Such a shame as it is a nice venue (although looking at the managment response to another negative posting I don't think the "management" have any clue on customer service or how to deal with negative feedback!).

4  Thank TravelLover100800
HonestArchie, Owner at The Red Lion Chelwood Gate, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Well i just do not believe this we are a very busy pub and have limited parking for our customers, my wife and I waste at least an hour a day having to ask people not to use our car park as A PUBLIC CAR PARK as seen on the notices on the pub. There is a car park every half a mile on the ashdown forest which are free and for people to enjoy the lovely forest
As for the gentelman!!!! who posted this reveiw we were polite when asking if he had a lunch booking with us the responce is unprintable not to mention a very unfriendly phone call in the evening. May i say that all one hundred of my sunday lunch clients left my Pub very happy and satisfied customers and thanked me for saving them plenty of parking spaces

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Four of us had lunch here last week and it was a totally enjoyable experience. We sat on the comfortable settees near the log burning fire to look at the menu and then had lunch which was excellent quality and cooked to perfection. The staff were polite and efficient and we can't wait to return!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was recommended The Red Lion From a colleague so decided to have lunch there.
We received a friendly welcome and numerous tables to chooses from. My wife had Steak and Ale Pie which was homemade with a deliciously light pastry top and a rich filling with hearty chunks of beef. I chose the Liver Bacon and Onion from the specials board which was served with mash potato. The liver was thinly sliced and cooked to perfection. Crispy bacon and an excellent gravy rounded off the dish nicely. We both had dessert which complimented the meal, Sticky Toffee Pudding with ice cream and Brownie with Ice Cream. As far as drinks go the Spitfire ale was well kept and the coffee was first class.
I have been fortunate to dine in many gastropubs and restrurants and the Red Lion equalled among the best. Highly Recommended.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Food here was very good but means nothing with rude and lazy staff, what we couldn't believe that the rude staff were supported by rude management being offish our party had to complain to brewery, good to see Harvey's beer being served in a Shepard Naeem pub, don't go back.

2  Thank Jeremy R