“A wonderful hotel: has everything”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
Suffolk
“A wonderful hotel: has everything”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A fabulous setting in a peaceful countryside setting in beautiful grounds next to a beautiful wild beach. A wonderful set of buildings. Amazing food. Lovely Maitre d'. The main house has a lovely set of intimate lounges, beautifully furnished. It doesn't feel like a hotel; more like a home, and indeed it was once that - it shows. Overall the hotel has thought of everything and either everyone who works here takes pride/enjoys their job or the management is very good - hopefully both!

The service is 1st class: discreet, welcoming, friendly and above all very helpful and thoughtful. Here's a few examples: I booked a massage and because I was having a good time at lunch, forgot the time and missed the appointment. I remembered an hour and a half too late. The reception rang me to advise I'd missed it but that it had been rescheduled for me the next day. A much nicer message than: you'll have to pay anyway and positive pro-active. They brought room service to my room on 2 nights. It was raining quite hard with a gale on one of the nights and to them 'it was no trouble at all.' I felt terrible that I didn't have any change to tip the young guys who brought over the food! Next time I will... Reception also rang me to ask if I was coming to breakfast; on the last day I didn't fancy it (they were thoughtful enough to make sure I wasn't running late).

The rooms:
These are split between contemporary and medieval. I stayed in a medieval cottage room. It was lovely with nice furnishings inc a pretty Knole sofa and the bedlinen is very good quality (soft and high thread count).

Dogs:
I have 2 jack russells and they were welcomed with some dog bowls ready in the room. Dogs are allowed in the lounges and main areas. I didn't see any others but mine felt very at home.

There were so many things that impressed me about this hotel. I hardly ever write reviews but the hotel really deserves all the praise they get. I had a wonderful 4 days.

What I liked:

The Spa - very well put together with an outdoor and indoor pool. Probably might get a bit busy when the hotel is fully booked but was fine when we were there.
Cream teas - scones are fresh and they are generous with the cream and jam. The tea is good quality.

Bathroom - was clean and tidy with character yet still contemporary. The shower was really powerful. Products were replenished up daily.

Bathroom products - I brought my own along as hotel supplies usually buy cheap bulk stuff that looks good that irrirates the skin. However Bailiffscourt supplies only the best without parabens and other nasties.

Change over - the bedroom was cleaned every day and the sheets changed after only 2 nights.

The Maitre d' - Such a character and very good with guests. He wears a different kilt everyday!

Immaculate - throughout I would describe the hotel as pretty spick and span. It's very difficult to keep things 100% but they do a pretty good job (more comments below where improvements could be made).

Reception staff - friendly and helpful without going over the top.

The food - this was fabulous. Not too much or too little. Imaginative menu. A concise choice but it doesn't feel limited. Just right. I ate far too much. But it was worth it!

Things that could be improved -
I would go back to this hotel so these are very minor and can all be fixed (hopefully the hotel will take note).

The motor noise generated by the hot tub which can be heard across the lawns. Did rather spoil an hour in the garden at sunset.

The kitchen fans are quite noisy for the adjacent bedrooms (so glad we weren't in one of these! I did see another comment about this lower down before I booked.)

Room 'feng shui' - Whilst lovely there was room for improvement e.g. maybe a wall mounted TV instead of putting it on the dresser where you could watch it in bed but not from the sofa. There was a chair which was a bit heavy for dragging across to the dressing table.

Wireless Internet - In this day and age there is no reason why the hotel does very good wireless internet all over the hotel (i.e. it's possible to link several netgear). There were only a couple of lounges in the main hotel where the Internet was okay. Luckily I did not have to do any work. That said you can plug into the mains in your rooms so if you have a PC that's okay. I had iPad and Ipod not wanting to bring my PC on hols. If the hotel warned at the time of booking it might have been helpful to some guests.

Spa changing rooms - These are quite cramped and dark. It was hard to see in the changing room storage cubicle for your clothes. There is no where to get changed privately. The lavatory sink area is wood and so wet and partially rotting / lifting. That said it's a lot better than many places I've seen. The showers were very good and very clean. The towels are a bit small but they don't mind if you take 2 or 3 as needed; it seems most people do! Officially you only get a robe if you are having a treatment, so if you leave yours in your room they won't give you one unless you meet someone very giving on reception.

There aren't many hotels that one would go back to but Bailiffscourt has a great combination of fabulous setting, lovely buildings, excellent food and first class service. This was a much needed break for myself and husband. I am tempted and will be keeping my eye out for any future special offers!

Room Tip: Book a room away from the loud aircon or spa hot tub motor Do try a massage - the water style beds...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Reviewed September 21, 2012

A picturesque complex of buildings in a rural location overlooking fields and just a couple of minutes walk from the beach.
Small room (Rigates) badly in need of decoration. A square of carpet next to the bed stuck down with gaffer tape was more reminiscent of a cheap B&B than a 5 star hotel, and I wasn't sure if the dressing table mirror was taking the medieval theme too far, or was just knackered.
Checking in was very inefficient. A number of guests arrived at the same time as a wedding party, and the sole receptionist was busy sorting out a query from two spa members who seemed to think that their membership gave them the right to barge in and take priority over everyone else. This left six of us queuing in reception, trying to keep out of the bride's wedding pictures. A very uncomfortable start to our stay.
The food was good, but the service was very, very slow.
A ladies toilet was blocked and was in danger of overflowing.
This place needs a goods shake up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sussexnomad
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had a lovely stay blessed with beautiful weather. The short walk to the beach is a great way to spend some time. The hotel is very well kept and the staff well trained and friendly. The only micro comment I would make regarding the food is that it would have been nice to have had an alternative menue for those who prefer simple good home cooking (me) This is by no means a criticism of the food on the menue as this is faultless. My comment is one of prefrence. The spa and pool area is great too. The outside pool area is relaxing with plenty of loungers available. We stayed in the new modern block built a few years ago and we were very happy with the contemporary room we had. It was well set out with plenty of windows to allow cool air to flow through. The bed was comfy and the bathroom well appointed and stylish. We will visit again for sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in Breaden which is on second floor and nice and cool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Liquidlen48
Shurlock Row, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Our stay was excellent. Room lovely, food very good, freshly cooked breakfast to order. Staff helpful and friendly. Have been to Bailiffscourt many times and have always enjoyed our stay. Will be back there again soon.

Room Tip: Would highly recommend staying in the Atherington, which is in the grounds. Very peaceful, beautiful...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

The location and grounds of Bailiffscourt Hotel are fantastic and loved being so close to the sea which was very peaceful. Very much appreciated the upgrade in room due to my husband needing a walk in shower. General service was okay but would suggest training restaurant staff a bit more but they didn't lack for enthusiasm. Service was at times slow and may need more staff over dinner. Rooms whilst in the medieval style do need slightly more care and attention in cleaning and the odd touch up as our room was a little tired. With regards to parking there is plenty but would suggest the hotel put in place restrictions in front of buildings etc as can detract from the feel of the place. All in all though lovely facilities and beautiful grounds with the bonus of being in both a country and sea location, would recommend.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A wonderful place to stay. It is a touch expensive, but everything was faultless. Perhaps they shouldn't charge quite so much for little things - a small glass of beer, half pint if that, was 4 pounds, I think, and a G & T about 9 pounds. But delightful staff and grounds. Food very good. Wine list good. Our boy loved it. A real treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had a grand old time at this fabulous property, the "medieval" buildings which have housed all sorts of grand socialites over the years. Food and especially wine were very good; a wild beach is close by, and the spa - with indoor and warm outdoor pools - make it a great place for posh lounging. In midweek, the place was a paradise - quiet and luxurious, with mostly attentive service (mostly - tho on initial arrival we were faced with a chap busy with an adding machine, who after a while looked up and asked "you OK there?" - maybe not quite the 5-star welcome). Later in the week, as it got busier, with a wedding imminent, things began to creak, and service struggled to cope, eg with clearing and turning round outdoor tables for breakfast, slow taking restaurant orders etc. The buildings, facilities and situation are the stars here; with just a bit of effort to bring all the service levels consistently up to the level of the best, this could be our perfect bolthole!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!