“Freezing Cold Pool”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brierley Hill
derbyshire
“Freezing Cold Pool”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The room was very tired, but grand. Swimming pool almost too cold to swim in. Staff very friendly but room wasnt ready on arrival and ask alfred had to be put into room quickly whilst we waited, free booklet wasnt with the pack, when asked got a photocopy! Told tickets posted never arrived said posted again never arrived had to ollect from the hotel on the day wasnt a problem because very near to Dudley Zoo, this was a Groupon deal. Very hot in the room with restriction on window and no air con. I suppose the price reflected the hotel. Staff at reception on arrival very kind and helpful. Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear KatherineDerbyshire

Thank you for your kind words reagrding the staff and breakfast offer in your recent post. I was disappointed to read that you had experienced a couple of other issues whilst with us and with gaining your zoo passes. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

The pool temperature is regulated at a temperature slightly higher than public swimming baths so I am supprised by your comment, though if I knew the date of your stay would be happy to review our records.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again

Matt Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked a double room as we were attending a family wedding. The reception staff were very helpful and polite. The whole day was great! All staff involved for the wedding were brilliant, the flow of the day was perfect. The double room was clean, tidy and bed was very comfortable. The self serve breakfast was lovely, again greeted by friendly polite staff that showed us to our tables. We have stayed here before and was pleased, and this stay was equally as good.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Tina B

I was delighted to read your recent review and see that you had enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for sharinging your experience.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel has not had very good views but we found it ecellent. Good location, superb rooms and wonderful breakfast. The staff were very helpful. The only thing bad was the telvision was not an up to date one, but even so it still did the job. Ecellent.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Anne C

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your time with us. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you again soon.

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked in for one night. My room 120 was a mini suite and looked very promising as a good value business rate room. I was worried that the noisy extraction fan I could hear maybe a problem, but felt it may die down when I returned from my night out. I arrived back at 10.40 and tried to settle down, but the noise was too loud and after 2 hours of trying to sleep I called reception who were excellent and along with the night porter transferred me to a spare room down the corridor. Both the receptionist and night porter were exceptionally helpful. I was told I could sleep in the new room and leave my stuff in the noisy room, but I decided it would be easier to relocate even though it was about 1am. The new room was a disabled room, which was fine and I slept very well in peace. I think anyone would find it very hard to sleep in room 120 or any near to it as the noise from the fan was excessive and I would be very surprised if no one had complained before about this. All credit to the receptionist and the night porter, but I could of done without the hassle as I was tired in need of good nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear DerbyshireJames

Thank you so much for your review and kind words regarding the service you recieved, though I was sorry to read of the impact on your comfort caused by the noise. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

Please feel free to contact me when returning to the area and I will be able to allocate a room accordingly.

In addition the interuption will be investigated with our property mainteneance team.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I had to find temporary accommodation in the interim whilst moving house locally. We considered renting a property short term but they all required a minimum of a 6 months contract. We anticipated it would be only for 4-5 weeks. Although we have stayed many times over the last 15 years at functions we were anxious about it all and after talking to The Copthorne we decided to stay. I have to say that we were very apprehensive.....but we need not have worried in the slightest.

The staff were extremely helpful and always courteous and nothing was too much trouble. The room was fine and clean but as other reviews state they can be warm as there is no aircon. The Health club is excellent and very clean and was never overcrowded.

I agree it is a little hit and miss at times in the bar and restaurant but the foot fall was so unpredictable and it must be a supervisors nightmare to try and predict staffing levels. The one saving grace was that the staff worked great as a team and everyone got stuck in at busy times. Overall the food was good although a little on the high price side, and I think we detected a change of chef during our stay which resulted in a small noticeable change sadly.

As with most 20+ year old hotels in the region it is time for a refit but understandably in these these austere times the board must be cautious and only do the essentials and remedial work as and when required until the economy and confidence picks up.

Yes, it would be nice to air conditioning and plusher carpets (I think the rates would go up though) but the hotel is immaculately clean, convenient to local amenities (not that I am a shopper) and the staff friendly and helpful. Housekeeping could not do enough for us, they made us feel at home.
Thank you all for an excellent stay which extended to 9 weeks.

PS. The Black Country breakfasts are wonderful......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Whats_The_Fuss

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to be able to make you feel at home whilst you waited to move in.

Be sure to pop in from time to time

Black Country, UK
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Clean large comfortable room, pity no air conditioning because it was very very hot, lovely view over the waterfront at night, staff very polite and helpful. The disco from an event could be heard as we had the window open but was not overtly disturbing, however we could tell when it was the break for buffet. Bathroom is lovely, very clean and the weighing scales were a nice touch! Lovely comfortable clean bed, really relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Ask about air conditioning hot hot hot!!! Friday night, could hear the disco and dj from the event...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Ms-HappyBlackC

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience, we hope to welcome you again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed for one night. Unfortunately there was a wedding here. The other guests are treated as if they do not exist. Went to the restaurant. Waited 1/2 hour for my drink before and no sign of anyone to take my order. Right now I'm hungry but they do not care. Disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear lucyblue6666

Thank you for your recent post. I was disappointed to read that you felt as though we had not offered you the same service level as other clients. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

May I suggest that whne you are returning to the area, you contact me directl? - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brierley Hill
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dudley

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!