“A good hotel but let down by staff”

Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Bromwich
Portlaoise, Ireland
“A good hotel but let down by staff”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were in the predicament of not having booked anywhere as we weren't expecting to have to stay anywhere overnight. We were on our way to Holyhead from Hampshire but had to stop overnight for health reasons. We found the Park Inn by chance and thought how fortunate we were as everywhere else was fully booked.

OK here we go! The male receptionist was very condescending (perhaps we looked tired and dishevelled - as we were!) The room cost £94 including breakfast which we expected to be good. The room itself was very clean apart from the carpet which seemed to have mud stains on it. The shower was great although the pressure could have been better - very clean though. I found the towels didn't have great drying ability probably due to fabric conditioner. The bed was really comfortable although only one pillow. if anyone stays there be sure to ask for extras. We also found the room was very quiet as it was situated at the back of the hotel on the 4th floor.

Now to the breakfast:
We waited to be seated - as requested - and waited - and waited. Eventually a small blonde lady who appeared to be in charge came over to us sighing and puffing and rushing about. I have to say both my husband and I felt as if we were inconveniencing her by asking to be seated. She waved her arms around muttering where various items could be found in such a rapid way that we didn't hear half of what she was saying. Obviously when you say the same thing time after time it gets monotonous but I feel you should treat everyone as individuals. Although it was 9.00am and breakfast was being served until 10.00am, there was very little left - a few crusts of bread, very few slices for toast and we had to ask for more eggs and for more mushrooms as those serving dishes were empty. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between guests and waiting staff and the whole thing was like a circus - a dirty one at that.

Neither my husband or I would bother staying there again because, although the room was very good we both felt the staff let the hotel down - apart from the morning we left, the lady receptionist was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel would appear to be quieter and certainly the highe the floor the better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue627
Peter_Sivy, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write about Park Inn Birmingham West. I was dissapointed to hear about your experience with our breakfast service. Thank you for your candid feedback, I will discuss these training issues and poor breakfast buffet selection with our Operations Manager and Head Chef and we will make necessary adjustments to our processes. I am glad you were happy with your room and reception service and I do hope you will be back next time you are visiting the area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist you in any other way, best regards Peter Sivy peter.sivy@rezidorparkinn.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I chose this hotel as it was close to the venue of a party I was attending. I booked via booking.com and paid £48 for a standard room - room only no breakfast. Finding the hotel is a bit difficult if you’re using a sat-nav, but there are signs to it as you come off the motorway. Check-in was swift and as the receptionist knew I was in a rush, she didn’t charge my card she simply did a pre-authorisation with it to ensure that we were able to get to the room and get ready as soon as possible.

For a hotel by the Radisson group, I was surprised at how small (or as my friend described it – cosy) it was. It was however, extremely clean so no faults there.
The bed was a bit on the small side – and certainly would have been too small if the person staying in it was very tall! (I’d go so far to say it seemed slightly smaller than a standard double bed). However, it was comfortable which is the most important thing! The pillows were not so comfortable – we made a mistake of not asking for extra pillows so if you stay here….make sure you do! There is the usual tea / coffee facilities, a tv and an iron which would be expected from a hotel.

The bathroom was small but again, clean. The shower itself was strange! Both of us who were staying in the room (and actually everyone else I spoke to after) felt as if we hadn’t had a “proper” shower even though we had had a shower! The water pressure was concentrated in the centre of the shower head and the water pressure on the outside of the head was very weak. I don't know if we just got unlucky, but ladies – if you want to shower without getting your hair wet, you have to do some strange manoeuvres to shower and keep your hair dry!! You are given the biggest fluffiest towels I had ever seen…however, when we used these towels, we were left with towel fluff all over us!

The room was fine for a one night stopover. As the room is quite small, if it had been more than one (or possibly 2) nights, it may have got claustrophobic, but it was fine for what we paid for it- if we had paid more than say £50-60 for the standard room without breakfast I would not have been impressed!

If we had wanted breakfast we could have told the reception the night before and it would have been an extra £10 pp, but if you decide in the morning you want breakfast, I think it is £13-£15pp. I can’t comment on the quality of breakfast as I didn’t eat it. Drinks in the bar are reasonably priced for a hotel and those of you who like to watch the football…there’s a big enough screen! It is extremely close to West Brom Albion football ground so an ideal location if you’re going to watch a match there.

The main negative point about the hotel is that the walls are extremely thin – we (and most of the others who were staying there after the party) were woken up by people walking past talking very loudly and doors slamming. After you fall asleep at 3am, you do not expect to be woken up at 6am by the sound of people talking about whether they are on time or not!! The cleaners were also quite loud and were shouting at each other across the hall way about their various cleaning duties. If you are going to stay here and you’re a light sleeper, take ear plugs!!

Just a small tip - Upon checking out, as my card had only had a pre-authorisation done, I was required to pay for it in full. Bear this in mind if you are booking with booking.com – you will be required to put in your bank details on the website, this holds the room but does not charge you - You actually pay at the hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear honestreviewer83,
Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry to hear you thought your room was small. We do have larger rooms available and for longer stays we aim to accommodate our guests in larger rooms. I hope you will be back soon and thank you again for sharing your views with our future guests. Do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance. Best Regards Peter Sivy
peter.sivy@rezidorparkinn.com
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the park inn for weekend and had a great time. Staff very helpful, couldn't do enough to help you. Anything you requested was catered to. At breakfast partner wanted fried egg not scrambled, waitress overhead and said she would get us some and did. Extra tea was brought out before we needed it. Receptionist always asked how we were and did we need anything else. Room was very comfortable and clean. Cleaning staff offered us everything as didn't want room cleaning but refilled and given extra tea, coffee and towels.
Pool, steam room and sauna was great, we had lovely afternoon there. Very relaxing weekend, just what we wanted and value for money is excellent.
We've paid for 4* hotels with spa and complained. This wasn't as luxurious but had everything you needed for great weekend.
100% will visit again, thank you to staff. I normally complain if things arnt right, no need to here (I'm difficult to please as well).

• Stayed September 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you will be back soon. Thank you again for sharing your views. Best Regards Peter Sivy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It's only just yet another hotel really, but they've got everything right. Efficient booking in, friendly staff, VERY clean room, nice bathroom/shower etc, good breakfast. I'd certainly stay again.
Finding it wasn't 100% simple - quite well signposted but to get there you have to take several turnings in the backstreets - just so you know!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JinnyJones1982232a
Peter_Sivy, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service was spot on. I hope you will be back soon and thank you again for sharing your views with our future guests. Best Regards Peter Sivy
Reviewed September 14, 2012

we stayed here for work, after doing a 12 hour shift and lots of travelling we were exhausted to say the least. The staff we lovely on arrival very welcoming even asked us about our work.
First thing we did was have breakfast after our 12 hour shift we were starving (worked nights) it was buffet so you could chose anything. It was lovely but a little cold.
There was three of us who traveled together our rooms were close so that was handy. The tea and coffee table was handy only thing i would say is that there wasn't enough milk but is easily requested for.
We worked nights and the last we wanted was the curtains to be cheap and let all the sun in, they were blackout blinds so even in the day with the curtains closed and lights turned off it was dark so that's good. Hair dryer suppiled, and plenty of towels. The room was small but with us being there for business it didn't bother us at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
middlesbrough
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed 1 night at this hotel in August 2012 as part of a national holidays 2 day trip. We made up a party of 6 myself and 2 daughters and my sister and her 2 children.
The arrival/reception was quick and organised being despatched to room quickly, although as a joint booking in my name thought we would get adjoining rooms, this however was not so, we were on 3rd floor my sister on lower ground, which was a shame but for 1 night was not worth complaining about, this was the only negative about this hotel, The rooms were clean, the showers nice, the beds fine. I was a bit worried about the food and restaurant, but we got a nice table that we could all 6 of us share, I also suffer from Coeliac disease so was a bit worried about the buffet, but did not need to worry, the head chef came to speak to me personally and informed me about all the food i could eat , he even offered to make seperate chips from those on the buffet which contained gluten. I was very pleasantly surprised, some of the more expensive hotels dont even offer this, Thank you. As I say cannot fault our nights stay, and when we return to Birmingham would definately use again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lynn h
UK
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed as we were at a family party in the area and the location was perfect for this. Wasn't expecting much from the exterior, but was pleasantly surprised by the service and atmosphere from a great team of staff for whom nothing seemed too much trouble.
Great club sandwich in the bar for 7.50 and breakfast was hot and plentiful.
Only downside was the rather odd shaped pillows!

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bromwich
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West? Share your experiences!