“Must try harder”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Must try harder”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Two not very cold cans of beer (no draught) at £3 so not a very good start,my girlfriend had ribs to start which were fatty,i had whitebait which though a large portion were overcooked. The mains were the best part,i had fillet steak which was good,cooked as id requested,my girlfriend had a chicken dish in a white sauce which she said was nice.I was full after my main but my partner wanted a pud and ordered pavlova which arrived frozen solid!! Said to waitress about it and sent it back and declined another one,just wanted bill at this point!!! £65 a little on the high side i feel,charging £3 for cans of rubbish beer is a joke,and £14.50 for cheap supermarket wine from a French run restaurant is laughable.Must try harder.

1 Thank Kevthemod

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“A Local Gem!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

As a fellow local businessman I understand the importance of supporting local businesses. Been here for a few nights out and 3 meals so far. Can say it is my favourite restaurant in Bognor by far, Everyone is very friendly, helpful and attentive. The chef has a great flair for superb food perfectly cooked and served. Fish and steak are out of this world here. Also portion sizes are very generous, a rarity when eating such good quality food. Would recommend to anyone whether it be a meal for 2 or a large dinner party. Don't miss out on the cocktails!!

• Visited July 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
“Well looked after”
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

On my own and not feeling great. Staff went out of their way to make me welcome and prepare something tasty I could be tempted to eat. We settled on deep-fried whitebait, which were delicious. pity I couldn't really do the meal justice. If I'm in Bognor again and in better form with some company, will go back for the works.

West sussex
“Full time YUMMY”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I came to smugglers with my mum and partner. Food was great. Not one fault which is amazing as we go out for food quite a lot and we love our restaurants. My mum. Can't stand fish with heads or anything so when she choose a dish that came with a full fish....they were great. They were more than happy to alter it. Drinks were lovely, maybe a bit weak for us but that's personal opinion. Atmosphere....great. Felt welcome straight away. Drinks at the bar then a perfect 3 course meal then more cocktails, can't get much better than that. Service was quick and all food was cooked really well. This is not just a great restaurant but a lovely place for a view casual drinks too. You won't get food or the service we got for the prices they offer........Fantastic.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Carla S
Tunbridge Wells
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Based on previous reviews maybe I expected too much from this restaurant. I can confirm the generous portions and expecting this, didn't have a starter and went straight for the main course, Sea Bass fillets with scallops. The Sea bass fillets arrived first and looked appetising served on greenery with a cream sauce. Strangely there were also grilled tomatoes on the plate, which I find odd with fish and particularly a creamy sauce, but maybe that's just me. The first mouthful of fish sadly contained bones (and not just one or two) which is usually a bad sign. The fillets came with the skin on but this was not crisp so had to be discarded. I ate on with care and sadly found the fish overcooked and a little chewy. The scallops arrived, slightly underdone which is how I like them, but being picky, with very little colour top and bottom for a pan fried scallop. The staff were very friendly and attentive and the service could not be faulted. However I did feel that over £20 for the above dish plus one bottle of beer, was a little on the high side for the dish as served. So, not all bad, and I don't like to condemn out of hand, we can all have a bad day, which is why I title it disappointing and class it as average. None of it was bad enough to make me feel I should complain and I do feel the potential is probably there so will try again at some point, maybe have a steak next time.

• Visited April 2012