“Friendly but a dirty and dated.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roman Way Hotel

Roman Way Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hatherton
“Friendly but a dirty and dated.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Staff were very nice and can't be faulted. Car parking was easy too and the location easy to find. However the pretty dirty dated rooms let the place down. Overall, I'd probably stay in the Premier Inn over the road next time.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Rugeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Stopped last night for an outing. I'd booked it though hotels.com for £47 we had some food and came to pay this morning trying to charge me £70+ for the room and food. (We had two burgers totalling about £13).

They'd tried charging 56 for the room even though I had confirmation at 47.

Overall rooms were good, spacious and the beds eat you up - they're so comfortable. Plenty of channels on television if that's you fancy. Bathrooms were clean also. However the bath itself is quite small .

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Not bad, stayed here a few times on business and one of the cheapest room rates I could find. Staff seemed very nice, room was outdated but tidy, bit warm in the room with no temperature control, bathroom presentable and clean and TV was modern with plenty of channels. No WiFi in the room, some places you may find a BT OpenZone but not here, not sure whether the hotel reception had one (presumably) but I used my personal hotspot anyway.

Most important thing is it seems clean apart from the dirty seats in the room, but I wasn't sitting in them so I didn't particularly care (could do with a sponge bath!!). Beds are a tad uncomfy. Lack of electrical sockets by the bed to put phone/laptop on charge (other side of the room) - some would call me lazy.

I haven't eaten here this time but have previously and the food wasn't bad if not a bit slow to arrive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

As a rep for a large company I put people into hotels when visiting this area
Over the years have used the Roman Way with no complaints.
However recently I am being told please dont put us in there again.
Service has deteriated, I am told breakfast is not up to standard.
Rooms too hot with no control over temperature
I believe it has been bought out, maybe new owners will be spending some money on the place.
Hope so as it used to be good

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Graham S

Travelers are raving about these Hatherton hotels

Henlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

For a one night stay my room at the Roman Way Hotel was perfectly adequate as the room was a good size with nice comfy bed and modern clean bathroom. It was let down by it's lack of sound insulation between rooms as I could hear snoring from one room and was woken by a child crying from another.

My biggest annoyance was that I had a knock on the door from housekeeping as I was packing up to leave. I just don't understand as it's not difficult to wait until guests have checked out before coming in to service the room! It made me feel rushed (this was only 9am) and then at reception, a mere 5 mins later, the receptionist was too busy getting her own breakfast to deal with me.

I wouldn't choose to stay here again - I'd probably book the Premier Inn instead.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fluffievelluto
South Coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Well, this was recommended to me by a colleague who had stayed here lots of the years.

The rooms are tired and need modernising, my room smelt of stale smoke and harsh old persons air freshened.

Surprisingly the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom whilst not being the cleanest in the world had a very powerful shower, which was wonderful.

The walls are quite thin and you could here a lot if noise from the adjourning rooms.

The menu was ok, nothing amazing and the service was mediocre.

The wifi is chargeable which is disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Twink_Toes_77
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions on business over the years, as it is a great location being right on the A5 and close to the M6. Sadly, time hasn't been kind and the rooms are becoming dingy and in dire need of modernisation; the hallways to the rooms make you feel like you're walking through prison, so this kind of sets the scene before you even get to the room.

I have only eaten breakfast here as there is a Beefeater restaurant across the road. Breakfast has always been very good and cooked to order, so I'd like to think that you could expect the same with evening meals.

On another positive note, I was checked in by a freindly receptionist who had a pretty good handle on local amenities, which I do find rare in hotels these days. I was struggling to find diesel as the garage across the road had run out and she was able to direct me to several alternatives nearby. I found the same freindlyness with the other staff I met who all appeared to be locals.

I will continue staying here as the need arises as I like its location, it's reasonably cheap and the Ramada down the road is truely awful!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BoyFromEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatherton
Oak Farm Hotel
Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge

Been to Roman Way Hotel? Share your experiences!