“Another Good Stay, with Minor Hiccups....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Harefield, Middx
“Another Good Stay, with Minor Hiccups....”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I visited with my partner and youngest daughter from 31st March 'til 4th April and yet again he a good time.
We stayed in the Ocean Hotel this time, having stayed in the other hotels on previous trips.
I had stayed in this hotel on a weekend with girlfriends, so knew it was a lovely hotel.
We arrived at around 2pm, check in was easy with only a small queue and the Butlers who service this hotel were on hand should we have wanted them to take our luggage to our room.
Every member of staff on site is friendly and helpful.
The room was lovely - we had room 509 on the top floor. It is great to have a separate room within the room for the children. My only gripe with this one is that it doesn't have a door. I'm not sure why as they do in the other hotels. It's perhaps something that should be looked into by Butlins as one of the staff said we were not the only ones who were surprised by it.
The cleaners are excellent - they go above and beyond. The rooms are always spotless and nothing is too much trouble.
We ate around resort. We don't get the dining plan as I find it ridiculous to spend £50 - £60 a day for 3 of us. We take cereals for breakfast, perhaps have something around resort or in town for lunch - or a sandwich back in the room if we're close by, then dinner where we choose.
Our daughter is almost 9 so we normally eat a little later than the people with toddlers, however the hotel restaurants all shut at 8 so that's quite restrictive when you have older children. Turners open later, but as we had eaten there twice previously (both times amazing!), we fancied trying somewhere different.
We ended up eating in The Deck restaurant in the Wave Hotel. After looking at the menus, we felt this one would be much better for my daughter than the one in the Ocean hotel - purely because of food preference.
It was a lovely restaurant but as I suspected was very loud due to the amount of babies and toddlers being fed before bedtime. Of course it's not the parents fault - they have to feed their children! But perhaps this is another thing Butlins needs to look at. Perhaps quiet areas sectioned off, specific later eating nights, something to keep everyone happy.
My daughter loved the food, as did we. There was plenty, and you could go and have as much as you wanted. I'm not keen on queuing for food. Been there, done that, and am too old now to be doing it!
For this reason, and the noise levels, I would choose Turners every day over this restaurant.
We ate at The Beachcomber Inn a couple of times. Again, the staff are friendly and helpful, although on our second visit they forgot my partners meal. We didn't want to start ours until his came, so it was getting colder by the minute. His arrived and I heard the waiter saying something to him about it being hot, but didn't take much notice, and our daughter was colouring so was engrossed in that.
We all went to start our food and my daughter reached over to get her cutlery, and touched her hand on the side of her Dads plate. She pulled it back quickly and said it had burnt, starting to cry almost immediately. I looked and saw an angry red weal on the side of her hand, so took her to the toilets to run it under water.
While we were walking there, a waitress asked her what was wrong, as she was sobbing. I explained what happened and proceeded to take her into the toilet.
When we got back to our table I checked the temperature of his plate and it was scalding. It was obvious that his food had been stuck in the microwave to get it hot quickly. It was still hot when I piled the plates for them to be cleared. No one came to see how she was, whether it needed dressed etc. In fact, the staff were conspicuous in their absence! No one asked how our meal was (cold, by now!), as is normal in this restaurant. When our plates were eventually cleared, again the staff didn't make any conversation, just keeping his head down and running off with the plates.
I had applied Savlon to the burn, and luckily it didn't blister, but I was so angry I did go into guest relations the following day to speak to them about it not being put in an accident book, treated by staff etc.
They were lovely and the duty team leader came round to see me and offered us a free meal or drinks in the bar later. I declined this as we aren't big drinkers, and we had booked into The Deck for that evening. I didn't really want anything anyway - just for them to know what had gone on and hopefully follow procedure in future.
The pool is FREEZING! I couldn't use it at all, although my family braved it. I'm sure once you're in it's OK, but I couldn't even use the attached jacuzzi as it's the same water that is in the pool. I mentioned it to staff who said they would pop it in a comment book. It was so cold that my daughter didn't want to go to a special activity we'd booked later on in the week. We lost our £5, but she just didn't enjoy the pool.
Aside from that the rest of the week was nice and uneventful.
One tip is don't buy from Burger King. It was almost £25 for three meals - we could have sat and ate in somewhere nice for that!
The ice cream parlour is lovely, and could do with being extended.
The spa is amazing! I went for another 2 hour visit, then my partner brought my daughter up and we had a pedicure together in a little room. She felt very grown up! Children can't use the spa until they're 13 which is a shame, but there are a couple of things you can enjoy together if they're younger, so ask at the spa reception or give them a call.
It was a nice stay for us as a family. We chilled out and did what we wanted. The only things on that were age appropriate for my daughter were the Skyline Gang (she loves them), a science show she went to (additional charge), and the Scooby Doo show. We weren't too impressed, but then it wasn't aimed at us and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

All in all, if you want a lovely hotel in a place where you can be on the go all day or just take things at your own pace, then this is for you.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mimidl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Polish first
Carshalton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed in the deluxe accommodation from 4th-7th April, plenty of space for my MIL, DS1 (5 yrs) DS2 (2 yrs) and myself. We also travelled with my SIL, BIL and 2 nieces (6 and 3 yrs) who stayed next door. Accommodation was clean throughout and in good condition, we had an issue with the door lock being stiff but reported to customer service and it was dealt with straight away.

We had paid for premium dining and chose to eat at "the yacht club" which was a wise move. My DS1 is on a dairy free diet and I had contacted Butlins customer service regarding this. The head chef rang me back explaining that they have the sunflower spread and milk. Upon arrival the head chef came and spoke to me about the meal ingredients and made my DS1 fish in a special batter rather than the fish on the buffet containing dairy. A lovely lady called Theresa looked after my son's food needs all weekend (except on Sunday as she was off so a young man took over) between them they ensured there was freshly prepared pasta, pancakes at breakfast made from a suitable mix, soya ice cream and anything else my son could possibly want, the service was amazing, above and beyond anywhere else we have been. My DS1 also has a speech disorder so uses singalong to help to communicate, of which Theresa helped to teach the staff. It was lovely for me to not have to exclude my son from eating certain items, it was as easy as being at home but better as somebody else cooked and cleaned up.

The entertainment was great, the children loved the skyline gang. My DS1 is obsessed with Sprout so was over the moon to be chosen to join him to make a balloon. The circus workshop was good and well thought out, again children loved it. We also saw the pantomime which we all enjoyed.

Swimming pool was good with lots of activities to do, shame the big tube ride was closed but it has been for a while now. Makes for a more interesting swim session with the waves, slides etc.

The only downside was the toddler soft play area. The older side is supervised and no under 1m are allowed in. Unfortunately the toddler side is unsupervised, fine by me as I look after my children, however was extremely annoying and dangerous that older, much taller children were in there along with parents wrestling on the floor. Staff were aware and did nothing about it! After some nagging from other parents and myself a staff member braved them to ask to leave. Surely one member of staff could at least be at the entrance checking for heights. I don't mind older children with toddlers but that was ridiculous.

Overall we had a fantastic time and look forward to returning next year, in the meantime it will be day visits.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is out second time at butlins, returning after having such a fantastic time last year. Our break was going brilliantly until my 6 year old daughter hurt herself on resort. She was taken to first aid, where no paperwork was completed about the incident or injury. She then needed hospital treatment due to a)the injury and b) the treatment given by the first aider had actually aggravated the injury. Still no paperwork was completed. Finally after waiting at a&e for 4 hours we returned after midnight to resort and spoken to extremely rudely by a security guard!! Paperwork has only been filled in this morning after I pushed the matter (and this was then completed by me, despite it stating it needs to be completed by a staff member). Now to add insult to injury, I have emailed several addresses describing the situation, and providing photographic evidence of the injury and they have stated they will not correspond over email, only by letter! I am appalled! Not only have the last 2 days and nights of my holiday been ruined, and I'm out of pocket from travelling to hospital and back, but they also expect me to Now print off photos (I do not have a printer) and write a letter, despite having several email correspondences. I'm appalled at how poorly my daughter has been treated, bearing in mind the injury was caused by a piece of butlins equipment. Absolutely fuming!!

6 Thank Lilfunkychicken
west mids, UK
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Arrived at site a little early for check in but the security staff were friendly and explained why.

We were staying in the ocean hotel and were lucky enough to be able to check in at 12.15! check in was smooth and the girl on the desk was new. i have been to butlins many times and i think i knew more than her! the room itself was fine but the ocean is starting to show its age. it has had a lot of hard use from the customers and could do with a bit of an uplift. For example the 'silver' around the tap handles had worn off and it made them look dirty even though i know they were not.

As it was early in the season not all facilities were open or available. Not something I was made aware of when I made my booking. A couple of fair rides were broken and its only open until 4pm anyway!!! When its lighter nights i would have expected it to stay opena little later than this. It doesnt open until 10am so 6 hours a day and with a toddler who needs a nap it doesnt give much time to enjoy it. The helter Skelter was fab and got a big thumbs up from our group.

The swimming pool is fine for the facility but we were the first in for a toddler swim and it was clear the changing rooms had not been cleaned and they were ....well....minging. Dirty tissues, plasters, disposable cups on the floor. Yuck. It was warm enough in there and the showers were nice and hot.

The entertainment is non stop all day. As always it is very professional and enjoyable and well worth watching. However my son is a huge skyline gang fan and the same show was on 4 times in 4 days....really! he is 3 years old and even he knew the words by the end of the week. I must say that the skyline gang are fab and make time for all the kids, they never tire of the attention and dedmands from the kids. They also put so much energy into their shows its clear they enjoy their work.

Oh and where was the panto, despite it saying in the brochure 'available on every holiday' what you really mean is every holiday after easter. I will be complaining directly to Butlins about this.

The redcoats are also great and make sure everyone is having a good time. They really take time to talk to the kids and ask them about their day. Vicky was my sons favourite and she quickly learnt his name and shouted him to join in when he was being shy. These little touches meant that we really did get the most out our holiday.

We had half board and the food in the hotel was faultless. There was always plenty of choice, it was hot and very tasty. I must admit I tried 2-3 different puddings a night. My only negative would be that the bacon for breakfast was VERY fatty and salty.

I can honestly say that all of butlins staff are a credit to them as everyone I encountered was pleasant and helpful. They seem to understand that this is your holiday and want to make it special for you.

Overall it was an enjopyable holiday and I have booked to go again but I would like to see the Swimming pool kept cleaner, the fair opening hours extended and more variety with the entertainment. Apart from that you a practically perfect. Thanks for a great holiday

Room Tip: Stay in the hotels
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kezfiesta
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the shoreline hotel with my 2 children aged 6 and 4. Our room was fabulous, it was clean and the service was amazing. My children loved every minute. The staff including the restaurant staff were so supportive nothing was too much trouble. One thing that I would advise is that go with someone else as being a single parent and dealing with children on your own is tough. Toilets, different activities and in our case emergencies, it would help to have extra support. All in all an amazing time thank you.

1 Thank Susan K
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We visited Butlins Bognor Regis last week and are not surprised that there are mixed reviews on tripadvisor.

The hotel we stayed in was not without it's faults the reception staff were very nice to begin with but as soon as we required something for the room they were not very responsive.

The entertainment was fine however they seem to employ acts that spend far too much time loving themselves and looking in the mirror than working on their singing.

We must say that the thing that made our holiday special was the redcoats. They were all amazing. My children were particularly fond of Redcoat Adam. I have 3 children aged 5,6 and 11. Redcoat Adam was a huge part of their holiday and remembered each of their names as well as entertaining them with his fantastic humour and gift for customer interaction. On the final day adam introduced my children to billy bear as the promised them he would and made their day. He is a credit to Butlins as are a lot of the staff.

We will be returning to Butlins again in November simply because of the redcoats.

Well done keep up the good work.

2 Thank Gemmaanne1
Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Ok I'm going to admit this from the start I was threatened with a near death experience on the Saturday night if we didn't take the kids on holiday over the half term break starting on the Monday......we live in cornwall why do we need to go on holiday you may ask however apparently visiting the same beach for the last 8 years is apparently not cutting it and a change of scenery is called for!

Due to the fact I was looking at a serious arctic winter shoulder much internet emergency browsing ensued and finally mainly due to the terror of facing a damp and cold caravan ended up getting a bit of a bargain late booking 50% off a hotel at the well known Mediterranean hotspot known as "bognor butlins" and 4 of us visited over Easter....well kind of Easter it's two weeks to go but everyone has been urged to have compulsory fun/break early this year as the schools want the kids back still scoffing on half a ton of chocolate!!!our party comprised of me (age 39) the better half (age classified but a clue is 1 year nearer to 30 then me!) and two girls (10 & 6)

Firstly the good bits before you all stop reading this and think here we go another trip advisor moan by some miserable old bugger. The hotel was great (ocean) great sized room, balcony and sea view which incidentally we didn't pay the £45 to guarantee and just got lucky. The fair was great and not big queues so my oldest daughter took great delight in jumping off the dodgems and racing around to get str8 back on...she drove so often I'm debating whacking her in for her driving test but bearing in mind at 10 years old her insurance would probably be about half a million quid she might have to save a bit longer!!!

The evening entertainment was good in particular the circus de hilarity which was top class we did have trouble getting a seat so stood at the side by the bar whilst the kids sat on the dance floor so we were near the bar and the girls were near all the action...winner! Some of the evening entertainment can be hit and miss as the panto wasn't great but most of the music acts were good quality....the Robbie Williams tribute act might need a bit of a reality check though in the words of maroon 5 he may move like jagger but sings like my aunt megan :)

Now to a couple of the negative bits...the swimming pool is a bit of a disgrace, changing rooms are stinking and could do with a bit of a revamp and the pool itself was overcrowded and looked tired and dated....I suggest butlins could do with a timed (45min peak times) coloured armband system to limit numbers and maybe a dry in wet out system in the changing cubicles....both my girls love swimming so in past holidays it is quite a central part for us and this time has had to take a proper backseat.

Smells! Their are some real beauties in the skyline and main entertainment venue a kind of cross between damp and humming feet.....I put this down to the fact we are all far to healthy for our own good and the smoking ban has allowed it to happen as cigarettes used to mask the variety of delightful fragrances we used to be able to ignore!

Bognors central location has meant trips out have been good with a fun visit to gunwharf quay in Portsmouth for shopping, cinema and food and on a separate day a trip to the new forest to use our mountain bikes which we had the foresight to bring to butlins even though we left them strapped to the bike rack on the back of the car in the butlins complex as you can't really ride them about

and finally I'm happy to say due to the proximity of bognor to london the girls ended up getting the swim of their dreams in the end.....not at the butlins pool but from the trek up to london to use the London Olympic aquatic centre pool right on the Friday right after checkout.....maybe not the direct route home to sunny cornwall but an opportunity to good to miss!

so to summarise use bognor for the hotel and evening entertainment but don't feel as though you have to stay on the complex because quite frankly you would be driven insane over 5 days but use it as an opportunity to get out and about too :)

6 Thank Pitty1975
Selwood Lodge
Selwood Lodge
#9 of 9 in Bognor Regis
The Inglenook Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!