“Great Hotel with Fantsatic Food”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a hidden gem in Rugby. Fantastic location, just a five minute walk into town, made it so handy to get to places. The rooms were average, although they are undergoing a refurbishment, however had all the essentials required. The restaurant was the highlight of the stay. The food was excellent, best pan fried salmon I have ever had. Service was great, and a good selection at the bar. Will definitely be back soon!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank D G
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you for taking time out to write this review, we appreciate the kind comments about hotel and restaurant and look forward to welcoming you in the future!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

As a regular business traveller this was one of the worst hotels I have experienced in 20 years. Looking at the ceiling in reception should have given me a clue which was water stained and peeling with light fittings hanging down and exposed wires taped up. I was allocated a top floor room which was shaby to say the least. The mattress did not fit the bed, the shower cubicle was filthy and the curtains had only 2 rings attached to the rail on the left side with a bit of wire tied on. My rate was for 2 nights & included breakfast so I decided to try it but 1 was enough!!
On the first evening Sunday, I tried a pint in the bar and was presented with the worst pint of Guiness that I have ever tasted, If the lines had seen any detergent this year I would be astonished. Needless to say this was my only trip to the bar for the rest of my stay. Avoid this place like the plague!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank BigD369

Thank you for your review. We do sincerely apologise for the your experience with us and have rectified the issues brought up in the room. With regards to the Guinness, we are proud to say that our beer lines are cleaned on a weekly basis and apologise if you received a bad pint. Sorry once again

Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

We booked into the Grosvenor pretty much at random via a room booking web site, after later reading reviews we were concerned about what we were going to get, on arrival the reception area was nice and the guy who checked us in was freindly and explained where everything was and gave directions to our rooms. We went into our rooms and they were clean and well set out and had everything we needed, at this point I thought about some of the reviews I had read about this hotel... What do people expect for the price of this hotel.
We put ourbags into the room and went to the bar for a drink, this was clean and well laid out with plenty of chairs and stools, we had a few drinks and have one complaint, price variation, the more drinks you have the cheaper they get! That aside the bar was good and the drinks excellent.
Got up early on the Saturday and Sunday mornings to get to Silverstone, this journey was about 35 minutes so ideal as a base. We did not have the breakfast either day so could not comment.
Overall we were happy with what we got at the Grosvenor, a few things we thought needed addressing immediately and not wait for the ongoing refurb programe were:
A crack in bathroom sink.
Shower took minutes to get going, a trickle for far too long.
Curtains not on some of the hooks.

We would return and would recommend this hotel, good value.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank barlikontour

Thank you for your review and comments, the sink has been replaced and new curtains have been put in. We really appreciate the comment you have provided and are happy you had a nice evening in the bar. Look forward to welcoming you in the near future

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Recently visited using a Groupon voucher, only available at lunchtime. Arrived after booking table at 12.30pm on a Thursday. First impressions not good, litter in the car park. Half eaten orange, a mouldy banana skin and a dirty mop and bucket left out in an open area next to reception entrance with empty bottles strewn on the floor. Very dirty!! We entered via the reception area and were pointed in the general direction of the restaurant, no one to meet us for quite a while but eventually were shown to our table. We were the only two there for the whole lunchtime so the atmosphere was not great. Music not bad, and the view of the road outside more interesting. I did like the decor, they had made an effort to make it modern using bright green as the main colour. We were given a glass of red wine as part of the deal which was very good and did not taste like a cheap wine. The menu was given to us and although nothing special, was adequate. The deal was for two courses but with lots of exclusions like king prawns etc.to be expected as it was a deal. My husband chose the spicy mushrooms and I had the thai fishcakes.he enjoyed the mushrooms and my fishcakes although very small, were tasty. served with a chilli dip. However the side salad was absolutely terrible, I could not eat it. It was not fresh and the red onion slices were brown on the edges. My husband ordered a medium rare steak and was prepared to pay the supplement, I ordered lamb chops which was on the starter menu but stated on the menu "available as a main". After the horror of the salad on my starter I asked for no salad but chose chips. When it arrived my husband's steak was overcooked(no excuse as we were the only peope there) but it did have chips, mushrooms, tomatoes and peas. Mine arrived with a small bowl of overcooked crispy chips, 2 lamb chops and a mint chutney. NOTHING ELSE!!.. I was charged £1.80 for the chips and if I had not asked for them I would literally had just 2 lamb chops by themselves on a large plate.with a dessertspoon of runny mint something or other. We paid the bill and left. It was the worst lunch experience I can remember. We will never return and could not recommend. Alex Polizzi needs to return and give them another piece of her mind.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Veronica B
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My friend and I visited the restaurant for a curry, overall the service was very attentive and the food was great. The chicken pathia was tasty, but the portions were quite small. We had used a tastecard so we got the meal cheaper. Also, the Cobra beer was expensive at £2.80 for a small bottle, and this soon adds up after a few bottles. All in all, a good experience, and authentic Indian food.

Room Tip: I only came here to the restaurant not the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SukyB

Thank you for taking your time out to write a complimentary review of our restaurant, we look forward to welcoming you in the future

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This by far is one of the worst hotels i have ever stayed in. Down to the decor and poor standrad of the rooms, to the lack of staff, and poor service. The rating of this hotel is clearly wrong as a bed and breakfast instead of a hotel. I alot of effort has been put into the reception area and bar/dinig area, however this is wasted when you see the state of the rooms. The decor is old and in most places patched up with repairs and the furniture very dated. That also with the musty smell in the hallways is not a welcoming experience. I also found that the cleaning of the rooms to be surface cleaned as the bath still had residue around it and everywhere was dusty.
Good location to the town centre, but thats all i can say really. I would rather stay in a plesant hotel a little further away from the town centre and drive in. I also had a terriable nights sleep as the hotel is situated on a main road and the windows of the hotel are old fashions single glazed and you can hear all the traffic noise. Would not reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank charlie280

Thank you for your review. I do sincerely apologise about your experience with us, housekeeping have been informed with regards to your comments, sorry once again

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Ok not a 5* star hotel, but the Grosvenor made my stay as pleasant and welcoming as they could have. The staff were always keen to impress, any problems were always rectified as swiftly as possible and were always interacting with guests. The food was great on each of the three nights, no complaints whatsoever. The rooms were decent, equipped with everything needed Location was great for town centre, will definitely be staying here again when I visit Rugby next

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BillyStoke

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and look forward to welcoming you in the future