The Public - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Sorry its closed...

It was a very entertaining venue, interactive for children. Now its closed, gone to the education... read more

Reviewed April 15, 2014
BaggieUK
UK
£72m Labour Council Vanity Project in a heavily deprived area, Now Closed

Reviewed November 20, 2013
Jambo83London
London

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 24, 2015

Was so disappointed with this place. Didn't really seem to have anything going on and its quite a big building, seemingly empty

Reviewed April 15, 2014

It was a very entertaining venue, interactive for children. Now its closed, gone to the education dept. Shame.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Public has now closed, and is being reopened as a sixth form college. It no longer a visitor attraction, if indeed attraction was ever the correct word.

1  Thank lynp53
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Not the nicest looking building, looks more like a sports centre, and when it was planned on the back of an envelope it is not surprising it spiralled over budget by £32m. Though what makes it worse is the fact that no one went for the art but rather the coffee shop and knitting groups, so it turned into the most expensive Community Centre in history.

The Labour Council of Sandwell should be held to account for this huge waste of public funds especially given the deprived status of the area. But I suppose you have to keep your voter base in place some how.

1  Thank Jambo83London
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have visited the public once before and am contemplating returning to take some photos on it's final day. Having just returned from New Zealand where I visited a place called Jester's House a similar quirky place to the Public but with so much more to offer: a stream with live eels to feed, a garden of quirky sculpture and lovely meals; accommodation for a romantic holiday in the shape of a giant shoe. I suspect the cost of Jester's House could have been as much as £500,000. The Public Cost £72 MILLION!!! That is obscene! No one is denying that it is a beautiful building in some respects but where, oh where is the value for money? and what benefit has been achieved for the people of West Bromwich. I am interested in Local History, fashion and music. I play the piano, I am a sort of photographer but I can see why this place is simply unaffordable. £30,000 a week to maintain , it's simply not a viable business and probably never was. Most of the activities run there could be and are done in schools around the Borough. You don't need a building costing £72 million to drink latte and for children to have the time of their lives. There are some visually appealing things there. I took my school class to Dudley Museum, Walsall Leather Museum, Himley Hall and even the Supermarket. I considered thePublic but there was not enough to do there, even for one afternoon! Sandwell Council have gained some common sense; the building has to be put to some good use. Maybe it could be turned into a residence for Special Needs Adults.

1  Thank Honest-John7
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was very much against this building because of the money spent on it and bringing technology, culture whatever to West Brom. It all seemed a disgusting waste.
However on someones recommendation I started going to the town for a walk and having a lattee and brown toasted rea cake while I people watched.
Heaven. I am so sad that it will close now because I also took my little great grandsons and they had the time of their lives followed by a full English breakfast.
Commiserations.

1  Thank Goatravellers
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I visited Public with a group of friends and we were very impressed with the Public. The building is very attractive from the outside and it is now well--situated in the New Square development. There was plenty going on inside, much of it aimed at children as it is half term week, but also much for us to enjoy. I didn't know about the visit of Malcolm X to Smethwick in 1965 and found the film fascinating, particularly the development of the Youth Parliament.
The café was very good value for lunch and plenty of visitors were taking advantage of it.
Well worth making the effort to see before it closes on 16th November

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I visited with three friends, average age well over 40 and we had great fun! We love the building, funky and friendly from outside and so much happening inside we didn't know where to start. Cafe also good and very reasonable. Great shame it has to go.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband myself and our 41/2 yr old grandaughter have just spent a lovely 2hrs at the public. Activities to keep all ages amused and Molly made the most of free puppet making and animation, grandad also helped!! Had lunch in the cafe and it was very good value for money! The cafe even made me jam sandwich for Molly! Can't complain at £9.35 for three sandwiches soft drink two coffees crips and cookie with apple and banana!! Meal deal 1st class. Best filter coffee had for long time and only £1. Molly had photos done and only£1 each and £5 for print on mug!, loved the picture strip on 3rd floor, and the kelidescope room!! Well done the public

Reviewed October 20, 2013

it's going, too little too late ..... I visited here at the end of September for the Cancer Wellbeing Fare & it was absolutely fantastic! So many people turned up to this event & gave their time. There was singing, & dancing, pampering sessions which included relaxation, make-up, hand & head massage, nails, then we tucked into the most delish buffet & there was so much to choose from, all done to spoil us - thanks so much you were all great!