“Themed Weekends” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Themed Weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

A group of us stayed here for the 70s Disco Inferno weekend in November and opted to stay at the Shoreline hotel rather than in the Chalets. The rooms were modern clean and comfortable and the location of the Hotel is central to the resort so handy for the evenng and daytime entertainment and activity.

Although we were in a mixed age group ( early 20s - early 50s ) the entertainment and bars were suited to the whole party, there was a great atmosphere and a real mix of Friendly people .

A great break and the resort has come on leaps and bounds since my last stay in 2008. recommend this as a

Room Tip: we were on the top floor and that seemed preferable to the lower floors as there was less footfall a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LAM13ofBromleyKent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Polish first
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

As I child I went to butlins every year and then every couple of years in my teens and twenties. When we had our daughter I knew I wanted to carry on the tradition so we took her for the first time this year. She is 1&1/2 and we also took my 13yr old brother & my inlaws who were butlins virgins. Everybody loved it, my daughter had a fabulous time playing on all the rides, soft play, swimming. I also took her to the arts & crafts & cooking class which were all free. My inlaws were very impressed and could not believe the quality of the staff, facilities & entertainment. Considering there usual holidays are on cruise ships this was praise indeed, lol. As usual butlins had something for everyone to do and it still had the same magic for my daughter as it did for me as a child. We are going back this year with friends so I know that this year she will enjoy it even more with her best buddie in tow. Another bonus was that we were given a free upgrade on arrival from a 2 bed standard apartment to a 3 bed silver chalet so thank you butlins for making our stay even better!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Bernies Girl
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here in August with my children ages 14 & 7. There was so much to do. Stayed at the Ocean Hotel. Excellent rooms and service. Tried the Spa in the hotel and this was the icing on the cake for me as i got one hour free for staying in the Hotel and had a total of 3 wonderful hours there. Great small break with the kids and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

First things first. Butlins is mainly catered for families with younger children, due to entertainment. (12hrs of fun!). Would highly recommend staying in one of the hotels. We stayed in the Ocean hotel. We went with our toddler and friends with young children. We all had a great time, wasn't disappointed by anything. Service excellent, great choice of food (the Deck was our favourite), very clean hotel, great value for money. We have just booked again for this year.

Can't quite understand why so many people complain about the resort! If you're not looking for fun with the family, then look elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sta1981
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We booked to visit the wave hotel after getting a vey reasonable price for the Christmas fantasy winter wonderland. My husband and I have 3 children 22 months,3 and 5 months and 12 year old and had only ever visited butlins years ago for day visit. At the time the outside funfair was shut but we did know this before we left and it was also too cold and wet to use outside parks.

The wave hotel itself was great, very modern decor and good finishing touches. The hotel also has a games room free of charge to use which is full of iMacs, Nintendo wiis, xboxs ect. It had a member of staff in there in the evening and felt safe letting my son (12) go down on his own of an evening.

We stayed in the octopus room (double) and the children had their own room with bunk beds (12,3) the 22 month we took our own cot and slept in with us. I looked at the room on the 360 video on the butlins website and thought it looked great but in reality I thought it would be smaller..... However pleasantly surprised was actually more spacious as was the bathroom so that was good. As with most kids my younger 2 wake about 6am and don't think anywhere on the resort opened for breakfast before 8 so I took milk, bowls and cereals with me and washed them up in the sink. This was only because I couldn't expect them to wait 2 hours for breakfast. Maids in everyday cleaning, making/changing beds ect.

The skyline pavilion is 20 sec walk from hotel entrance. It's full of restaurants all reasonable prices and a spar on site for essentials.

There was soooo much on for the children we left our room at 8 and found things to do until 8/9pm. The pool is great my only criticism was it was very cold took my little one out after 40mins and didn't go back but my husband and other 2 children did and enjoyed it. There were slides the little ones could go on and they weren't as tame as I thought they would be which is a good thing for our daredevils!

The evening shows were ok, the staff work hard I thought my kids would love the beauty and the beast pantomime but got bored after 20mins so we left. However the dance show street life? I think it was called they enjoyed and sat there for longer.

Inside the skyline pavilion there were little rides and indoor play centre (bit manic) for the younger 2 again free of charge and the arcades, pool and darts kept my 12 year old busy. They also did shows in here for the little kids which mine loved.

I went with a perception that my 3 year old would benefit from this break more and the other two might not have enough to keep them entertained but I was wrong they all loved it and so much to do.

The staff at butlins are great I don't know how the management ensure all so friendly and dedicated to their they make the place even more special for the kids and put parents at ease! The only staff that was a bit grumpy was Santa himself perhaps not enough whiskey and mince pies that day!!!!!!!

In a nut shell, if the price was good again I would go but 3/4 nights is enough for us because we were all shattered when we left and needed to get home for a break.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ksouthey
Norwich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Went to the Ocean Hotel at Butlin's back in May 2012, on arrival we were greeted and hotel looked nice. We have been to Butlins at Skegness numerous times and have always had a great holiday.
After booking in 3 adults and 2 children, we went to have a look around at no time were we told that only Centre Stage was opened in the evening and not Reds. On going to look around we went into Centre stage and the smell hit us of sick and your feet stuck to the ground all tacky and sticky.
Staff were cleaning but it smelt terrible, we went back in the evening to watch the entertainment and yet again the smell hit you. Lots of families were complaining, on talking to staff we were told prior to our holiday there had been a adult weekend break, it was full capacity, and yes the smell was sick and the floor sticky with all the alcohol spilt. We complained to be fobbed off so we had no entertainment the whole holiday as I had a child with special needs who could not stand it but neither could we. One family sat there trying to see the show with their noses in bedded in their coats, we never returned. I wanted to post this now as May is soon upon us and so will the adult weekends, health and safety would of had a field day the bacteria that must of been in the carpets. I would never ever recommend this resort premier resort no way, Skegness all the way, Gold accommodation and premium dining. One thing that was good on resort was the pub and restaurant excellent service very clean, staff friendly, but this was the best bit. We could not wait to get home, on complaining to Butlins we got no where, that's why the new tv advert make me laugh we are here to help oh yeah NOT.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sarah C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Butlins Bognor Regis

Lets cut straight to the chase, if you have kids, if you want them entertained or out of your hair for a few days then this is the place to be.
If on the other hand noisy crowds, money eating slot machines and expensive eateries are not for you, keep clear. For me it was like entering into one of those places of torment you have to pass through on your way down to hell, hoping that you will in time get used to it and see the fun side. I did not and I don't.

We booked a self catering two bedroom apartment for three adults and one child for 4 nights at a cost of £836, a lot of money when at the same time we booked a one week all found, including drink Holliday in Egypt for for £500 but that's the way the world is right now.

The complex is neat and tidy, the accommodation outside is, we'll let's say dated! Inside it is adequate, good heating, seating and the beds are fine. I went into a couple of other and they are all much the same. Small amount of tea and milk provided so that's a plus after a four hour drive.

It's Christmas so we were looking forwards to a mixture of rest and partying. Our first day stated with a visit to the Ocean spa, this worked out to £19 per person, just two adults for two hours and was all that could be expected, a lovely break clean warm and welcoming with all the things you expect in a good quality spa.
In the evening we all ate in the Beachcomber pub, the fish and chips were a bit expensive at £10 but quite OK. We watched the evenings entertainment, a Lady Gaga tribute and a Take That, from my limited experience of both actual acts these were top notch, especially take that.

The highlight of Christmas Day was to have been the lunch, served in the Beachcomber which looked great, well decorated and staffed with very attentive waiters. The food however was of a different order.

The starters were we judged fine, there were seven of us making up our family group so we had the full variety on offer. The pata was especially good and the melon and fruit whilst small was just about adequate. After the soup which tasted as though from a packet though it probably was not, most of us went for the Turkey dinner, I am not a lover of this meat but as there was no other on offer I had to plum for this. I want to be fair in my criticism and all though this turned out to be the low point of the day I will say the food was as good as that in any mass catering environment. That's what I said at the table and was quickly disabused of this by our 12 year old girl who said her school dinners were much better and properly cooked.

Having eaten in many fine restraunts and also spent time in hotels both good bad and mostly indifferent I would liken the food to the mass catering in the indifferent category. I would have liked a hot plate, I would have liked the Turkey to have some semblance of being freshly carved from the just cooked bird. instead of straight from a tin, I would have liked to have the veg cooked with a bit of flair instead of being taken from steamer to serving dish and for the roast potatoes to have a little crispness. It should not be beyond the abilities of even a newly trained chef to know how to add seasoning, spice and taste to their food, you do not expect to have a meal that lacked everyone of these and you do not expect it in what is supposed to be the most important meal of the year.

And so you feel let down and it has to be said a little disappointed that one of the countries prime mass entertainment venues falls down on this important ingredient, they simply are not able to produce a good meal for a special occasion. Looking around I noticed that ours were not the only plates where the Turkey was still on the plates and where there was still veg in the serving dishes.

One of our party had the salmon en crout, it was dry and over cooked and once again under spiced. If I had to sum up the cooking I would say there was a total lack of love of the food being prepared, maybe the chef is not good, maybe they simply can't cater for large numbers or maybe they are cutting costs to such an extent that there is no possibility that even with the best will in the world it would not be possible to produce good wholesome food. We did not expect gourmet but we did expect at least as good as at home.
Butlins may come back and say they fed so many hundreds without complaint, that may be so and possibly for the same reason that we did not voice a complaint. It's a festival, we wanted a certain good feeling and did not want to disturb that feeling.
The most positive feeling came from the redcoats involved in the entertainment they worked hard and well and do a credit to the rest of the organisation.
To sum up, expensive, not up to modern day catering standards and not something we would recommend or repeat. Pity really, I had great hopes.

• Stayed December 2012
Comfort Inn Arundel
Comfort Inn Arundel
#6 of 7 in Arundel
Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!