“If you are looking for a relaxing weekend away with friends or loved one this is the place.”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I was looking for a couple of days away with a friend with a few spa treatments, near the sea in relaxing, non-corporate hotel surroundings with good food and Baliffscourt ticked all the boxes! Set in beautiful grounds walking distance from the sea we were greeted by peacocks amidst a sea of daffodils and beautiful buildings that felt like a set from a BBC period drama. Whilst the hotel itself is smart it is also relaxed and welcoming as was the service. Everyone we spoke to was friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the modern rooms that was separate to the main building and it was tastefully decorated, spacious with all the usual modcons. The modern building was not so great on the outside but didnt have to look at it for long. The spa was fabulous - again, clean, smart but not corporate. I had a body scrub on a heated water bed with bowls of oils wafting - bliss! The two treatments I had did exactly what was listed and were carried out by 2 girls who clearly loved what they did and who they worked for - a good balance of chat and quiet, quality products and beautifully executed - faultless. The outdoor pool is also another major plus set within beautiful surrounds, on our first night we swam neath the stars and drank white wine whilst sat in the hot tub. Small but good gym and with the coast so close you can easily take your exercise with a run down the beach or many country foot paths. Close too to Arundel if you want culture, sightseeing or to do a spot of shopping in a beautiful,uncommercial place.

The only negatives I have are small things which could be easily rectified - one rainy day we borrowed dvds from the hotel library free of charge( another good perk) but there was no scart lead so took a while to get it working (would be good to check these things first). The afternoon tea was lovely with home made scones and clotted cream but the jam was the cheap jars you get in naf chain restaurants. For a place this smart I expect more. The flowers on the table at dinner were petrol station Chrysanths - no excuse at this time of year with daffs out - again, a bit naf. Also a glass of champagne was Savoy prices. Minor things but when a place has a croquet lawn and a heli-pad I also expect quality in the detail. All in all though, a perfect weekend retreat with friend for a spa or loved one for a relaxed romantic weekend away. Already planning my next trip!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jbd2008-11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Took my wife here for her 40th brithday, went using one of their deals so it worked out pretty good value, only wish we'd taken advantage of the spa the day after we'd checked out but had to get back to the pesky kids!

The hotel were very accomodating allowing us to check in at 12 insted of 3 and we were given a complementary bottle of bubbly due to a very minor hiccup. The Duck main course was amazing!

Would definately recommend a visit and hope to return soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dorfer1966
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stunning, Romantic and the food - Shockingly Good. You just have to stay for a few nights. Take you pet if you like, stroll along the beach, go to Arundel or Chichester. It really is delightful..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kipims
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Beautiful, relaxing, high quality, the perfect stay!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank TF2011
Westerham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed for one night and came away incredibly relaxed. The 85 minute drift away vespers massage was the best ever. The pool was clean,warm and in a lovely light building. Food was delicious with plenty of choice for my veggie (fish eating) friend.We had a snack on arrival, dinner & breakfast all perfectly cooked and really fresh ingredients. Staff were very attentive and our room was 1st class. Surprised to have sheets and blankets on beds but all very cosy. Buildings beautiful and hotel very well run. Will return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We've loved lunching at the Bailliffscourt for many years but on Valentine's day we suffered a very restricted choice on the lunch menus, both the table d'hote 'cheapie' as well as the a la carte. The choices weren't at all balanced. I sent my starter back as it tasted unpleasant; it was the only one of three choices I liked, so I declined the helpful offer of a substitute. The main course, was an experimental marriage of flavours which seemed bizarre and overpowering, just too much ginger matched with fatty fried breaded fish and breaded croquette potatoes, the latter with a slimy texture reminiscent of 'smash'. My husband chose the same, and although he will eat anything, he didn't like his, either. The sweets were acceptable, but the last straw was an encounter with a defensive maitre d'hotel who wanted to educate me in how to negotiate the inadequate menu without a word of apology. My background is in catering, our family owned a country house hotel for many years and I have a reasonably good palate. Most disappointed and don't want to have our nice memories disturbed again with another bad meal. My feedback was asked for, at least they noticed we hadn't eaten our food, but my responses, for their benefit were turned against me. I would like to write to the manager, but another customer's review said they received no response. I'd rather move on.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rebalance
ChrisBailiffs, Manager at Bailiffscourt Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Many thanks for your candid feedback and sorry to hear you did not have the luncheon experience you had hoped for. Our Chefs daily luncheon menu,3-3-3, priced at £16.50 for 2 courses (or £12.50 with a voucher) offers good value and has been very popular. The luncheon a la carte menu,4-4-4 is also available. The menus do change regularly, so I hope you will ask for me when you next visit so I can welcome you back personally.
UK
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We were staying just one night but we felt as if we had been on holiday - The room was lovely the four poster bed very comfortable, and the setting heavenly. The staff were very polite and helpful. The dining room was spectacular along with the food. You may think the portions look small but it is such a pleasure to taste all the wonderful flavours,the three courses are perfect. i think maybe they might have had a run on the champagne as ours needed to be chilled by the table, but once chilled superb!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hotblob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
#5 of 7 in Arundel
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!