“Visited again with trepidation”

Malthouse Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 169 Restaurants in Bognor Regis
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My second visit, expected to be dissapointed as I held it so highly the first time.
Another Sunday Roast but equally Ab Fab again. I think even better as my choice of pudding was better . . a black cherry roulade, delicious. The merangue was delightful, a little bit of crunch and a little bit of soft .A great Sunday Lunch.
As I'm only a weekend visitor I've yet to try the 'al a carte' menu. Somehow I think it will just as good.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'd lived in Felpham for over 10 years when I was younger & never even noticed the Malthouse. On a return visit to see family a few years back I spotted it & dismissed it as a "Pensioners special" type place, as seemingly many do due to the decor on the outside & the rather office like blinds in the windows. Don't be fooled like I was! On checking trip advisor I was surprised to see this place at number 2, had a look at the menu & decided that next time we were down we'd visit with my mum. So off we trooped, on a Saturday night, mum, hubby & me.
First thing to note is that they're open Lunchtime everyday except mondays but evenings only Thurs, Fri & Sat, it is wise to book as they do get very busy so perhaps the residents of Felpham are keeping this one a secret to themselves!
There was only one table occupied when we arrived but the place soon filled up until every table was taken. The atmosphere was very nice, gentle unobtrusive music playing & enough chatter to make it feel busy but not too loud. I can imagine it would feel a little weird if empty but then what restaurant wouldn't? Decor is also pleasant, though the office style blinds in the window are a little strange & could do with switching to something more restauranty.
For drinks my husband had a bottle of Peroni (No draft beer or lager, only bottles) & me & my mum shared a bottle of Pinot Grigio which was well priced & went down well.
For starters he had the crayfish cocktail with caviar & mum & I both had the Malthouse smokey, which was sort of like a creamy,cheesy chowder with bacon lardons & smoked haddock in it. The crayfish cocktail was lovely with an abundance of crayfish & we all tried a little of the caviar which I was surprised to discover I liked very much. The Malthouse smokey was absolutely delicious, the haddock pieces were large & plentiful & the bacon perfectly cooked, a real indulgence comfort dish.
Main courses were 2 slow cooked pork belly & I went for one of the specials, the most expensive thing on the menu (£23.95), which was a fillet steak & stilton wellington. The pork belly was amazing, especially the crackling which was perfect texture, crispy without breaking your teeth! (I know this as I managed to sneak a bit off mum's plate!) they both said the meat was perfectly cooked. My fillet & stilton wellington was delicious. Obviously home cooked & as far as I could tell freshly cooked for me too. The bit of fillet inside was perfectly cooked, just a tinge under medium rare. Word of advice in this case, I'm assuming because it was the wellington, they didn't ask how I wanted it cooked, that's fine by me I'll take it how the chef thinks is best, but if you do like your meat more cooked make sure you say so. The stilton was powerful without being too much & the pastry perfect. I'd happily go back for this dish alone & it was well worth every penny. Meals were accompanied by a dish of seasonal veggies, carrots, peas, broccoli & swede which were very well cooked, just on the edge of firm, & a dish of saute potatoes with little onion bits in which were also delicious (Not that I could manage much, that wellington was HUGE!).
Sadly they ran out of profiteroles for pud :( but I consoled myself with raspberries in port, which was lovely & light but very boozy, especially on the top of the wine we'd had! My husband had the chocolate crumble which was scrummy & not too heavy with a lovely shortbread crumble in it & they both had coffees.
Service was good & friendly, ok it's not silver service but decent enough & we even had a chat with the chef when he popped out to the bar for a drink.
Full cost for 3 starters, 3 mains, 2 puds & drinks was a hair over £100, for the quality of the food I consider that extremely good value.

Only tiny criticisms (& the only reasons they've not got 5 stars) would be that they really need to refurb the toilets which are not in a very good state at all & a greater range of coffees (we wanted espressos but regular filter coffee was all that was available) would end the meal nicely. However I'd rather have incredible food than nice loos & coffee & this was certainly incredible food.

I would definitely go back & definitely recommend it to others.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went to The Malthouse for Sunday Lunch and had a fantastic meal. The roast was lovely - a great choice in addition to the usual al a carte menu and specials. Dinner was decent portions with lots of boiled and roast potatoes and a big bowl of mixed vegetables. We had my toddler and 3 year old with us and while it is probably not the type of restaurant I would normally take them to, the staff couldn't have been better at welcoming us. The pudding menu was a great choice of classics and some twists - I went for the coconut, pineapple and malibu roulade which was amazing. Would definitely recommend, lovely food and great service.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We have been to the Malthouse now on several occasions and for that special meal look no further.
Excellent food that is well presented and with very friendly service.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have a friend in Middleton-on-Sea who kindly lets me stay. On my last visit, our past Sunday Lunch venue was reportedly 'not so good'. So a quick search revealed this hidden treasure!
Sunday Roast was Ab Fab, plenty of meat, a bowl of mostly roast but some boilied potatoes, a bowl of mixed veg, cauliflower, brocoli, carrots and chopped beans, and a jug of cheese sauce if required (I liked the option). All delivered far faster than expected, no complaints there. I asked for more gravy and it was there within a couple of minutes.
We weren't going to have a 'pud' but my friends eyes lit up up at the site of "three chocolate profiteroles" I obviously had to accompany her and had the lime/lemon ginger based pudding.(loved it!) Well, the pudding delivered, Three huge profiteroles each covered with a different coloured chocolate, but the verdict was : 'I ate it all as it was 'home made'!', It wasn't soggy, so freshly prepared.
Deffinately will visit again.