“Avoid the Park Inn like the plague.”

Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Bromwich
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Stayed for one night at the weekend, and that was enough. Our room was not as bad as some reviews have reported, but the restaurant was awful. The Park Inn caters for coach parties. Imagine 53 people all arriving to dine at exactly the same time! It was self service and complete chaos. There were at least 3 coach parties in the weekend we stayed. Plates and glasses were dirty, food was very average. Staff were stressed and obviously unable to cope. If you are looking for a relaxing place to stay and enjoy, avoid the Park Inn like the plague.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed October 31, 2008

Hotel is situated on the roundabout of the A41/M5 Junction 1 about 4 miles west of Birmingham city centre and East of West Bromwich Town Centre. This hotel used to be the Moat House up until a few years ago.

The nearest Tram stops on Midland Metro are Kenrick Park or the Hawthorns (the latter is a 15 min trek though), and easy public transport access via routes 74/79 into the centre of Birmingham (roughly 30 mins).

The rooms themselves are on the smallish side, but they have been refurbished. Sony LCD screens on the wall, air conditioning, in room safe, tea and coffee facilities and an ironing board are to be found in the room.

Bathroom is petite but clean with a rainshower. The room itself was fine for a single person, but for two it would feel a bit claustrophobic.

Breakfast was a bit of a miss affair here, not the greatest hotel breakfast I have had, but adequate none the less.

The biggest complaint here is the noise. The hotel being quite large does get used by conferences, and boy can they be noisy waiting in the hallways if you were unlucky enough like I was to get a room next to the main hallway. Another peeve was the housekeeping staff making loads of noise shouting down corridors first thing in the morning. The 11am check out policy is also a bit stingy.

Overall okay its a three star hotel, so it gets three stars!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Spent one night here, as a stopover on the way down south.
Was a nice hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms (if a little small) and nice food.

The hotel supplied a cot for our 15 week old son, which was a travel cot, but it suited our needs fine!

The room was nice, with an LCD tv, with all the freeview channels, and ther bathroom was well equipped....the only downside was lack of bath, meaning we had to bath our baby in the sink!

Food was good, had room service (reasonable prices, lovely bacon burger, but limited choice) and breakfast was VERY nice.

All in all, had a good saty here!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank wideboyal1
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I have read through the reviews for this hotel and am suprised that noone else has mentioned that this hotel is difficult to locate.

got to the major roundabout and can see the hotel but not what exit to take. you have to take the exit before then come back on yourself and then take a slip raod!
Now it wasnt just me who found this difficult to locate, we had an assessment day and we started 45 minutes later as the candidates got lost also!

The hotel itself was nice, the rooms were decorated lovely, had sony flatscreen tvs, double bed, walk in shower etc. It wasnt the biggest room but as I was only there one night it didnt matter too much.

The carvery was beautiful, I had 2 plates. breakfast is good too, plenty of selection, cooked breakfast or fruit or cereals etc.

I can only rate this hotel on what I saw etc and not based on what I paid as I didnt pay for the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel quite a few times over the past year.

Most times we have been put in the refurbished part of the hotel which have slightly larger rooms than the other larger block of the hotel.These rooms(rooms310-326 and 410-426) are the best ones to ask for when taking a child with 2 adults as it has a bit more room for the folding bed .
We had to stay in one of the other rooms once,and if this had been our first time at the hotel,we would have been put off going again as it was scruffy & smaller .(These rooms are now being refurbished).
The leisure complex is very good and accessed from the hotel rooms by a maze of corridors.(I dont think we have gone the same route twice!).After signing in at the leisure reception,you are given a FREE towel each to use.The lockers need a returnable £1 coin.
There is a very inviting and decent size pool with a shallower section for children.There is also a spa pool,sauna and steam room.It is nice to watch the wildlife outside via the full length glass windows while having a swim.
The leisure centre also has a good gym .All these facilities are free to hotel guests.
There is ample free parking in the large car park.On match days ,the fans are charged £5 parking fee,so tell the steward you are staying overnight when asked for payment at the barriers!.
The Hotel Bar is now shabby & in need of a complete overhaul.Needs to be made so that you can see around the room & converse easily with others,rather than the bar in one part with a couple of tables,and then tables in the next part which have wooden panels with points etc for laptops.This makes it almost impossible to strike up a conversation with others as you cant see over the panels while sitting.
The staff are all very friendly .The buffet breakfast is good with hot cooked breakfast,cereals,yoghurt,fruit,cheese,toast,danish pastries plus more.Drinks include juices,tea,coffee,chocolate etc. and you can get as much as you want.(they also do room service breakfast but we have never tried this).
We stay often when going to watch a football match.The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the West Bromwich Football Ground and 20 minutes walk to the Metro station.(only costs £4 return to Birmingham for 2 adults & 1 child on metro).
The hotel bar is used by local and away fans before matches and there is always a friendly & lively atmosphere on these occasions!
We would recommend a short stay at this hotel when visiting the area and as it is situated next to the M5 motorway,is easily accessed.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank StaffordJas
Reviewed November 14, 2007

The bed rooms were very dated, the wall paper badly needs changing and so are the window curtains. I hated every moment of it.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toniStafford
Reviewed September 19, 2007

In fairness this is very much a hotel in two parts, the refurbished area and ‘the rest’. All my experiences were in ‘the rest’ and this currently comprises most of the hotel. I’m struggling to start with just how bad this hotel stay was, but you may get an idea when I say that I spend about 4 nights a month away, with some longer stays in between. In all my years of business travel (which includes a spell in the Former Soviet Union about 18 months after Glasnost) I can’t bring to mind a more dismal, dreary or dirty set of premises.

Background

I’m part of a team working nationally but based in London. The need arose for a meeting of all team members at pretty short notice in a central location. My colleague and I arrived late in the evening by which time the rest of the team had exhausted the options of different rooms etc and we were in a position of no real alternative.

Bedroom

I suppose that walking down into a corridor with a carpet covered in builder’s, dents in plaster work and filthy wall should have gone some way to preparing me for my room. But it didn’t. My room stank- I used half a tin of deodorant to try and make it half pleasant. This spraying also helped me to establish which of the pretty large spiders on the walls needed killing or just tidying up. The wallpaper was dirty- but at least at some point someone had cared enough to cut out the worst patches and replace them with similar paper.

The ‘contiboard’ bath side panel had split with damp over the years and chrome fittings were rusted. I daren’t even look at the state of the mattress but tried sleeping on top of the, admittedly clean, covers until I got too cold and gave in to fatigue.

To cap it all I went to breakfast and on returning to get dressed, despite the fact that I had left my toiletries in the bathroom and clothes out to pack, the room had been made up for the next guest. Thus I had to use their towel to wash my hands after using the facilities,. OK for me but had the previous occupant used my towels????

On the plus side if you like mid 80’s utilitarian hotel furniture you’ll be in heaven.

Public areas

Where do I start? The ripped billiard table or the grimy mirror behind the bar could be signposts to the atmosphere but it was the chairs with so much ground in dirt that the arms have developed that graphite grey sheen that did it for me. Not having had chance to shower before we went out to eat (colleagues arriving later ate at the hotel which they described as dismal but I can’t vouch for that) I was worried that I was smelling a little ripe after a long day but pretty soon realised that it was my chair giving off the unwashed sweaty odour.
On the plus side my lager was cold and relatively cheap- but my colleague had to return her wine glass having found someone else’s lipstick on the rim. Fortunately the bar staff replenished her glass promptly, even placing the dirty glass next to her new one and pouring out the exact amount she had left in it making sure she received exactly the amount she had paid for (and not a single drop more).

Breakfast

By this time I’d decided that the safest option was weetabix (in a sealed packet) and fruit (straight from a tin) with a sealed pot of yoghurt was going to be the safest option. This was probably the right move as the scrambled egg had a thick crust on it.

At least some of the hairs appeared to be fairly new but it wasn’t too hard to find one with graphite grime on if you wanted.

Conference room

As stated above we all knew one another and what we were doing; as such the dirty wallpaper, stained ceilings and grubby carpet weren’t too much of a concern. Had it been a meeting designed to impress potential clients we’d have been stuffed. However it was cheap, central and located near the motorway. As such it fitted the bill.

Staff

This hotel’s greatest asset is its staff. Despite to the amount of complaints they must get a sense of corporate loyalty exists without patronising customers at al. I can’t speak too highly of the reception staff on the night of our arrival. I wish I could recruit staff of their calibre.

In short if price and location are your drivers then it could be for you, if not wait for the refurbishment to finish and, in the meantime, find a Travelodge.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West? Share your experiences!