“Excellent stay for 2 nights”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
Cobham, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay for 2 nights”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

First time we had stayed here. Definitely can recommend. The staff were friendly, and efficient. Excellent food in the restaurant. Our room was very spacious with good facilities. We also made use of the Spa which was very good.
Couldn't fault it any way. We will be back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Walton
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a gem of a hotel and quite different from anywhere I have stayed. The main reception area has a number of small rooms off of it which takes in various small bars with nooks and crannies, to the main restaurant and other private dining rooms. Some of the accommodation is also within the main house, but the majority is scattered in blocks and medieval looking barns and houses surrounding the main house. Secret passage ways and unqique grounds make this feel like from a story book - from the large rope swing from a tree to the peacocks wandering around and a 5 min walk actually takes you straight to the sea and pebble beach.
Our large room was in a small block overlooking fields. Bathroom had underfloor heating which was a good feature.
Staff friendly and relaxed and nothing was too much trouble - from taking time off reception to show us other rooms and key to look round the litttle chapel that features on the estate.
The spa is stunning and a great way to relax, Our treatments gave a general sense of calm and well being. A good size indoor pool as well as heated outdoor pool which we made full use of.
Excellent food and a good afternoon tea. Didn't want to leave. Will definitely return. Dogs welcome.

Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was the second time my wife and I have stayed and this event was our anniversary and the staff arranged the same room and also the same table in the restaurant. The bottle of champagne that I ordered appeared at exactly 9pm as I had requested. The service was excellent with the only irritant being that the room was not ready at the allotted time of 3pm and we had to hang around for 30 minutes. However, they did arrange a complimentary pot of coffee.

It is not a cheap option for a night away but the location is excellent and the ambience superb.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sheeplands ..... 4 poster bed and very antique ... lovely
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

A wonderful respite break. Spa treatments and service exceptional. The food fabulous - fine dining by the sea, what more could one want. A lovely homely feel with its unique small sitting rooms and comfortable bedrooms. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Now that I have found it I shall definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank maddiefountain
Sussex
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Decided to book for the special event - fish and sparkling wine dinner. So it seemed sensible to stay overnight. I got a deal on the room rate and thought I would spend time in the spa the next day.
The dinner was fantastic, the hotel's fish supplier gave an entertaining talk. All the sparkling wine was from Ridgeview http://www.ridgeview.co.uk/ my favourite bubbly. Mike Roberts was on good form and his talk was excellent.
My room was very comfortable, spotlessly clean and the shower was great.
Breakfast was great, liked the idea of whiskey with my porridge!!
Then on to the spa, had a pedicure, this was good. Then as the day was sunny, one of the few this year I spent most of the day in and out of the pool. I also had alight lunch in the spa.
All in all a really lovely break away! Excellent and friendly service.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Beautiful hotel, very friendly staff, excellent service. Couldn't fault it in any way. Didn't use the spa facilities but they looked very good. Not the cheapest hotel stay but well worth the extra expense. Will definitely re-visit when I return to the area again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank R D
Suffolk
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A fabulous setting in a peaceful countryside setting in beautiful grounds next to a beautiful wild beach. A wonderful set of buildings. Amazing food. Lovely Maitre d'. The main house has a lovely set of intimate lounges, beautifully furnished. It doesn't feel like a hotel; more like a home, and indeed it was once that - it shows. Overall the hotel has thought of everything and either everyone who works here takes pride/enjoys their job or the management is very good - hopefully both!

The service is 1st class: discreet, welcoming, friendly and above all very helpful and thoughtful. Here's a few examples: I booked a massage and because I was having a good time at lunch, forgot the time and missed the appointment. I remembered an hour and a half too late. The reception rang me to advise I'd missed it but that it had been rescheduled for me the next day. A much nicer message than: you'll have to pay anyway and positive pro-active. They brought room service to my room on 2 nights. It was raining quite hard with a gale on one of the nights and to them 'it was no trouble at all.' I felt terrible that I didn't have any change to tip the young guys who brought over the food! Next time I will... Reception also rang me to ask if I was coming to breakfast; on the last day I didn't fancy it (they were thoughtful enough to make sure I wasn't running late).

The rooms:
These are split between contemporary and medieval. I stayed in a medieval cottage room. It was lovely with nice furnishings inc a pretty Knole sofa and the bedlinen is very good quality (soft and high thread count).

Dogs:
I have 2 jack russells and they were welcomed with some dog bowls ready in the room. Dogs are allowed in the lounges and main areas. I didn't see any others but mine felt very at home.

There were so many things that impressed me about this hotel. I hardly ever write reviews but the hotel really deserves all the praise they get. I had a wonderful 4 days.

What I liked:

The Spa - very well put together with an outdoor and indoor pool. Probably might get a bit busy when the hotel is fully booked but was fine when we were there.
Cream teas - scones are fresh and they are generous with the cream and jam. The tea is good quality.

Bathroom - was clean and tidy with character yet still contemporary. The shower was really powerful. Products were replenished up daily.

Bathroom products - I brought my own along as hotel supplies usually buy cheap bulk stuff that looks good that irrirates the skin. However Bailiffscourt supplies only the best without parabens and other nasties.

Change over - the bedroom was cleaned every day and the sheets changed after only 2 nights.

The Maitre d' - Such a character and very good with guests. He wears a different kilt everyday!

Immaculate - throughout I would describe the hotel as pretty spick and span. It's very difficult to keep things 100% but they do a pretty good job (more comments below where improvements could be made).

Reception staff - friendly and helpful without going over the top.

The food - this was fabulous. Not too much or too little. Imaginative menu. A concise choice but it doesn't feel limited. Just right. I ate far too much. But it was worth it!

Things that could be improved -
I would go back to this hotel so these are very minor and can all be fixed (hopefully the hotel will take note).

The motor noise generated by the hot tub which can be heard across the lawns. Did rather spoil an hour in the garden at sunset.

The kitchen fans are quite noisy for the adjacent bedrooms (so glad we weren't in one of these! I did see another comment about this lower down before I booked.)

Room 'feng shui' - Whilst lovely there was room for improvement e.g. maybe a wall mounted TV instead of putting it on the dresser where you could watch it in bed but not from the sofa. There was a chair which was a bit heavy for dragging across to the dressing table.

Wireless Internet - In this day and age there is no reason why the hotel does very good wireless internet all over the hotel (i.e. it's possible to link several netgear). There were only a couple of lounges in the main hotel where the Internet was okay. Luckily I did not have to do any work. That said you can plug into the mains in your rooms so if you have a PC that's okay. I had iPad and Ipod not wanting to bring my PC on hols. If the hotel warned at the time of booking it might have been helpful to some guests.

Spa changing rooms - These are quite cramped and dark. It was hard to see in the changing room storage cubicle for your clothes. There is no where to get changed privately. The lavatory sink area is wood and so wet and partially rotting / lifting. That said it's a lot better than many places I've seen. The showers were very good and very clean. The towels are a bit small but they don't mind if you take 2 or 3 as needed; it seems most people do! Officially you only get a robe if you are having a treatment, so if you leave yours in your room they won't give you one unless you meet someone very giving on reception.

There aren't many hotels that one would go back to but Bailiffscourt has a great combination of fabulous setting, lovely buildings, excellent food and first class service. This was a much needed break for myself and husband. I am tempted and will be keeping my eye out for any future special offers!

Room Tip: Book a room away from the loud aircon or spa hot tub motor Do try a massage - the water style beds...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
#5 of 7 in Arundel
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!