“Wonderful Half Day Activity in West Sussex”
Review of Bolney Wine Estate

English Wine Tasting Tour to Sussex from London
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Bolney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Our family owned vineyard was established in 1972 and we produce award-winning red, white and sparkling English wine. We recently opened a new visitors centre with an enlarged cafe and retail shop and a fantastic viewing balcony overlooking 18 acres of vines. Why not come along and enjoy breakfast or lunch with friends and sample our wines? You can also book a guided tour & tasting (variety of dates and times available) or perhaps experience one of our popular wine masterclasses on a Saturday? We also run special events throughout the year, including fine-dining evenings and summer evening tours.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 28, 2014

My wife purchased this wine tour for me as a birthday present and we visited together on Saturday 9 August. We both had a great few hours at Bolney Estate and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend as a nice half day activity in West Sussex (in fact I have already been doing so to friends!).

During our visit two young but very friendly and knowledgeable guides were on hand to answer questions both before the tour, during and importantly afterwards whilst we enjoyed the wine tastings which were accompanied by some rather delicious selections of meats, cheese, breads and olives. We did not meet or see Sam the wine estate manager but both our guides spoke well of her and enthused about the work she has done to place both the wine estate and the Bolney wines on the map. Having now experienced the well organised and run winery tour and tasted some of the fine English wines from here I would certainly agree with them.

Our experience of the day was very much as as JETodd below describes. All in all a great set up and a very enjoyable. Like another poster, I am completely complexed at JanusLondon's report as we certainly did not experience any of her issues and can not agree with her views.

A great half day out in Bolney, West Sussex. Try it!

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Good coffee, nice selection of lunch snacks, very pleasant café and on a sunny day an outside eating area adjacent to the vineyard.

1  Thank rogermb
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Been a Bolney drinker for a while....mostly the Cuvée Rosé, so thought it was time to pay a visit. Enjoyed the tour despite torrential rain, and the tasting too, I'm glad the Lychgate red/white weren't featured as I've tried them before,many didn't enjoy them - the white in particular. The Pinot Gris was stunning, comparable to Italian PGs from the Sud Tirol, the rosé was big on nose and flavour, and the Pinot Noir was eminently quaffable....welcome away with several bottles of each. The three staff we came across were charming passionate and informative.
Was initially a little concerned by the recent 'terrible' review by
'Janus', but after an enjoyable and enlightening day it's quite clear that this review emanated from their 'janus'....

1  Thank Saucisson125
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The tour of the vineyard was interesting, but when it came to tasting the wine things went down hill very rapidly. I didn't know much about English wine and now I know to avoid it especially the one produced here, out of the three I tasted only one was drinkable the other two did not taste very nice. So I was very surprised to find that they were charging over 20 pounds for a bottle of what could only be described as 'vinegar'

2  Thank JanusLondon
Samantha L, Owner at Bolney Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Glad you found the tour interesting, though it's a shame that you didn't enjoy our wines. Each of the wines you tried is an award winner, picking up accolades in national and international competitions (UKVA, Decanter, IWSC). We are proud of all the wines we produce at Bolney and would refuse to serve them to guests if we weren't. My guess is that they were perhaps just not to your taste, we are sorry that you weren't able to enjoy them.

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

I've been here previously in 2012. However this time I treated my dad to a tasting tour.

You will not be disappointed visiting here.

Mike the guide is knowledgable, very amiable and encourages questions throughout.

Lovely start with background to English wine, walk around vines, visit to the storage/process buildings and finally the tasting!

Great value for money and such a beautiful setting for a lovely day out.

A must do trip!