“Good choice for this area” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brierley Hill
Essex, England
“Good choice for this area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have stayed many times at this hotel over the years. It was really smart when new and we have felt it has been getting tired more recently. On this most recent trip our impression was that money was being invested to freshen it up, for example new carpets in the bedrooms. The adjacent parking is a boon and the check-in was prompt and efficient. The value for money was terrific for the rate we got (£63 per night and club room) and we were very happy with the restaurant service. The kitchen and waiting service was excellent. On Saturday night the hotel was full and the Sunday morning breakfast buffet was outstanding for over 200 covers -- very tasty fresh food with good choice. On Monday morning, with only 20 covers expected, it was individual table service and that was also very well done. Although the hotel is purpose built the sound insulation is mediocre and the place gets noisy on a Saturday night with people moving around and talking in to the early hours. Other than that we found the room was very comfortable. The location is perfect for the expansive Merry Hill shopping mall which provides a choice of other dining options. Although the hotel is in the middle of the old industrial Black Country there is much of interest to visit in the area and wonderful country close at hand.

Room Tip: For the better view, ask for a room overlooking the canal basin.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Heraldthewake

Thank you so much for taking the time to share youre recent experience. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed various aspects of your stay, including the food and service on offer.

You are most correct in that the Black Country has many gems to offer visiting clients and well worth checking out.

Thank you once again for your kind words

Yours sicnerely

Matt Ward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed in this hotel when visiting the area on business. I have stayed in other holes within the group and I am pleased to say I did not feel let down. Checkin was fast and efficient and when I got in to my room I was pleased with the size and amenities. Only major thing I would change is to put a larger tv in the room......small criticism given how good everything else was.
I also ate in the bar and was happy with the quality of the food and service.
Breakfast was also very good with prompt attentive service for anything requested.
Overall I would recommend and will be definitely stzying again when I return next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear David W

Thank you for your recent feedback. I was delighted to raed that you enjoyed your experience with us.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Yours sincerely

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Every year, my wife and I spend a night away to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This year I booked a bed and breakfast deal at the Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill.
We arrived on the afternoon of the 16th November and were really impressed by the reception area. We were greeted with a smile from the receptionist and was allocated a room on the second floor at the far end of the building. We made our way to the room and it initially seemed very pleasant. The room had a double aspect window arrangement overlooking the carpark at the front of the building. However, things go a little downhill from here.
There were tea and coffee making facilities but no biscuits, which I thought rather odd. Below that was a cupboard which was locked, which I guess was hiding a mini bar. If we had upgraded, maybe that would have been an unlocked cupboard - We'll never know. It would have been nice to have the choice. In the bathroom, the complimentary toiletries consisted of a bar of soap and tiny shampoo sample, not even enough for one person. Poor Show! In the corner of the room was a portable tv from the last century with limited chanels. On closer inspection of the room, there were a number of tea or coffee stains on the wallpaper. The room seemed "tired" and was in need of complete revamp. Having already read the reviews of the hotel restaurant we decided to eat out, as there are an abundance of restaurants in the area within walking distance.
After a reasonable nights sleep, we made our way down for breakfast in Faraday's Bar. On entering we thought that we had walked into a disco as the background pop music was blaring away. I complained and they turned it right down. We sat down on the lower of the two tiers adjacent to the double fire exit doors overlooking the canal. I would describe Faradays as a "Littlewoods restaurant with bling", a little tacky for my liking. Kids were allowed to run around and the whole experience reminded me of something from Butlins Holiday Camp. However, staff were very pleasant and I have to admit that the breakfast was one of the best that I have ever had. Everything cooked to perfection. My biggest concern though was the following obsrevations from where I was sitting:- There was what I would describe as a cradle positioned directly in front of the Fire Exit doors. On top of the cradle was placed a large tray. This tray was used as a "dumping ground" for crocks, plates, cups and food waste etc by the waiting staff. Only when the tray was full would it be whisked away and to return when empty to its resting place once again. Not only did it make me feel a little sick having to witness this act just a couple of feet away from our table, but to place this contraption in front of a Fire Exit in the first place beggars belief. Health and safety issues there I'm affraid. Following breakfast, we made our way to the second floor, down the corridor, squeezed past four double beds upstanding to attention outside our room (don't ask 'cos I don't know) picked up our bags from our room and went to reception to check out.
Different time, different face. Receptionist seemed preoccupied, obviously she was dealing with more important things than dealing with guests wishing to check out. Yes, we did have a nice stay - Yes, we appreciate your thanks for staying with you & Yes, we did have a safe journey home. Alas, we were asked none of this which is "bread and butter" etiquette of the hospitality trade. Copthorne Merry Hill strives to be a 4* establishment but has 3* values. Alas, standards are obviously slipping.

Room Tip: Ask fo a room that has been recently decorated
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business, I stop in the area on a weekly basis and decided to try a new hotel.
I had room service and ordered the king scallops. I had been fine all day and around 9pm, shortly after eating the scallops I became violently ill and was up all night with sickness.
By the time I was fit to check out in the morning - I was still quite ill but wanted to get home, I mentioned the issue to reception who called the manager (really just to ensure it didn't happen to anyone else). When the manager arrived I felt like I was being interrogated, I could only just put two words together at the time and was very pale, so it certainly wasn't the time to be spoken to as though I was a child in a very accusing manner and I wasn't really fit to respond. The manager then disappeared and asked me to wait a few minutes. I waited for a few minutes but was desperate to get home so I left my number with reception and left.
The service by the manager was poor. I spoke with her on a couple of occasions aftertwards and she still refused to remove the scallops from the bill.
Needless to say, after the way I was spoken to I will never be stopping in a Copthorne hotel again and nor will any of my business guests.
I have never written a review on here despite staying in hotels on a weekly basis. But this was beyond a joke.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Linds649
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Copthorne for 1 night at the weekend. The room was ok but in need of updating. The bathroom looked nice but the bath itself needed replacing as there was stains which put me off. Our offer included breakfast the next morning & the jugs which hot water was served in, were filthy. I wanted some fruit so I took some grapes from the fruit basket which clearly hadn't been washed as they were very sticky.

When attempting to make a booking with the spa before our trip we were told that the spa was fully booked.

The worse part of our trip was the beds, we both woke with bad back pain as the bed caved in the middle. Clearly a very old bed.

The one thing that made the hotel for us was the waterfront view. The canal was lovely to walk along first thing in the morning.

Overall not bad but in definite need of updating.

Room Tip: I can't comment on the higher standard of rooms but I would hope the beds are not as bad.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stay at this hotel now and then when we visit the midlands to see family.
We only stayed the one night but had a great time.
Each time is excellent and each time we would not consider anywhere else.
Rooms are first class and the staff so friendly.
If you want a hotel with excellent facilities and near to the brilliant Merry Hill shopping centre look no more.
Will definately be returning.

Enfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have never been to a UK hotel and had such helpful friendly service from ALL the staff....and they were all English!! Nothing was too much bother or trouble. Pool and all it's facilities were really really clean as were the rooms and everywhere else. Unusual as well for a hotel to be happy to cater for a family of 5 without us having to split up into 2 rooms. Perfect location too being opposite the 'Westfield' Merry Hill Shopping Centre. Wish there were more hotels like this around!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Lynn528

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed every aspect if the hotel as well as surrounding amenities.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Best regards

The Quality Hotel Dudley
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#7 of 20 in Wolverhampton

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!