“Disappointing and we will not be back”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My partner and I book hotels in Rugby on a fairly frequent basis and we have been looking for somewhere good to use regularly. We have used the Grosvenor a couple of times and have been less than impressed but our most recent visit left us in no doubt that we will never return! When I arrived at check-in they did not have details of our booking, despite it being booked online earlier that day. The guy on reception simply said 'we have no rooms left... only singles'. I explained I had paid for a double and that my partner would be joining me later but he still continued to say that they only had single rooms. I said 'ok, refund my payment and I will find another hotel'. At this he called someone on the phone. Then he said 'we have a room'.... He gave me a rather large room however I couldn't get in! When he came to help me with the lock (which were an issue on the rooms we have stayed in previously at this hotel) it smelt a bit odd inside. I didn't say anything at the time but I was soon back in reception as the TV didn't work. The guy brought me a new one, which didn't work particularly well either. As I lay on the bed watching the TV the smell just wouldn't go away. Like damp and mildew.. I got up to look outside and, having taken my shoes off, my feet were wet!! They must have had the carpet cleaned and that's why they said they didn't have a room. No wonder it smelt.... I'd rather have gone somewhere else! I then saw that the window was smashed and a large shard of glass was on the floor. It would have sliced my foot open if I hadn't seen it. My partner was not happy with the choice of hotel anyway so when he came back to see all of that he was furious.. but it was late so we just went to bed. To cap it off in the morning I was informed that breakfast was finished. They had given me the wrong time so I had missed it. They were completely uninterested in the fact that it was their misinformation that caused me to miss the breakfast time. So i was left hungry. I will never go back to that Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank CatherineMC81

Reviewed June 14, 2011

my niece held her wedding here and it was a lovely day,staff were very helpful and friendly,food was lovely,would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank janeoooo
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you for your kind words, we are glad the day went well and look forward to welcoming you at the Grosvenor once again

Reviewed June 7, 2011

The thing that drove me mad the most and nearly made me decide not to check in was the boarded up window at the front! Why don't they just paint it White or replace it. Real shame as the food is excellent & I would have recommended other people.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Freddericka

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the food, with regards to the window, it is in the process of getting replaced

Reviewed June 6, 2011

I haven't stayed at this hotel (as we are locally based) but felt it was worth informing others that it has an excellent and reasonably priced restaurant. It's very clean, recently refurbished by the looks of things, and the food is very nice and large in portion! The hotel was recently featured on Channel 5's 'The Hotel Inspector' and its restaurant was singled out for praise here too. This is not gourmet / fine dining level food, but well worth a visit if you live locally or are in the area. It also has a reasonably sized and free car park around the back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SteveBB85
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Thank you for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future

Reviewed June 1, 2011

I saw this hotel on hotel inspector on tv was on business in rugby so gave it a try! The rooms are cosy and have everything I needed the staff are friendly and got a great nights sleep it's quiet and beds are comfy! And the hotel is spotless and clean but the highlight as shown on tv actually was the food really good prices and tasty I'm back in august for work and I have no hesitation in stopping in this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2011
6  Thank ScottyandRyan

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and restaurant, and we look forward to welcoming you in August

Reviewed May 30, 2011

I would recommend this hotel to other travelers who are looking for a short-term stay in a friendly and affordable place.

This hotel also have many scrumptious meals at affordable prices. I tried their Beef Burger and Soup. They were Delicious!!! At lunch time they offer a Fixed priced menu starting from £6 for 1 course meal. What a Bargain!!

I will stay at this hotel again and next time I do hope that the Manager will change its old fashioned curtains to modern and simple design

Room Tip: Speak directly with the Hotel manager
Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank nycfoodietravel

Thank you for your kind words regarding the restaurant, a refurbishment programme is in place, and hope to update key areas that need to be addressed soon

Reviewed May 30, 2011

We've been staying here since 1994 and our group love this hotel. Seen it change hands a few times and now its better than ever. Friendly, comfortable, good food, great bar with Sky, nice atmsophere and close to town. Previous owners let it get quite run down at one time but now the programme of refurbishment is on going so rooms getting better all the time. It can't all be done overnight but they're getting there. We will definitely stay there again next time if we can.

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Moosa10

Thank you for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you in the future