“Stunning building & spotless rooms.”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Leeds
“Stunning building & spotless rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed this past weekend with my 3 adult children, we had two rooms 31 & 32 in the coach house and it was fabulous, spacious & spotless, only problems being (1) the shower pressure and (2) we had to find the coach house ourselves and it would have been nice to have been shown to our rooms to save us dragging our luggage around the grounds in search of them!! We decided not to let this spoil our stay. However what really did spoil our stay was the fact we were unable to have dinner at the hotel as we were told the dining room was full on Saturday night... so we had to go in search of an evening meal and as we did not know the area it was really inconvenient. We were offered food in the bar but we booked into a hotel to enjoy the full experience and a bar meal was not part of our plans!!This was such a shame because the actual building and grounds of this hotel are beautiful with all the original features and I would love to give it the highest rating on that alone, but I am being honest when I say it would have got 100% if not for the above. We did however manage to secure breakfast which was really nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. Apologies for the inconvenience regarding the Coach House water pressure and I will look into what may have been the problem. Assistance with luggage as well as directions to the rooms, is available on arrival and apologise if this was not readily available to you on this occasion. It is always advisable to reserve a table in the restaurant, to avoid disappointment. I am sorry we were unable to accommodate you due a busy evening service. We do offer the full restaurant menu in the bar. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on future occasions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here one night for a celebration Birthday with friends and we both had rooms in the stable block, ours being number 38. The hotel is in shabby chic style within Gothic architecture and we all loved it. Built in the mid 1800's on the site of an earlier manor house and retaining the stable block, now very nicely converted, and the old walled garden which is simply charming. Part of the www.sonomahotels.co.uk group and although you could spend a fortune on touching up the paint and re-papering in places it's like one of those country pubs that looks so great in the evening with the dim lights and roaring fire but in the morning is a bit dingy in places. Look for the huge antlers in the front porch and as you wander through the panelled rooms you come to a beautiful old staircase (rumours of ghosts but we never saw even a glimpse of one) and then you come to a fabulous dining room that used to be the chapel of the old house. Amongst the period paintings are old photos of the house and then you might wonder at the assortment of WWII and airplane pictures but you need to realise that Sir Frank Whittle, the father of the jet engine, did much of his early work at the hotel. The Stable Block has a number of rooms which look either over the cobbled yard, where you can sit out at tables and have the free Proseco that comes with your booking (very nice touch and well chilled in an ice bucket), or as our room had a view over the walled garden which was very nice indeed. Large and very nice double bed, ample space to swing two cats at least, wardrobe, couple of nice bedroom chairs and a table, desk with tea and coffee materials, medium size flat panel TV on wall so all in pretty good. Bathroom was more than adequate and the power shower was excellent sadly with one of those dodgy shower curtains rather than a glass screen but still good. Wifi a little unpredictable in the stable block but good elsewhere. Dinner was a delight and my wife and I both had the fillet steak and it was as good as some that we have paid twice as much for. Wine might be a little on the expensive side but of course you don't have to buy that do you? Dinner scores a 9 out of 10 for quantity, quality and friendly service. Room scores an 8 out of 10 but actually maybe should be a 9 because we got a great free upgrade. Hotel generally was friendly (reception is a bottleneck and maybe a little slow but we weren't rushing off to a business meeting) and the grounds are very relaxing. Breakfast is a buffet with a selection of cold meats (the pork slices looked a bit too fatty and wobbly for me) and cheeses and cereals but I moved straight to the cooked English buffet which was good apart from the fact that part of the selection was fried eggs but they seemed to only cook three at a time and so people kept popping out see whether any had arrived. That being said I did enjoy it and it certainly wasn't one of those microwaved disasters you sometimes get. (Note to staff: Toast needs to be cooked until it's a bit crispy and not too floppy).

Room Tip: If there's a function on you may be better off in the stable block
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comprehensive review. It was that much in depth and I not think a professional journalist could have done better. Your comments are noted for improvements as well as the need for imminent selective refurbishment. Welcome back for a relaxing break.
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just read Nikki W's review and had very similar experience - also stayed in stable block - also felt possessions would be safe due to two locks needed. Also spent couple of hours in dining room being attended by staff. Unfortunately two of my husband’s credit cards went missing along with some money from his wallet. I feel the hotels policies should be looked at around the handling of what is obviously a very professional thieving operation with the absolute knowledge of the staff and management as we were informed by the police (whom the hotel management refused to inform/report incident to) that we were the 5th victims (Nikki W's experience happened the week before ours). The hotel staff were friendly and attentive - Some of the management were friendly attentive but restricted by upper management of this hotel and at no point in time while there, during or after the event has the General Manager contacted us in any way shape or form and at no point were we informed or advised that this has been an ongoing problem.
There are signs in all areas of the hotel which leads you to believe security cameras are in place, not the case security cameras only cover the bar and reception areas though initially management said they would check their CCTV system knowing full well they don't have one. The hotel seems to be doing precious little to offer security for their guests considering this crime is being repeated time and again with very little deterrent. No safe’s in rooms – easy access to keys – no camera’s - no come-back - why wouldn’t they ??

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank TaeB158
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We respect you point of view. As previously explained, we are cooperating with the Police on this matter and as a precautious have changed locks and increased physical surveillance. All available CCTV footage is being investigated by the Police.There are several priorities to bear in mind, however rest assured, guest security is our primary objective.
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Pleasant hotel for all adult age groups. Rooms are excellent and very spacious the food was good standard and would not hesitate to stay there again as staff are excellent and nothing too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2013
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
thank for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Rugby area
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I checked in to the Brownsover Hall Hotel on the 27th July 2013. It looked absolutely fantastic.

We checked in and were informed that we would be staying in the converted stable block (Room 43). On arrival in our pleasant room we found complimentary wine and chocolates which we thought was a nice touch. We had booked dinner in the hotel that evening and were informed that we would be the only guests from the hotel dining, as there was a large wedding party and another celebration.

It was a very stormy wet night and reception kindly sent an umbrella over to keep us dry. There was no room safe, but we were more than happy with the fact that in order for someone to enter our room they would need 2 keys, and cameras were visible on the forecourt. I decided that I would leave my handbag containing a very large some of money in the room, with phones and ipads. We were seated in the library by a very attentive (my be over attentive waitress). We enjoyed a very nice meal with drinks (a couple of hours). Much of which was monitored by the very attentive waitress, who was very keen to assist on our every move. We retired to our room after a long day travelling.

The following day we went for breakfast again leaving bag and possessions in the room. After finishing breakfast we checked out and vacated, as we were planning to spend the day shopping in Leicester with the money that had been saved over some months for our forthcoming holiday. We arrived in Leicester and proceeded to shop. Not until I came to pay for selected items did I discover that all my money had been stolen. (I had not touched my purse in my bag since checking into the hotel). I immediately rang Brownsover Lodge and was informed by the receptionist that it couldn't of happened there, but the Duty Manager Alan Moxon would ring me the following day. We left Leicester very upset and with no shopping.

Alan Moxon did ring the following day, and pretty much told me the same as the receptionist. I found him abrupt, unsympathetic, unapologetic and very uncaring. I informed him that I would be reporting it to the police, which I did and was told they would be looking into my burglary (their word not mine).

Nearly 4 weeks later I've still not had any communication from Brownsover Hall to at least apologise for my upset, however today 22nd August Rugby police have called me to say it wasn't an isolated incident in the hotel as over the past 2 months they have been informed of 4 other burglaries on the premises.

I certainly wont be recommending this hotel to anyone, as personal possessions are not safe to be left unattended in locked rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is secure, and don't leave your belongings in it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Nikki W
Thank you for your comments.
In all our telephone conversations with you, we have expressed our regret and concern. We further recommended that you report the incident with the Police. We understand that you are upset, however Management is obliged to follow legal procedures when dealing with senstive matters relating to guests' belongings. We totally understand this is not what you want to hear, but those are the guideslines we have to follow.
We are working closely with the Police and assisting in their investigations at a number of local hotels. As a precaution, outside locks at Brownsover Hall have been changed and surveillance checks increased as guest's security is our priority.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one nights dinner b & b, and it exceeded all expectations. Our room was beautiful, with a wonderful view of the gardens. Shower lacked pressure but other than that perfection. We ate in the restaurant and both had fillet tails which were delicious and perfectly cooked. No room for dessert, but did enjoy a superb half carafe of zinfandel. Hired bikes the next day and rode along the canal. All in all a fabulous stay at a great hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Bravo Brownsover!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank RalphLub
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and use of our bikes to explore the area.
Welcome back in the not so distant future.
Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel is looking very tired and in need of a lick of paint and general tidy. It could be such a lovely place to stay. The room we had in the stable block was comfortable, clean, spacious and quiet. On arrival in need of a cup of tea we found there were only two tea bags but after a request with reception four more were brought along with some fresh milk. The next day only two tea bags again! The shower was excellent, breakfast a little disappointing, hardly any fruit and rubber toast.
We chose this hotel because we prefer not to stay in Premier/Travel lodge type of place and when visiting the family in the area again would stay there hoping they have had a bit of decoration done.

Room Tip: Stable block rooms are probably quieter when weddings are taking place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank for your frank comments.The hotel is over one hundred and fifty years old; the basic fabric of the building is very sound and we have a rolling programme of maintenance throughout the year. Some of the public areas are due shortly for refurbishment as well as some of the rooms, and I anticipate this work will be carried out in the nearest future. You might try some of the rooms in the main house, if you prefer a more comtemporary feel.
Welcome back the next time you are visiting the Rugby area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
Draycote Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,718 reviews

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!