“Malthouse”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
“Malthouse”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Well I found the food amazing, yet again! Ive been a few times here and never been disappointed! But something that really bothers me and my husband is the chef sits at the bar on his phone, I find it so unprofessional? When the rest of the restaurant is such high standard, he makes it look like he doesn't care.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank xoxchic

St Genies de Fontedit, France
“Lovely food”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Lovely food, great value for money and staff very attentive. Only down side was the place felt a bit like a cafe not a restaurant, having said that we would go back.

Stratford Upon Avon
“Good value”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

At one time this was, I recall, a tea house but is now a very welcoming restaurant.

My wife and I were visiting locally on Saturday and went in search of a late lunch in Felpham. We about to venture into The Old Barn pub for bulk standard 'pub grub' when we noticed the Mathouse was open. The restaurant is quite pleasant with a mature clientele, nice and quiet. The staff were friendly and it was apparent they knew some of the diners which was nice to see. I agree the experience and service was not the same as dining at a higher end restaurant but the relaxed atmosphere was very welcome.

To start I opted for lobster bisque laced with brandy which turned out to be very good, fresh and in a very generous portion. On the down side the staff must try and provide better quality and better prepared french bread as the basket I was given was dry and poorly presented.

As our main course we both opted for roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and fresh vegetables. The beef was well cooked and again in generous portions along with the freshly cooked vegetables. The only down side of the main course was the fact far to much gravy had been poured over the meat. It would be a better option to supply the gravy in a boat and let patrons decide. We were also provided with an optional small jar of cheese source which we did not use.

Overall, for a modest £9.95, the main course was very good value and well prepared.I would not hesitate returning to the Malthouse restaurant.

1 Thank GGW1
Bognor Regis
“A very nice first visit - we will be back!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We visited the Malthouse for the first time over the weekend and were not disappointed. Nice comfortable decor and cosy atmosphere. Service was friendly and prompt - a lovely Rioja available too. I enjoyed muscles in garlic and wine and then very tender liver with bacon. Very well cooked but slightly smaller portions than I would expect. Missed a nice creamy mash to go with it too. Nice profiteroles with different types of chocolate topped a very pleasant evening. Fellow diners enjoyed a nice "smokie" for starters and steaks were cooked well. Service was enthusiastic but a little inexperienced - an order of chips and fresh drinks was forgotten but soon delivered once prompted. All in all a nice place to eat locally - we will be back.

Chichester
“Bland and overpriced, not restaurant standard by a long mile!!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife booked here after reading great reviews here. Well I wish we had stayed at home. Bland and over-cooked food, in my opinion it's a place to avoid. Our food was barely edible, we left after deciding not to risk puddings. We are polite and paid, without leaving a tip to show our disapointment.
If you want good food eat elsewhere in Felpham or Bognor. I'm bemused at these good reviews here?!?! Repeat reviewers though, as I told my darling wife.

• Visited November 2013