“Do you like cold showers?”
Review of The Hickstead

The Hickstead
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolney
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Do you like cold showers?”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had fully intended to write a positive review until I woke up in the morning. I woke up to a terrible view of a scrap yard when i requested a good view and to cold water in the shower. There water was room temperature warm at best. A huge fail for standard expectations. There was a long line at the check out desk on departure. I was once a hotel manager myself so when I walked out I left the key on the desk and told the clerk that I was checking out. I did this because they took my card details on arrival and even charged 1p to it. I was then told to take my key and get in line. I waited for 20 minutes until I was able to check out. When I worked at a hotel you could leave your key and we would charge the bill to the card and send the receipt if requested.

I booked the room based on breakfast being included but it wasn't stated that it was a buffet breakfast. This should be stated.

A real positive of the stay was that it had a good WiFi connected and the staff were very polite. I think I could do a better job of managing it though.

1 Thank Adam D
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write on trip advisor.

I am very sorry that you had to endure a luke warm shower . We have normally very poerful and hot showers which you can see from other trip advisor feedback and having not checked out your shower it would appear that the cartridge containing the thermostat was beginning to wear out , something unfortunately whihc can happen without warning . I can assure you it is not the standard we would normally offer .

As regards the delay at checkout , as you stated about working in a hotel previously , the practise of no delay checkout is now very difficult due to changes in the law regarding credit cards and confidentiality , which means we are unable to hold the three digit security numbers to process charges in the absence of guests . This effectively means that although we take your number on arrival - the 0.01 p which was taken and refunded in the same action in order for us to load your card on to our system , we cannot process anything without the customer being present or the hotel calling you afterwards .

I am sorry that you arrived to checkout at the peak time on a Sunday and therefore had to wait a short time , but in a 52 bedroomed hotel , peaks such as thios are very rare and it is the first time in 5 years that it has been an issue in my experience .

Breakfast is normally a plated offering but on a Sunday with 100 people in the hotel mostly coming down in the space of one hour from 09.00 - 10.00 I am sure you can appreciate it is almost impossible to get a plated food out to everyone on an individual basis .

I am delighted the staff looked after you and hope that despite your observations you may return on some future occasion .

If you wish to discuss the matter further please feel free to contact me at the hotel .

Giles Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Newhaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed as a night away (only a very few miles from home) to celebrate our first anniversary. Appropriately there was a Wedding taking place in the hotel, which obviously reminded us of things even more. The deal we got was excellent, the 2 of us with a 3 course meal and B&B for around £100. The room was comfortable and well maintained, and the staff were welcoming from the start (esp. Jenny Baker in the the Dining Room). Thank you all for a lovely evening with great homemade/cooked food and a fantastic buffet full English in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013
I was absolutely delighted you chose the Hickstead to celebrate your first Weddinmg Anniversary and that you were looked after with our normal Hickstead Hospitality .

Please come and see us again soon or try one of the other classic lodges across the Uk .

Wishing you both many happy years of Wedded Bliss

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My Wife and I had our wedding at the Hickstead Hotel on May 11th 2013 and it was the best single day of our lives. The best day of your life doesn’t just happen on its own and I would say that the team at the Hickstead Hotel had a big hand in making it happen. Giles, who is the General Manager at the Hickstead, guided us through the whole process from start to finish and he ensured that the big day went off smoothly. The staff cannot do enough for you. One member of staff by the name of Jenny, for example, stayed with my wife, mother-in-law and bridesmaid long after her shift had finished to help them decorate the Reception Room. This not only allowed my wife to get to bed a lot sooner but also helped settle her nerves. The staff also do everything they do with a smile!

The Hotel itself is clean and tidy. On our wedding day everything was decorated beautifully according to our requirements. The food was fantastic. We got a food tasting session in advance of the wedding. The choice was difficult when all the dishes were lovely. By the time it got to the wedding day my wife and I were looking forward to tucking into the food we had previewed.

If you are looking for a place to get married then the Hickstead is a place that my wife and I cannot recommend enough. In one word… superb!

Steffi and Danny Davies

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Danny D
Dear Danny and Steffi

Thanks for all your lovely words . All the planning over the past two years was worth it . It was a pleasure getting to know you both and the family and I was so pleased we met your expectations .

As with any business we have to make a profit to carry on in business , but the main reason we all work hard and are committed to and believe in our offering at The Hickstead Hotel is that we genuinely want to offer our guests a first class personal service . When it is recognised in this way it really makes everything worthwhile for myself and the team .

I look forward to keeping in touch and seeing you in the coming year

Giles
Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Needed to be in the area overnight and the Premier was full which was a jolly good thing as I had a wonderful stay at the Hickstead Hotel. From the moment I walked in to when I left I had fabulous service. The friendly receptionist quickly signed me in and even came to my room to 'sort my TV out'! I had arranged for a couple of friends who live locally to join me for a drink and Hassan, behind the bar, looked after us beautifully. I ordered room service just before 9pm (they helpfully reminded me that 9pm was last orders) of sirloin steak, mushrooms, tomato and offered me a selection of vegetables instead of the fries. The 'au poivre' sauce was in a separate jug. It arrived promptly and was exceptionally good. The steak was a good thickness and cooked perfectly and all the vegetables were delicious. It was so good I was compelled to leave a thank you note on the tray for the chef! The room was a very good size (Room 126), immaculately clean and well appointed. If I was being very picky my slight niggles (which is what prevents a 5* review) are that the lighting in the room was generally dim (although I have noticed that hotels do this quite often), the bathroom floor tiling/grouting needs some attention and the very comfortable mattress was creaky on one side (quickly sorted by sleeping on the other side!). The breakfast was superb; served by a couple of lovely and friendly staff. The usual cereal and fruit and juice selection but it was a refreshing change not to have to cook your own toast and to have a large range of cooked breakfasts offered. All brought with a smile and perfectly cooked. Thank you Hickstead Hotel for a very comfortable stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 126 is on the ground floor and near reception. It is situated by the front door of the Hotel s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and thorough critique of your stay with us at The Hickstead Hotel . I am delighted that you were not disappointed with your second choice of hotel and I hope when you return it will be your first choice .

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a nice overnight stay at the hotel - room was ample for one night and service in restaurant exemplary! Food was well presented and tasty. As it was a Saturday evening there was a function taking place and there was a little noise from those staying for this, but it wasn't intrusive.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here recently while on business in the area. Nice clean hotel, big rooms, good internet access. Evening meal of a decent standard and Breakfast cooked to order. Good deals available BB&D, so a good call if your looking for a short stay in this area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank your for your review whilst down on business .

I am delighted you experienced a good level of Hickstead Hospitality and hope to see you again soon

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were given a gift to have a Cream Tea at this hotel. The cream tea was plentiful and delicious although we did have to advise them 2 or 3 times that we were vegetarian before getting the correct sandwiches! We found the room comfortable and very clean, as is the hotel, the breakfast had plenty to choose from and was tasty. Apart from the first hiccup, the staff were extremely attentive and we would stay here again, as we were made to feel very welcome and comfortable.

1 Thank Jan D
I am delighted you took the time to write a review after your recent stay . I do a[pologise about the mixup over the sandwiches for the afternoon tea , something that we deal with all the time , but I am glad it was resolved and did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable break and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Giles Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolney
Travelodge Hickstead Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ditchling
Cisswood House
Cisswood House
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to The Hickstead? Share your experiences!