“Being treated as a guest instead of a customer”

Diamond House Hotel
Diamond House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Rugby B&B and Inns
Ilford, United Kingdom
“Being treated as a guest instead of a customer”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am lucky enough to work in an industry which means I stay in hotels all over the world - so I believe I am more than competent to give an honest assessment of this hotel.

What I would say about this one is that as many of the reviews have stated, it's not the world's most up to date boutique hotel - quite the opposite. What it lacks in the latest mod cons it more than makes up for in service - good old fashioned personable service.

Instead of a customer or a room number, Simon, the owner, makes you feel like a guest in his home - a friendly chat, a lovely home cooked breakfast made to order - when you are on the road for weeks at a time, believe me, someone to say a pleasant 'good morning' to you and mean it - is a welcome break from the usual.

Internet was on the whole fine - the room was clean and the parking safe and convenient - breakfast was good and on occasion superb! The bed was so comfortable it was all I could do to stop myself falling asleep whilst watching early evening TV.

As stated above I have read some of the comments by people and ask myself what do they want for £45 a night?

I would book to stay again in an instant - I would urge others to do so as well.

Room Tip: Rooms ABCDE are right next to the rear car park - ideal for checking in and out
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Room seven is not a room it's a cell sky light for a window,mould in the sky light.filthy walls no heating (it's a electric storage heaters that are turned off at the wall so I turned it on to store the heat from that night so it would be release through out the following day ready for when I arrived back from working out doors .got back and they had switched it off at the wall.still freezing so I complain about everything and the nasty foul staff shouted at me and blamed the state of the room on me but had to stay that night did not sleep a wink in the child size bed

Room Tip: Not room 7
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ben B

Travelers are raving about these Rugby hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. The decor is very outdated and tired as were the fixtures and fittings. We had a 'penthouse', well it was in the attic. The room came with full kitchenette, whereas it would have been more suitable having a full bathroom rather than the toilet come shower cubicle it had. The toilet was so close to the opposite wall if you are over 6 foot tall you'd have to sit on the toilet sideways. The toilet overflow drained into the shower tray (nice!). The wash basin was attached to the wall outside the bathroom and was so small not even a child would be able to wash their face. There was a fuse box and exposed mains cabling in the corner of the room...when I say exposed I mean copper wire showing. The bed appeared to be a wardbrode laid on its side with mattress on it. The mattress was really old and totally worn out. The pillows inside the pillow case were ancient and a horrid yellowy brown. The duvet was tiny and didn't cover the bed.
Breakfast average at best. I could not recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in Rugby
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank toby p
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Firstly the cover picture is NOT of the Diamond House Hotel 30, Hillmorton Rd, Rugby as it is now. Having read some of the other favourable reviews and cannot disagree with some of the views. The place was OK, the rooms were tired but clean. The corridors were shabby. The breakfast was good if basic. I think if I was going on a fishing trip or the like I would use this hotel, it is also nicely situated near the town centre. It is not the place to take the wife if she is particular and two couples turned up, had a 'discussion' and left. That said the staff were really nice and I don't want to do down this place it was OK for a Lads trip and for that I would defiantly use it again but I wouldn't take my wife.

Room Tip: Get there soon and see what rooms are available
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandaharG28
Sussex
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stay here every year for a fishing club AGM / drinkathon. It's not the ritz, but it does the job and the breakfast fills a hole in the morning. Rooms are a bit tired but they're clean and the kettle works. If you need somewhere to just dump your stuff and sleep then it's a good place.

Room Tip: Car park round the back is logically more secure, though we've not had any problems out the fron...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed at very short notice and I admit our first impressions were that the hotel is in need of some TLC and modernising. The owner was very friendly and welcoming and our room was spacious and warm. The furniture was a bit mismatched but plenty of room for your belongings and above all the room and bathroom were clean. Good to have wifi and breakfast included. This has the potential to be a great hotel but does need a lot of investment and I suspect these things take time when you are not a big chain.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 which is a family room (one double, two singles)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Unfortunately we booked in here to attend a funeral. The room was cold, damp and musty smelling, we turned the radiator, which helped get rid of the musty smell. I went to breakfast once in our 2 day stay, it was like being at a half way house.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 10ogara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
The Grosvenor Hotel
Brownsover Hall Hotel
Draycote Hotel
Draycote Hotel
#6 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Diamond House Hotel? Share your experiences!