“Can't think of a reason to stay here”

Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brierley Hill
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Can't think of a reason to stay here”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Fortunately this was just a one-night stay on business, but it will certainly be my last.

Merry Hill is a strange mid-1980s development centred around a big shopping mall, and my guess is that the hotel has never been updated since it was built nearly 30 years ago.

The room was clean, but faded with an odd configuration of a double and a single bed with a triangular table pushed to one side to make room for the single bed. When I arrived I wanted to watch cricket on the TV but I quickly found out that this was a major problem. The TV was a 17 inch box TV at least 25 years old, The TV was a Philips17HT3402 in case anyone wants to confirm its age! it carried maybe 8 channels excluding sports channels, but only three of the channels gave anything like acceptable viewing quality. Both picture and sound quality were extremely poor.

So I decided to get Sky Sports on my laptop and attempted to log on to the wifi system (chargeable!). After 3 failures, I tried to phone reception for help, but after waiting 3 minutes for a reply I dialled the Concierge instead. After a minute I was automatically transferred to the operator, and then gave up after a further 4 minute wait for a reply. I went down to reception and was given a code to access wifi, but I need not have bothered. I did get connected, but the connection was unbelievably slow so that trying to load streaming video consisted of 45 seconds of viewing followed by 30 seconds of buffering - a total waste of time and I quickly gave up!

I tried to console myself with a pint of beer in the (empty) bar but the price of £3.80 gave me no consolation.

I took a shower. The bathroom is as outdated as the rest of the room, but the shower was crazy. The fixed shower head jetted out a painful fine spray but it had no adjustment of any sort and a 20 second shower was enough for me! I stepped out of the bath and almost fell headlong as I discovered that the base of the bath was almost 6 inches higher than the floor - very unexpected and very dangerous.

I had paid the advance booking no-refund rate of £50 bed only and if I hadn't paid in advance I think I would have checked out within an hour of my arrival.

This hotel is just not in the league of the other Copthorne Hotels I have been to - it's a shame to see what was once a well-reputed name for quality dragged down to this level.

2 Thank AllenKR
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear MartyCR

Many thanks for your recent post, though I was disappointed to read of the issues you had experienced whilst with us. Please accept my sicnere apologies for this.

We have a roll out plan agreed for TV's throughout the country with ours scheduled to arrive later this year.

Whilst we do not have Sky Sports in the bedrooms, this is available in the bar area located on the ground floor.

I was disappointed to also read of your internet issues. We have a help desk available to us via our supplier which may have been able to resolve this matter.

Please feel free to let me know personally if you are returning to the area, whereby I will do my level best to ensure you a comfortable return - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.com

Matt Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Had a 2 night stay here for a weekend away, all was great. Great hotel, lovely food and very friendly and helpful staff. Good choice of food and drink in the restaurant, very good facilities in the hotel, great location as its close to local attractions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SMH34

Many thanks for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your time with us.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Copthorne a few years ago and really liked it - on my return, however, I was shocked by how dated it seems. The rooms are a bit gloomy and old-fashioned, and just seem a little unloved. Dumb, outdated ideas like paid wifi still in place - are we not yet at a point where free wifi is a basic expectation? Also, as many others have commented, the tv is like a relic from another age. Tiny, boxy, with poor reception. The staff and service all seemed good at this hotel (in my limited experience of a two-night stay) but really - this place is screaming out for an update.

2 Thank Waltz2
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My colleague and I stayed at the Copthorne for 3 nights - company booking made for two rooms. Due to corporate rate arranged, it was assumed that our booking was for bed only. Fortunately we had a copy of our booking. For the subsequent 3 mornings, our breakfast booking had to be verified as well as us being asked to sign for our breakfast so charges could be raised.
My colleague found a used tampon in bathroom waste bin.
There was a hole in the bathroom door.
Decor very jaded, dated and mismatched.
Old television.
In my room, same jaded decor and completely at odds - one 'bouncy' office chair, and an easy chair with holes in the upholstery and braid loose and falling off. After complaint was made, this chair was replaced with one from the bar area.
Bath towel was thin and washed out.
Desk area - side panel veneer was peeling off.
Cigarette burns in carpet.
Flat lumpy pillows.
No classic music channels available on radio channel of antiquated television.
No television guide available.
Hotel stationary / brochure not reflective of a 4* hotel.
Shower useless as shower curtain did not prevent water getting onto the floor.
Duct tape across the carpets in the corridors and in the bar / restaurant area.

Work-wise - very convenient to stay there, but certainly would not be my choice; the owners need to spend some time and money to get problems sorted. Maintenance and upkeep sadly lacking - these problems cannot be blamed on the management and staff of the hotel.

1 Thank MyraPaula
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear MyraPaula

Thank you so much for your recent post, though I was saddened to read that you and your colleague had not enjoyed your time with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

May I recommend that you contact me directly when due to return to the area as I would very much like to make up for your previous experience - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.com

I hope to hear from you soon

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Myself and 7 friends had booked a spa day using a groupon voucher at this spa facility. Having been on spa days before we were all excited. This is the worst spa day I've had. We phoned the day prior to our booking to check times, and to we if we needed to provide our own towels/robes etc. on the phone we were told our treatments would begin at 10am and that we should be there for 9:30. Upon arrival we were told we'd missed our first treatment as it was at 9:15. We were also told that although there were plenty of towels in the spa, there were only 4 robes in the whole of the spa. Yes, 4. And we hadn't got in early enough to get them.

Moving onto the lunch, it was good food, but we had to wait a good 10mins for someone to seat us even though the restaurant only had 2 sets of couple in. Also found a small piece of plastic in one of the deserts, which the waitress told us was an apple pip. It wasn't , it was plastic.

When we returned to the spa for the rest of the treatments there was much confusion over times of treatments with two of our girls being told 3 different times for their treatments. Depending on who you spoke to the appointments were either 3:45, 4:30 or 4:45.

At the end of our spa day we sat in the reception area waiting for our lifts home. While waiting we heard the staff behind the desk saying that 'we are just waiting for them lot to move now' in an annoyed tone. As we got up to leave and were walking through the door we were suddenly called back to reception to tell them our groupon security code, that they all of a sudden needed, but waited until we were leaving to ask for, even though they were sat with us for 20 mins while we were waiting for our lifts. All in all the day was disappointing and very lacklustre. Wouldn't recommend. We felt that we weren't getting the same level of service as other guests, purely because we were groupon customers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Aurora113
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Aurora113

Thank you for your review though I would appreciate the opportunity to investigate your comments further.

Can you please provide me with details of your experience, i.e. date, lead name etc?

matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Many thanks

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted with the response from the hotel, after me and my colleague both had our purses stolen whilst at a conference at this hotel. Management offered no apology, failed to return calls and offered no support in terms of police investigation.

Stayed May 2013
3 Thank JodieColb
Dear Jodie

As with a comment posted earlier, please contact me directly as I will be happy to support you and learn more about your experience.

matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nice reception and communal areas, rooms good size a little dated but not bad. Leisure facilities fine except steam room filthy and no steam at all. Breakfast ok but lots of things had run out had to keep asking for plates, juice and other things which should have been out.

Had a meal in the hotel. Food was lovely but portions reiculously small for price. Meal was overpriced really. Ood location for shopping and beer tour as this is why we stayed here.

Overall a good stay but probably wouldn't eat again for the price!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Laura

Many thanks for your post.

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed all aspects of your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

We offer three menu's at the hotel which also enable people to dine for a variety of price levels. These include bar menu, table d'hote and a la carte, should you be returning to the area, please do let me know matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brierley Hill
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dudley

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!