“Great place, let down by grumpy receptionist.”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
“Great place, let down by grumpy receptionist.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Bailiffscourt for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's the fifth time we've been; on each occasion I'd have given it 5 stars all the way. The location is perfect; quiet, beautiful and close to the sea. The rooms are quirky but spacious, pretty and comfortable. The spa is the main selling point for us. It's the best we've ever been to. It's relaxing and the quality of the facilities and treatments is excellent.
The experience this time was let down by the room service breakfast and the grumpy receptionist on the morning we checked out. The continental breakfast was average, but missing some items including the newspaper. On enquiring about the missing items, the response was less than friendly. I was told that the newspaper was "complimentary and in any case it hasn't been delivered yet" (it was 10am). It may have been complimentary, but at £360 a night I expect a bit better! Other than that, the experience was excellent and we will no doubt go back again.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Brighton, sussex
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is in a very quiet countryside location only 200 metres to the beach. We stayed in a modern superior room which was very nice. We used the spa facilities which were very good.
All staff whom we encountered at the hotel were very friendly and polite. Their service was excellent.
We dined in the hotel on two occasions, on the first evening we were shown to a table, the setting was lovely and candlelit, it was then spoilt by several families with children under 5, wailing which created a stressful atmosphere. The following evening we requested to be seated away from very young children, the waiter kindly obliged and this led to a relaxing experience.
The food here is excellent.

Room Tip: The Modern Superior room have the option of air conditioning the older themed rooms do not.
Dominican Republic
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have just returned from a one night stay. The hotel is lovely, and we were lucky that the weather was hot and sunny, so we spent most of our time around the outdoor pool. The only drawback was the sound of the jacuzzi pump, which was reminiscent of a Trent 900 engine at full thrust. It ruined the peace of the otherwise delightful gardens, and was even audible in the beautiful walled garden where pre-prandial drinks are served. This is an issue that could easily be resolved, and we very much hope that it will be before our next visit.

1 Thank LucyLouiseW
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be treated to a stay at Bailiffscourt as a birthday treat and it was absolute bliss. From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic and this continued throughtout the duration of our stay. We spent the afternoon in the spa -enjoying a glass of fizz whilst relaxing in the hot tub was certainly a high point. I then booked in for a facial, Emily was my therapist and she was great. In the treatment room the bed is THE BEST I have ever had, you lay on a hot water bed - total luxury, in fact I would have been happy just to relax there for 30mins!! The bedrooms are spread out around the grounds of the hotel, our room was lovely, homemade biscuits, lovely toiletries and a super comfy bed. Dinner and breakfast were both of a high standard - no complaints at all. I left this hotel feeling very relaxed and desperately trying to find another reason to visit!! If I was to be really picky the only recommendations I could make are to offer filter coffee in the room and the changing facilities are too small - this really is all I could think of!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, East Sussex
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We only booked for one night but it is an amazing place. Only has a 3* rating & I don't know why!
The weather was perfect so we spent the afternoon in & around the outside heated pool. Pre - dinner Drinks outside our room in the beautiful grounds watching the resident peacock, then on to restaurant for a wonderful dinner.
Be aware that Everything is expensive! ( G & T & a glass of red wine around £9 each) & 2 coffees around £9
Check- in is 3 pm but if you arrive earlier you can use the spa & facilities.
We had a superior room (Freelandes ) one of the modern ones, which was spacious & had a lovely bathroom . Room cleaning could be improved as cobwebs in room & Tv screen was very dirty but nothing major that out us off.
Breakfast was amazing - one of the best ever.
I'd certainly like to go again but next time I'd take a bottle wine for the room as bar prices felt a bit of a rip off.

Room Tip: Freelances room is quiet ( but then they probably all are) spacious & bright. Away from main bui...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bookworm77
Sussex
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was bought 2 vouchers for the Sunset Spa for my Birthday from my wonderful Son. I took my Husband as i felt we could both do with a bit of relaxation and pampering.. We arrived early afternoon as we wanted to enjoy a walk around the grounds as it was a beautiful sunny day. We were greeted warmly by everyone that we met and made our way to the courtyard for coffee, The building is not as old as it looks in fact it was built in 1927 and completed in 1933 but some of the doors and bricks were from other buildings some back as far as the 14th c. It has plenty of character and there are various buildings in the grounds inc the Spa, which was where we arrived at 4.15pm for the use of all facilities. We were shown around and given lockers to leave our belongings and fluffy white robes and slippers to "float" around in. There is a heated indoor and outdoor pool also 2 Jacuzzis, steam room, sauna and Gym. We headed straight to the indoor Jacuzzi where a young lady brought glasses of Champagne to us......luxury! Unfortunately the peace and relaxation came to an abrupt end when we were joined in the pool by 4 very loud children jumping in and yelling constantly whilst the parents laid by the pool looking on! Later after enjoying the other facilities we showered and relaxed whilst waiting to be called for our massage treatments. My Husband opted for the lower leg and feet massage by Holly and said it was very good indeed. I was met by Emily who took me to a dimly lit warm and wonderfully relaxing room, i have had treatments at other establishments but i have never experienced the amazing massage table that was there. It was like an enormous hot water bottle, soft, pliable, comfortable and warm water running through it! just heavenly. I had a 25 minute back, neck, arms and shoulder massage and afterwards i felt as though i had been fillited!!! I met uo with my Husband upstairs and we rested in the relaxation room and drank water and could stay in there as long as we needed. Later after getting changed we were booked into the Hotel restaurant for a 2 course meal. We were the first to arrive at 7pm and ordered our food, i opted for the lamb and my Husband the Beef, we were brought over various breads, olives and oils whilst we were waiting, and sadly waiting and waiting and yes more waiting!! the restaurant had half filled and eveyone but us had started there mains, by now unfortunatley i was not feeling quite as relaxed as i should have been, The manager eventually arrived with 2 glasses of Champagne and apologies that our order had gone to another table. I told him it was not Champagne we wanted but our dinner! we were then offered more bread and olives, i just wanted to know how much longer we were expected to wait, by now it was well over an hour.It did eventually arrive and it was very tasty though of course not a lot of it but cooked well and arranged beautifully. We ordered our desserts which again were very attractive and tasty but again a long wait for it to arrive. If we returned it would not be during a school holiday and we would not stay for a meal,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

But you aren't.

This is a deceiving hotel. It feels so isolated but its actually a stones throw from towns. It feels ancient but is actually a relatively modern building.

But one thing it doesn't deceive on is the excellent service, fantastic food and wonderful atmosphere.

Yes, it is expensive (even more so if you get a better room - which I highly recommend) but as a treat... It's hard to beat for a weekend away!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Squaremeal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,933 reviews
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!