“Nice location for shopping and by canalside and near to other attractions”

Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brierley Hill
Bracknell Englan
“Nice location for shopping and by canalside and near to other attractions”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We went on a coach trip to Stratford on Avon and the Ludlow medieval fayre both of which were great for Christmas shopping and lovely locations. We stayed at copthorne merry hill overnight and had B and B. Nice location overlooking canal basin. Had a meal in restaurant, I had prawn cocktail and beef madras curry both of which were excellent. Restaurant had strange cherubs and sky for decor, bit random, I thought it looked unfinished. Service in restaurant at dinner and breakfast very pleasant staff but a bit slow. Had to wait ages for coffee! Room large and bathroom good but decor and furnishings shabby and dated. Time for a refurb! I think we had a good value we didn't pay much through the travel agent. No free wifi. No biscuits. You could upgrade for £25 per night, but a bit penny pinching to pay for wifi and biscuits! It is a four star hotel only 3 stars really! Restaurant staff need professional guidance on managing dining room. I am a picky customer I know, they were only doing their best and were young and pleasant but needed a hand with learning about service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Rencat22

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience. I was delighted to read your comments regarding the quality of the food, though a little disappointed to see that you had found the service a little lacking! Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

I am delighted to update you that we are upgrading the restaurant, starting with new furniture which will be installed mid December.

Matt Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have been to Faraday's three times this year - it is the hotel restaurant at the Copthorne - each time has been fantastic, food and service second to none. It has that far away feel like you are in another country really, you don't feel like its in the Midlands! The al a carte menu has something for everyone and the wine list is brilliant, their house wine only about £20 which is reasonable for a hotel - last week I had smoked haddock with a lightly poached egg on a bed of spring greens - superb! The Waldorf salad to start was brilliant also. Our waitress was once again the lovely Justine who is such an asset to the hotel, she is so friendly and efficient - cannot fault her! Also, they were really busy with two large parties but that did not detract from the service we got - we will never tire of our visits to this restaurant - if it wasn't so close to home I would be tempted to stay overnight as the rooms are probably excellent - well done to the manager and all his staff for keeping high standards and good service.

Room Tip: Sorry - as stated, we live close to the hotel so only visit for dinner, but I am sure the staff will...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear StephR3

Thank you so much for offering your feedback following your most recent visit to the restaurant. We are extremely blessed to work with some great people, Justene being one of them whom we receive much feedback about.

We look forwards to welcoming you again soon

Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

As you enter the Hotel you notice how clean the hotel is. Our room comfortable and clean, the food very good, and above all the staff were excellent. We definitely recommend the Copthorne to anyone. 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Club room higher floors better
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear William R

Thank you for your recent review and kind words. It is very much appreciated.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this excellent hotel for the third time from 30th October to 2nd November recently and were not disappointed. The hotel and its staff were better than ever. The food was also to a high standard and the room we stayed in was spacious and very relaxing.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel..it is also only 5 minutes walk from the Merry Hill Centre!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DavidEllis13

I was delighted to read that you and your wife had enjoyed your recent stay with us. thank you so much for your kind words regarding the facilities and service offered.

We hope to welcome you again soon

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

When we arrived the small car park out front was full so we had to park in an overflow car park around the corner, not terrible but the signage to the car park wasn't clear so we had to run in to reception to make sure where it was.

Check in took longer than it should have as the one person checking in was constantly being interrupted by another member of staff doing some kind of cashing up. In my opinion anyone stood waiting to be checked in takes priority.

Our room was nice, clean and spacious. Although we didn't have the cot I'd requested that was resolved very quickly by a lovely lady from housekeeping.

The Welcome Pack was a terrible reflection on the hotel, poorly photocopied pages in an cheap A4 binder, I've seen much better in a cheap B&B. The bathroom had great mirrors for putting your make up on and there was a spare table, chairs, plenty of hanging room in the wardrobe.

As we were staying with our tuckered out 1 year old we decided to order room service but couldn't get through on the number given in the 'welcome pack' or on the number printed on the phone so we asked reception who got them to call us. It was a Saturday night but I thought it bad business as we were on the verge of going out to dinner (although our baby son was exhausted we needed to eat) when they called back. We had a similar problem getting through to reception the next morning so I just ended up going downstairs.

The food came relatively quickly and was well presented. It wasn't too bad at all, I had something called a Heidi Pie which was tasty as was the apple pie although it had raisins in which my other half hated I enjoyed it.

Our room was on the third floor to the right hand side of the hotel so was subject to a little loud music (not too bad if you kept the window closed) I think from a function in the hotel and it went on until after midnight which was annoying more than anything, not loud enough to keep any of us awake.

Breakfast was fairly good with a wide range of hot and cold options served in a nice dining room. Plenty of staff on hand to keep food and drink topped up and worth noting that the pastries were better than in allot of hotels I've stayed in. The fruit juices were concentrated which for me made them far too sweet so I watered them down but that was my only criticism of breakfast.

After breakfast we made use of the pool and a cheeky late check out and took our son for a swim which was enjoyed by all. The facilities were a little dated but totally fine apart from one stained towel which I just swapped it was a lovely start to the day.

Overall it was an ok stay but the noise was annoying. Oh and no free wi-fi (so eighties by the way) means as someone who relies on her laptop and phone I would never stay there more than one night which is a real shame as it's ideally located and apart from the odd niggle is a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Check if there is a function on as you may want rooms on the other side of the hotel away from the n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear RaeSteve

Thank you for your review and kind words regarding the cleanliness and food service and quality. I was sorry to read that you had encountered a couple of issues (noise & cot), please accept my sincere apologies for this.

The interuptions by a colleague during your arrival is not acceptable. I can assure you that this has sincer been discussed with the appropriate colleagues.

I can also update you that our Head Housekeeper is in the process of updating all of our welcome packs, a task she hopes to complete this coming week.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I don't like giving negative reviews, so I won't but.... there are a few points I need to mention. We booked a Spa treatment through WIGIG (voucher type system) was only £10, for a 15 minute treatment. I had a back, neck and shoulder massage, as did my friend and it was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The relaxation area is pretty non existent, plastic chairs and tables. The changing facilities need an update, rusty shower areas. Only 1 working hair drying, no electric points for hair straighteners. Swimming pool, Sauna and steam room were satisfactory, but lack of seating around the pool, only about 5 plastic chairs and 2 or 3 relaxers. Staff very friendly and helpful, just a general feel of old and needing updating.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear JJ123456789

Thank you for your recent post, though I was sorry to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your experience at the hotel and particularly your spa experience.

This year we have invested in several areas to enhance the offer, such as poolside decoration, new steam room, gym and studio decoration etc.

In addition we have some new equipment arriving for the gym area that will be with us late December.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the service and treatments you received as these are areas that we do pride ourselves on.

We do hope you will come back again soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a stopover.
The hotel is right next to the Merry Hill shopping centre. There was plenty of car parking available and hotel has a nice entrance. Reception is big, spacious area, and the receptionist was very friendly and quick to check us in.
Our room was on the 4th floor, a really big room - with great views out over the canal. The room was clean, with everything we needed (except biscuits), bathroom was nice with a great powerful shower. Bed was big and comfortable and was very impressed with the room.
We used pool and leisure facilities twice during our stay - and again were very impressed. Jacuzzi was nice, good sized pool, and great steam room and sauna.
We didn't eat whilst at hotel so can't comment on food.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, we couldn't have been happier with it.

Dear Gareth P

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience by posting a review. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brierley Hill
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dudley

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!