“In urgent need of updating”

Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brierley Hill
Manchester, United Kingdom
“In urgent need of updating”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Copthorne a few years ago and really liked it - on my return, however, I was shocked by how dated it seems. The rooms are a bit gloomy and old-fashioned, and just seem a little unloved. Dumb, outdated ideas like paid wifi still in place - are we not yet at a point where free wifi is a basic expectation? Also, as many others have commented, the tv is like a relic from another age. Tiny, boxy, with poor reception. The staff and service all seemed good at this hotel (in my limited experience of a two-night stay) but really - this place is screaming out for an update.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Waltz2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My colleague and I stayed at the Copthorne for 3 nights - company booking made for two rooms. Due to corporate rate arranged, it was assumed that our booking was for bed only. Fortunately we had a copy of our booking. For the subsequent 3 mornings, our breakfast booking had to be verified as well as us being asked to sign for our breakfast so charges could be raised.
My colleague found a used tampon in bathroom waste bin.
There was a hole in the bathroom door.
Decor very jaded, dated and mismatched.
Old television.
In my room, same jaded decor and completely at odds - one 'bouncy' office chair, and an easy chair with holes in the upholstery and braid loose and falling off. After complaint was made, this chair was replaced with one from the bar area.
Bath towel was thin and washed out.
Desk area - side panel veneer was peeling off.
Cigarette burns in carpet.
Flat lumpy pillows.
No classic music channels available on radio channel of antiquated television.
No television guide available.
Hotel stationary / brochure not reflective of a 4* hotel.
Shower useless as shower curtain did not prevent water getting onto the floor.
Duct tape across the carpets in the corridors and in the bar / restaurant area.

Work-wise - very convenient to stay there, but certainly would not be my choice; the owners need to spend some time and money to get problems sorted. Maintenance and upkeep sadly lacking - these problems cannot be blamed on the management and staff of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MyraPaula
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear MyraPaula

Thank you so much for your recent post, though I was saddened to read that you and your colleague had not enjoyed your time with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

May I recommend that you contact me directly when due to return to the area as I would very much like to make up for your previous experience - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.com

I hope to hear from you soon

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Myself and 7 friends had booked a spa day using a groupon voucher at this spa facility. Having been on spa days before we were all excited. This is the worst spa day I've had. We phoned the day prior to our booking to check times, and to we if we needed to provide our own towels/robes etc. on the phone we were told our treatments would begin at 10am and that we should be there for 9:30. Upon arrival we were told we'd missed our first treatment as it was at 9:15. We were also told that although there were plenty of towels in the spa, there were only 4 robes in the whole of the spa. Yes, 4. And we hadn't got in early enough to get them.

Moving onto the lunch, it was good food, but we had to wait a good 10mins for someone to seat us even though the restaurant only had 2 sets of couple in. Also found a small piece of plastic in one of the deserts, which the waitress told us was an apple pip. It wasn't , it was plastic.

When we returned to the spa for the rest of the treatments there was much confusion over times of treatments with two of our girls being told 3 different times for their treatments. Depending on who you spoke to the appointments were either 3:45, 4:30 or 4:45.

At the end of our spa day we sat in the reception area waiting for our lifts home. While waiting we heard the staff behind the desk saying that 'we are just waiting for them lot to move now' in an annoyed tone. As we got up to leave and were walking through the door we were suddenly called back to reception to tell them our groupon security code, that they all of a sudden needed, but waited until we were leaving to ask for, even though they were sat with us for 20 mins while we were waiting for our lifts. All in all the day was disappointing and very lacklustre. Wouldn't recommend. We felt that we weren't getting the same level of service as other guests, purely because we were groupon customers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Aurora113
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Aurora113

Thank you for your review though I would appreciate the opportunity to investigate your comments further.

Can you please provide me with details of your experience, i.e. date, lead name etc?

matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Many thanks

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted with the response from the hotel, after me and my colleague both had our purses stolen whilst at a conference at this hotel. Management offered no apology, failed to return calls and offered no support in terms of police investigation.

Stayed May 2013
3 Thank JodieColb
Dear Jodie

As with a comment posted earlier, please contact me directly as I will be happy to support you and learn more about your experience.

matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nice reception and communal areas, rooms good size a little dated but not bad. Leisure facilities fine except steam room filthy and no steam at all. Breakfast ok but lots of things had run out had to keep asking for plates, juice and other things which should have been out.

Had a meal in the hotel. Food was lovely but portions reiculously small for price. Meal was overpriced really. Ood location for shopping and beer tour as this is why we stayed here.

Overall a good stay but probably wouldn't eat again for the price!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Laura

Many thanks for your post.

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed all aspects of your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

We offer three menu's at the hotel which also enable people to dine for a variety of price levels. These include bar menu, table d'hote and a la carte, should you be returning to the area, please do let me know matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Birmingham UK
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for an overnight party where a function room was booked. No choice of food just watery soup and chicken and a over sweet chocolate desert unlucky if u didn't like! Asked for red wine where they produced an in drinkable offering apparently they had run out of Shiraz a week ago !! asked if had cocktails which they looked blank and an after thought was if u tell me what's in it ill do ( not really the idea) hilarious cosmopolitans on offer for 3 pound but was a vile sickly syrup disgusting certainly not a Cosmo. Staff were generally friendly but just felt hotel was mid managed with no direction or business sense. What a shame we had money to splash but nothing to buy . Breakfast was however good, but so to in a cafe therefore do not recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank xYeahMonx
Dear xYeahMonx

Thank you for your recent review, though as you will appreciate am appauled by what I have read. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I would be most appreciative if you could provide me with further details of your experience, i.e date, event etc - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Many thanks in advance

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I can't comment on the condition of the rooms at the hotel as I have never stayed there. However my daughter and her friend, both teachers, attended a training course there yesterday and both had their purses stolen out of their handbags. Someone from the hotel promised to ring her friend back today but no one bothered to do so.
I rang the hotel this evening and spoke to the Duty Manager, Andy, whose attitude I found appalling.
He clearly couldnt care less, no apology, no expression of concern, nothing. He didnt even bother to ask for my daughters name or contact details.
Needless to say this isn't somewhere we would ever recommend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tigra_11
Dear tigra_11

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding though have just returned from holiday to read your comments.

Please contact me directly with further details at matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brierley Hill
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#8 of 20 in Wolverhampton
The Quality Hotel Dudley

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!