Tripadvisor
Shipston on Stour
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews lovely hotel superior room live music decanter of sherry roll top bath staff were very helpful and friendly an upgrade fish cakes checking in sunday lunch room was large coffee machine great atmosphere free standing bath return visit stayed two nights high street
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Drifted into this clean & up to date pub while exploring Shipston & happy with the overall experience.
Beverage & food all realistic prices not exploiting the tourist trade.
Helpful staff on information of surrounding places to visiting plus local are very accommodating as well!.
Definitely revisit this well run establishment , keep it up?.

Date of stay: January 2020
GeorgeTownhouse1, Manager at The George Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank your for your review, we're very glad you enjoyed your visit and our lovely local regulars!
We hope to see again soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2020

Exhausted from hosting family over Christmas, I sneaked my mother out for a relaxed lunch in what is fast becoming one of our favourite local places. Once again The George lived up to expectation: the food was as always exceptionally well-prepared, tasty and fresh! The staff are so friendly - today Billy could not have looked after us better, a real star - thank you! We throughly enjoyed a completely relaxing couple of hours in The Garden Room which was warm and had wonderful music playing. I cannot recommend highly enough and we look forward to returning again very soon.

Date of stay: January 2020
GeorgeTownhouse1, General Manager at The George Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2020

Thank you for such a lovely review. Billy is a valued member of our team who I am proud to have on board with us and I'm sure he will appreciate your feedback. I will also relay the review to the kitchen as I am sure that they would be thrilled to know that you enjoyed your meal so much.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2019

I booked this Hotel as an overnight stop ,as I was attending a family party locally .
I only needed a basic room for this purpose , but was hit by the most awful smell when entering the room .
Luckily I was taken to the room and the young man who had checked me in , acknowledged the smell , before I even said anything .
He moved me to another room at the front of the building - this apparently was an upgrade , which he pointed out he would not make an additional charge ( I was surprised that this would even be considered !)
The room was much larger than my needs , but smelt a lot better than the first room - UNTIL I went in to the bathroom . There was a milder but still unpleasant drain smell . I was running late and not impressed about the smell , but didn't have time to complain or move room again .
I left the party earlier than intended as had been at work all day and was exhausted from Christmas parties during the week and the long drive over earlier .I just wanted to flop into bed and SLEEP !
Unfortunately that wasn't going to happen ! It was the Festive season and there were plenty of revellers in the bar - It was Christmas and I understand that , but my room was directly above the bar , The noise and vibration !! felt like they were in my room !
I started to get ready for bed , but the smell in the bathroom and the noise !!! - I just gave up ,packed my bag and handed my key in at the bar . The guy I saw was very pleasant and offered to give me another room , but it was too little to late ,I had tried 2 rooms and already had my bag packed .
I had a miserable 2 hour drive home in the rain and absolutely shattered .
I was just so disappointed in my experience with this Hotel .

I wasn't going to post on Trip Adviser as I mostly prefer to pass on my positive experiences but what has really bothered me is that I received an online feedback form , asking for a TRUTHFUL feedback .
I was positive about the young chap who checked me in (and out ) He was friendly and professional.

I mentioned that I had received a call about the restaurant being full that evening , and how it would have been courteous to mention due to Christmas celebrations there may be noise - giving me the option to find somewhere quieter

I mentioned that as my room was relocated and I am guessing there were other rooms available due to the young chaps offer as I handed in my key - why was I not given a quieter room in the first place ?

I obviously also bought all that I have written above to their attention on the form .
I took the trouble to complete this process and I have received no response from the property .

Which about sums up that they don't really care about their customers.

They were happy to take £100 from me for this poor experience .

Date of stay: December 2019
GeorgeTownhouse1, General Manager at The George Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2020

Thank you for your honest review. We truly do appreciate feedback whether it is negative or positive as it allows us to grow.

I'm really sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Firstly I would like to say that I am pleased that when you were checked in, you were moved rooms the instant that we found the problem with your first room, and without your needing to ask.
I'm also sorry that you found your room too noisy when you decided to leave, albeit quite early in the evening of a busy Friday in December. I am however pleased that the team once again attempted to resolve the situation.
Further more, I am sorry that you are of the belief that we do not care about feedback, or respond to our guests. I can see that your original feedback was responded to on our system, therefore I can only think that perhaps it could be sitting in your junk folder in your emails?
It is truly disappointing and unusual to have feedback such as this. In my time at the George, I cannot ever remember a guest deciding to leave early due to noise.
If you would like to return to us in the future, please could you contact me directly on: gm@thegeorgeshipston.co.uk so that I can make sure that we look after you and that your next experience with us is better than your last.

Kind Regards

Matthew Hiscoe

Reviewed December 29, 2019

It was a treat.....we were treated by an old friend....and the George is a treat! We hadn’t been before but first impressions are so important. Friendly staff throughout. Fairly quick service on a busy lunchtime. Beautiful food served hot and attractive. Excellent choice. Good ambience with a selection of various side rooms suitable for family occasions. And,although I wasn’t paying(!!) ,the prices seemed to be very fair for the quality . If around again,it’s a great place to eat. Well done,George!!

Room tip: The marmalade ice cream!!
Date of stay: December 2019

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

We're thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us and we very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2019

We had to pre-order our lunch but this was not a problem as there was something for everyone. Sea Bass/Turkey?Lamb all proved to be popular and did not disappoint. The price was also reasonable for this time of the year and also the service was very good.

Date of stay: December 2019
GeorgeTownhouse1, General Manager at The George Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2019

Thank you Carol for your review.

We're really pleased that you enjoyed the food and service that you received at the George.

Pre-ordering during December for large groups is a tool that we use to ensure that service runs smoothly for you on the day. Clearly from your review, this was the case, however I am sorry if this procedure meant that your experience was only 4/5 overall.

We very much hope to see you again soon and next time earn a 5/5 score.

Kind regards